Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
The head of state recalled his recent visit to Brussels, saying fruitful discussions and negotiations were held during the trip. He noted that these negotiations once again demonstrated a joint approach to the issue of further expansion of bilateral cooperation.
President Ilham Aliyev described as symbolic the fact that the negotiations on a new agreement on Azerbaijan-EU partnership started the next day after the visit, adding that the negotiations successfully continue.
Describing Azerbaijan as a reliable partner for the EU, the head of state noted that this relationship is of strategic nature and is aimed at long- term targets. He noted that bilateral cooperation continues in an atmosphere of stability and security.
President Ilham Aliyev ponited out that the agenda of cooperation with the EU includes a wide range of issues as political dialogue, economic cooperation, and the issues covering the energy sector, hailing Azerbaijan's readiness to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties.
EU Commissioner for the European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations Johannes Hahn congratulated President Ilham Aliyev on the occasion of the National Salvation Day. The EU Commissioner described President Ilham Aliyev's recent visit to Brussels as a success. He said that the negotiations on a partnership agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU started just after this visit, adding the negotiations continue in a constructive spirit. Emphasizing the importance of determining ways of addressing the issues that might affect bilateral relationship, Johannes Hahn underlined the mutual interest in developing bilateral ties in the years ahead. He said the EU is interested that there is stability in the neighboring countries, adding that Azerbaijan plays an important role in the region and in a broader area in this regard.
They discussed the simplification of visa regime between Azerbaijan and the European Union, as well as the state of cooperation in the fields of energy and transportation, and hailed good prospects in these areas.
They also exchanged views on regional issues.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 07.06.2017EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.06.2017New book published in US exposes anti-Azerbaijani policy of Armenian lobby
- 07.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 07.06.2017Baku to host next round of Azerbaijan-EU talks
- 05.06.2017Baku hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Georgia-Turkey trilateral relations
- 05.06.2017Baku comments on EU and Washington’s statements on Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest