Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev's official visit to France will give impetus to further development of the cooperation between the two countries in all areas, Elkhan Shahinoglu, director of the Baku-based Atlas Research Center, told APA.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev paid an official visit to France on March 12-15.
Shahinoglu noted that this visit was important for several reasons.
“Firstly, in early March Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan paid a visit to France and made some statements there. Following this, President Ilham Aliyev visited Paris where he exposed the Armenian president’s lies through arguments. Armenia has a lot of debts and is experiencing a growing migration problem. In such a case, which French company can agree to invest in Armenia? On the contrary, French companies can show interest in investing in Azerbaijan, because large projects are being implemented in Azerbaijan, which has large financial resources and transport opportunities of which will connect large continents. All this is more attractive,” he said.
The political analyst noted that the second factor which emphasizes the importance of President Aliyev’s visit to France is related to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Shahinoglu continued: “During his visit to France, Sargsyan made numerous false statements about the issue. According to the Armenian websites, allegedly Hollande said at one of the meetings that the status of Nagorno-Karabakh should be determined, after which it would be possible to liberate five districts. We could not find out whether it was true or not as Armenian websites prefer to spread disinformation. But the fact is that at his meeting with the Azerbaijani president Hollande did not make such a statement. On the contrary, he stressed the need to ensure peace in the region, intensify peace talks and strengthen the OSCE Minsk Group’s activity. President Aliyev, in turn, repeatedly stated that the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan cannot be a topic for negotiations. This was a serious message to the French president as well.”
As for illegal activities of some French companies in Nagorno-Karabakh, the political analyst noted that President Aliyev also highlighted this issue during his visit to France.
“The head of state asked what the French companies are gaining by being engaged in these activities not in Azerbaijan, but in its occupied territories. They will be blacklisted and deprived of cooperation with Azerbaijan. The matter is about small companies. None of great companies would like to operate in the separatist region. If blacklisted it will be detrimental to them,” he added.
Political analyst Gabil Huseynli in his statement to APA stressed the importance of the Azerbaijani president’s recent visit to France.
"Earlier, the Armenian President visited Russia, and from there he went to France. Now Sargsyan is going to Moscow again. I’m beginning to suspect that France and Russia have begun to take a common position with regard to resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. However, a number of points that are not in favor of Azerbaijan have appeared in this position. Using the expression ‘Artsakh,’ Francois Hollande showed this,” he said.
He noted that considering the above, the Azerbaijani president’s visit to Paris came at an opportune moment as Ilham Aliyev discussed the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Hollande and stated Azerbaijan’s position.
Huseynli continued: “This was also a warning to the French leader that he should give up his pro-Armenian position and act within the framework of international law and the well-known resolutions of the UN Security Council. The Azerbaijani president also revealed the truth that about 20 French companies are operating in the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and the other occupied territories of Azerbaijan, which means a violation of international law by France. Azerbaijan’s head of state stressed that French companies must stop their activities in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, otherwise lawsuits can be filed and other legal measures taken.”
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador