Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev's official visit to France will give impetus to further development of the cooperation between the two countries in all areas, Elkhan Shahinoglu, director of the Baku-based Atlas Research Center, told APA.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev paid an official visit to France on March 12-15.
Shahinoglu noted that this visit was important for several reasons.
“Firstly, in early March Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan paid a visit to France and made some statements there. Following this, President Ilham Aliyev visited Paris where he exposed the Armenian president’s lies through arguments. Armenia has a lot of debts and is experiencing a growing migration problem. In such a case, which French company can agree to invest in Armenia? On the contrary, French companies can show interest in investing in Azerbaijan, because large projects are being implemented in Azerbaijan, which has large financial resources and transport opportunities of which will connect large continents. All this is more attractive,” he said.
The political analyst noted that the second factor which emphasizes the importance of President Aliyev’s visit to France is related to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Shahinoglu continued: “During his visit to France, Sargsyan made numerous false statements about the issue. According to the Armenian websites, allegedly Hollande said at one of the meetings that the status of Nagorno-Karabakh should be determined, after which it would be possible to liberate five districts. We could not find out whether it was true or not as Armenian websites prefer to spread disinformation. But the fact is that at his meeting with the Azerbaijani president Hollande did not make such a statement. On the contrary, he stressed the need to ensure peace in the region, intensify peace talks and strengthen the OSCE Minsk Group’s activity. President Aliyev, in turn, repeatedly stated that the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan cannot be a topic for negotiations. This was a serious message to the French president as well.”
As for illegal activities of some French companies in Nagorno-Karabakh, the political analyst noted that President Aliyev also highlighted this issue during his visit to France.
“The head of state asked what the French companies are gaining by being engaged in these activities not in Azerbaijan, but in its occupied territories. They will be blacklisted and deprived of cooperation with Azerbaijan. The matter is about small companies. None of great companies would like to operate in the separatist region. If blacklisted it will be detrimental to them,” he added.
Political analyst Gabil Huseynli in his statement to APA stressed the importance of the Azerbaijani president’s recent visit to France.
"Earlier, the Armenian President visited Russia, and from there he went to France. Now Sargsyan is going to Moscow again. I’m beginning to suspect that France and Russia have begun to take a common position with regard to resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. However, a number of points that are not in favor of Azerbaijan have appeared in this position. Using the expression ‘Artsakh,’ Francois Hollande showed this,” he said.
He noted that considering the above, the Azerbaijani president’s visit to Paris came at an opportune moment as Ilham Aliyev discussed the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Hollande and stated Azerbaijan’s position.
Huseynli continued: “This was also a warning to the French leader that he should give up his pro-Armenian position and act within the framework of international law and the well-known resolutions of the UN Security Council. The Azerbaijani president also revealed the truth that about 20 French companies are operating in the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and the other occupied territories of Azerbaijan, which means a violation of international law by France. Azerbaijan’s head of state stressed that French companies must stop their activities in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, otherwise lawsuits can be filed and other legal measures taken.”
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador