Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia must understand that attempts to seize territories by force ‘unacceptable’
Armenia must understand that attempts to change the internationally recognized borders of states and seize territories by force are unacceptable and can in no way be considered legitimate, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told APA on Tuesday.
He was commenting on the statement made by Vice-Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Edward Sharmazanov during a meeting with a Latvian delegation.
"Armenia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Shavarsh Kocharyan seems to be faced with a new rival, the Vice Speaker of the Armenian Parliament Edward Sharmazanov. But from the point of view of illogicality and indifference, their statements are the same,” the spokesman said.
Before speaking on behalf of the European Union, Sharmazanov had better familiarize himself with EU documents, Hajiyev stressed.
"The joint declaration of the Eastern Partnership (EaP) Summit held in Brussels reiterated support for the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of all the EaP countries. The declaration states that the European Union remains committed to supporting the territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty of all its partners. The statement also makes references to the Helsinki Final Act, the Charter of Paris (1990) and the EU Global Strategy," he said.
According to Hajiyev, the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders in the EU Global Strategy are the key elements of the European security order.
"These principles apply to all EU member states and all other states beyond the EU’s borders (The sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of states, the inviolability of borders, and the peaceful settlement of disputes are the key elements of the European security order. These principles apply to all states, both within and beyond the EU’s borders),” he added.
Hajiyev also said that the resolution “On EU’s foreign and security policy”, passed by the European Parliament on December 13, 2017, affirms the European Parliament’s commitment to supporting the territorial integrity of the EaP countries within their internationally recognized borders.
“It is no coincidence that territorial integrity, sovereignty and border inviolability are the basic principles for Europe, which has suffered from World War II and fascist invasion,” he said.
“Armenia must understand that attempts to change the internationally recognized borders of states and seize territories by force are unacceptable and can in no way be considered legitimate,” added Hajiyev.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku on Dec. 20
- 19.12.2017Iranian President's chief of staff to visit Baku
- 19.12.2017Azerbaijani president invited to visit Czech Republic
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Tajikistan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Russian ambassador
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan is a very reliable partner for NATO – Hungarian envoy