Azerbaijani, Italian FMs meet in Palermo
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Italy’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Angelino Alfano within the framework OSCE Mediterranean conference taking place in Palermo, October 24-25, 2017.
At the meeting the ministers expressed their satisfaction with high level relations based on mutual understanding, friendship and dialogue between Azerbaijan and Italy as well as stressed the importance of high level mutual visits with a view of further promotion of relations, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The Italian minister highly appreciated Mammadyarov’s participation at the conference.
"Azerbaijan is a reliable partner of Italy", Angelino Alfano stressed, adding that Italy attaches particular importance to its cooperation with Azerbaijan as a secular and moderate country.
Noting the existence of strategic partnership relations between the two countries, Mammadyarov underlined that Italy is one of the most important partners of Azerbaijan in the European Union.
Ministers stressed the strategic importance of cooperation in energy field between the two countries and in this regards, referred to the Southern Gas Corridor and TANAP and TAP projects. Angelino Alfano emphasized the significance of TAP project in diversification of gas supplies and ensuring energy security of his country.
During the meeting, comprehensive development of cooperation in the fields of economy, trade, culture, science-education, tourism and others between the two countries was noted with satisfaction.
Mammadyarov touched upon the latest negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and reiterated just position of Azerbaijan on settlement process based on the norms and principles of international law and the Helsinki Final Act.
Furthermore, he emphasized the importance of applying the same approach by EU guided by the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, and inviolability of borders in regards with all protracted conflicts, as endorsed by the EU Security Strategy.
Touching upon the priorities of his country during OSCE chairmanship in next year, Angelino Alfano reiterated that Italy supports the efforts towards the peaceful settlement of conflict with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs.
At the meeting the sides reviewed Azerbaijan-EU relations as well.
The Italian minister stated that his country will continue to support Azerbaijan's cooperation with the EU.
Mammadyarov stressed that the negotiations on the strategic partnership agreement between Azerbaijan and the European Union are being continued intensively. He also talked about the North-South and East-West transport corridors and the favorable opportunities provided by these projects.
During the meeting, the sides exchanged views on the cooperation within the international organizations and regional issues of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 25.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to China's Xi Jinping
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan to allocate about AZN 57 mln to embassies, consulates abroad
- 25.10.2017Iran-Turkmenistan-Kazakhstan railway – serious geopolitical factor: Turkmen diplomat
- 24.10.2017Named the main expectation of Azerbaijan from the summit of the Eastern Partnership
- 24.10.2017Baku says Mexican MPs’ illegal visit to Karabakh ‘under investigation’
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: No solutions in sight for too many unresolved conflicts causing human sufferings