Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev's official visit to France will give impetus to further development of the cooperation between the two countries in all areas, Elkhan Shahinoglu, director of the Baku-based Atlas Research Center, told APA.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev paid an official visit to France on March 12-15.
Shahinoglu noted that this visit was important for several reasons.
“Firstly, in early March Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan paid a visit to France and made some statements there. Following this, President Ilham Aliyev visited Paris where he exposed the Armenian president’s lies through arguments. Armenia has a lot of debts and is experiencing a growing migration problem. In such a case, which French company can agree to invest in Armenia? On the contrary, French companies can show interest in investing in Azerbaijan, because large projects are being implemented in Azerbaijan, which has large financial resources and transport opportunities of which will connect large continents. All this is more attractive,” he said.
The political analyst noted that the second factor which emphasizes the importance of President Aliyev’s visit to France is related to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Shahinoglu continued: “During his visit to France, Sargsyan made numerous false statements about the issue. According to the Armenian websites, allegedly Hollande said at one of the meetings that the status of Nagorno-Karabakh should be determined, after which it would be possible to liberate five districts. We could not find out whether it was true or not as Armenian websites prefer to spread disinformation. But the fact is that at his meeting with the Azerbaijani president Hollande did not make such a statement. On the contrary, he stressed the need to ensure peace in the region, intensify peace talks and strengthen the OSCE Minsk Group’s activity. President Aliyev, in turn, repeatedly stated that the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan cannot be a topic for negotiations. This was a serious message to the French president as well.”
As for illegal activities of some French companies in Nagorno-Karabakh, the political analyst noted that President Aliyev also highlighted this issue during his visit to France.
“The head of state asked what the French companies are gaining by being engaged in these activities not in Azerbaijan, but in its occupied territories. They will be blacklisted and deprived of cooperation with Azerbaijan. The matter is about small companies. None of great companies would like to operate in the separatist region. If blacklisted it will be detrimental to them,” he added.
Political analyst Gabil Huseynli in his statement to APA stressed the importance of the Azerbaijani president’s recent visit to France.
"Earlier, the Armenian President visited Russia, and from there he went to France. Now Sargsyan is going to Moscow again. I’m beginning to suspect that France and Russia have begun to take a common position with regard to resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. However, a number of points that are not in favor of Azerbaijan have appeared in this position. Using the expression ‘Artsakh,’ Francois Hollande showed this,” he said.
He noted that considering the above, the Azerbaijani president’s visit to Paris came at an opportune moment as Ilham Aliyev discussed the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Hollande and stated Azerbaijan’s position.
Huseynli continued: “This was also a warning to the French leader that he should give up his pro-Armenian position and act within the framework of international law and the well-known resolutions of the UN Security Council. The Azerbaijani president also revealed the truth that about 20 French companies are operating in the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and the other occupied territories of Azerbaijan, which means a violation of international law by France. Azerbaijan’s head of state stressed that French companies must stop their activities in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, otherwise lawsuits can be filed and other legal measures taken.”
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador