Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
The statement by Georgia’s prime minister about the possibility of providing Armenia with access to Russia through Georgia’s territory has aroused a protest at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani Parliament on Friday.
MP Faraj Guliyev called on the parliament to protest against this issue in a formal way.
Lawmaker Gudrat Hasanguliyev, recalling major projects between Azerbaijan and Georgia, said that Azerbaijan should not remain silent. He urged that the Georgian ambassador be summoned to the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry and asked for an explanation.
MP Aflatun Amashov noted that by allows this, Georgia actually recognize violation of its own territorial integrity.
Another MP Aytan Mustafayeva also slammed the Georgian PM's statement.
Speaker Ogtay Asadov also noted that Georgian experts have warned against taking a step against the nature of strategic alliance with Azerbaijan.
"It is possible that somebody in Georgia wants to break our relations. But I do not believe that the Georgian authorities will take that step. We have drawn the Kars railway, from which Georgia is also benefiting. We’ll tell the friendship group to investigate the issue,” he added.
The Georgian government has signed a contract with the Swiss company SGS to transport cargoes to Russia through its territory, and, if needed, through the uncontrolled Zhinvali region. Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said that in case of an emergency at the Kazbegi-Yukhari Lars customs checkpoint, the cargo would be transported via the specified route.
"No item of this contract has been directed against Georgia's interests. The issue is, if a force majeure—such as heavy snow or landslide—occurs at the Yukhari Lars customs checkpoint, the route in the direction of Zhinvali can be used. This corridor can be used by other countries, by Turkey and Armenia, as well as other countries benefiting from our country’s transit potential. However, this is still a unilateral signing. We continue negotiating, because there are some conditions put forward by Russia that are unacceptable to us," Kvirikashvili said in his speech to the Georgian parliament.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 20.11.2013President Ilham Aliyev receives British MP, Prime Minister's Trade Envoy to Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan
- 20.11.2013Belarusian President starts his official visit to Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2013Azerbaijani, Belarus Presidents open new building of Belarus Embassy in Baku - PHOTO
- 20.11.2013Azerbaijan-France Intergovernmental Commission meeting to be held next week
- 20.11.2013Azerbaijani and Turkish foreign ministers invited to Armenia
- 19.11.2013Azerbaijani President ends working visit to Austria