Azerbaijani deputy FM, UN reps mull issue of Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov received a delegation led by Georgette Gagnon, Director of the Field Operations and Technical Cooperation Division of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on November 28.
Khalafov expressed satisfaction with the current level of relations between the government of Azerbaijan and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. He mentioned that Azerbaijan conducts comprehensive and constructive discussions with various UN agencies, emphasizing the effectiveness of Azerbaijan’s cooperation with mandate-holders on special procedures of the UN Human Rights Council, the Foreign Ministry told APA.
The deputy foreign minister added that the Azerbaijani state pays special attention to ensuring human rights and fundamental freedoms, and improves the current national legislation in this field, regularly conducts judicial and legal reforms, simplifies the procedures in connection with the activities of NGOs, strengthens the civil society and approves national action programs in the field of human rights.
Georgette Gagnon, in turn, said the organization she represents greatly values cooperation with the Azerbaijani government and praises the steps it has taken toward implementing the UN’s sustainable development goals.
Khalafov mentioned the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict inhibiting provision of human rights in the country, more than a million Azerbaijanis having become refugees and internally displaced persons in the wake of Armenia's military aggression, and their rights and freedoms being massively violated with little attention from the international community.
The sides underscored the need to give an unequivocal assessment of the fact that Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev were taken hostage while visiting their homeland, which is a gross violation of international law.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 27.01.2011Chairman of Azerbaijan’s Supreme Court to attend official opening of judicial year at European Court
- 27.01.2011Ali Ahmedov: “Azerbaijan does not interfere in the internal affairs of other countries and other countries must not interfere in the affairs of Azerbaijan”
- 27.01.2011Chairman of European Court takes stance on considering of Azerbaijani IDPs’ pretension against Armenia
- 27.01.2011Date of OSCE Chairperson-in Office’s visit to Azerbaijan made public
- 26.01.2011Ganira Pashayeva: “Ask the commissioner Hammarberg what kind of moral anguishes and how many Azerbaijani refugees and IDPs experience nearly 20 years”
- 26.01.2011New US ambassador Matthew Bryza to arrive in Azerbaijan within two weeks