Azerbaijani, Italian FMs meet in Palermo
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Italy’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Angelino Alfano within the framework OSCE Mediterranean conference taking place in Palermo, October 24-25, 2017.
At the meeting the ministers expressed their satisfaction with high level relations based on mutual understanding, friendship and dialogue between Azerbaijan and Italy as well as stressed the importance of high level mutual visits with a view of further promotion of relations, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The Italian minister highly appreciated Mammadyarov’s participation at the conference.
"Azerbaijan is a reliable partner of Italy", Angelino Alfano stressed, adding that Italy attaches particular importance to its cooperation with Azerbaijan as a secular and moderate country.
Noting the existence of strategic partnership relations between the two countries, Mammadyarov underlined that Italy is one of the most important partners of Azerbaijan in the European Union.
Ministers stressed the strategic importance of cooperation in energy field between the two countries and in this regards, referred to the Southern Gas Corridor and TANAP and TAP projects. Angelino Alfano emphasized the significance of TAP project in diversification of gas supplies and ensuring energy security of his country.
During the meeting, comprehensive development of cooperation in the fields of economy, trade, culture, science-education, tourism and others between the two countries was noted with satisfaction.
Mammadyarov touched upon the latest negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and reiterated just position of Azerbaijan on settlement process based on the norms and principles of international law and the Helsinki Final Act.
Furthermore, he emphasized the importance of applying the same approach by EU guided by the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, and inviolability of borders in regards with all protracted conflicts, as endorsed by the EU Security Strategy.
Touching upon the priorities of his country during OSCE chairmanship in next year, Angelino Alfano reiterated that Italy supports the efforts towards the peaceful settlement of conflict with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs.
At the meeting the sides reviewed Azerbaijan-EU relations as well.
The Italian minister stated that his country will continue to support Azerbaijan's cooperation with the EU.
Mammadyarov stressed that the negotiations on the strategic partnership agreement between Azerbaijan and the European Union are being continued intensively. He also talked about the North-South and East-West transport corridors and the favorable opportunities provided by these projects.
During the meeting, the sides exchanged views on the cooperation within the international organizations and regional issues of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 25.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to China's Xi Jinping
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan to allocate about AZN 57 mln to embassies, consulates abroad
- 25.10.2017Iran-Turkmenistan-Kazakhstan railway – serious geopolitical factor: Turkmen diplomat
- 24.10.2017Named the main expectation of Azerbaijan from the summit of the Eastern Partnership
- 24.10.2017Baku says Mexican MPs’ illegal visit to Karabakh ‘under investigation’
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijani FM: No solutions in sight for too many unresolved conflicts causing human sufferings