Azerbaijani, Italian FMs meet in Palermo
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Italy’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Angelino Alfano within the framework OSCE Mediterranean conference taking place in Palermo, October 24-25, 2017.
At the meeting the ministers expressed their satisfaction with high level relations based on mutual understanding, friendship and dialogue between Azerbaijan and Italy as well as stressed the importance of high level mutual visits with a view of further promotion of relations, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The Italian minister highly appreciated Mammadyarov’s participation at the conference.
"Azerbaijan is a reliable partner of Italy", Angelino Alfano stressed, adding that Italy attaches particular importance to its cooperation with Azerbaijan as a secular and moderate country.
Noting the existence of strategic partnership relations between the two countries, Mammadyarov underlined that Italy is one of the most important partners of Azerbaijan in the European Union.
Ministers stressed the strategic importance of cooperation in energy field between the two countries and in this regards, referred to the Southern Gas Corridor and TANAP and TAP projects. Angelino Alfano emphasized the significance of TAP project in diversification of gas supplies and ensuring energy security of his country.
During the meeting, comprehensive development of cooperation in the fields of economy, trade, culture, science-education, tourism and others between the two countries was noted with satisfaction.
Mammadyarov touched upon the latest negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and reiterated just position of Azerbaijan on settlement process based on the norms and principles of international law and the Helsinki Final Act.
Furthermore, he emphasized the importance of applying the same approach by EU guided by the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, and inviolability of borders in regards with all protracted conflicts, as endorsed by the EU Security Strategy.
Touching upon the priorities of his country during OSCE chairmanship in next year, Angelino Alfano reiterated that Italy supports the efforts towards the peaceful settlement of conflict with the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs.
At the meeting the sides reviewed Azerbaijan-EU relations as well.
The Italian minister stated that his country will continue to support Azerbaijan's cooperation with the EU.
Mammadyarov stressed that the negotiations on the strategic partnership agreement between Azerbaijan and the European Union are being continued intensively. He also talked about the North-South and East-West transport corridors and the favorable opportunities provided by these projects.
During the meeting, the sides exchanged views on the cooperation within the international organizations and regional issues of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 18.02.2009President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan will continue efforts for further strengthening of the Islamic solidarity”
- 18.02.2009Recep Tayyip Erdogan: “There is no change in our position on Karabakh”
- 19.02.2009CREW files complaint against Armenian National Committee of America – Western region (ANCA-WR) and the ANCA endowment fund
- 18.02.2009OIC Deputy Secretary General: “We support Azerbaijan in connection with Nagorno Karabakh conflict being as Muslim World”
- 18.02.2009Latvian President’s visit to Azerbaijan scheduled in the first half of 2009
- 18.02.2009Russian Foreign Minister to visit Azerbaijan