Azerbaijani foreign ministry: Event on separatist regime in Nagorno-Karabakh cancelled in Brussels
Baku – APA. Embassy of the Republic of Azerbaijan to the Kingdom of Belgium and Azerbaijani Parliament took necessary measures to prevent provocative events intended to be held in Brussels on November 16-19, 2016 in order to promote the so-called regime established by Armenia in occupied territories of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijani Diaspora organizations operating in Belgium were also involved in these measures.
Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev told APA that Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, federal and regional legislative bodies and other relevant institutions were informed about Azerbaijan’s concerns over the attempts of choosing Brussels as a center for the promotion of illegal regime.
“Though, the European Armenian Federation and other Armenian sources widely promoted the visit of Bako Sahakyan, who introduces himself as a “leader” of the so-called regime, to Brussels in connection with these events, this visit was cancelled as a result of purposeful measures,” said Hajiyev.
He noted that the meeting organized by MEP Frank Engel, who serves Armenia and the Armenian lobby, in the European Parliament, as well as reception on the occasion of “the 25th anniversary of independence of Nagorno Karabakh”, planned to be held in “Hay Daun” Armenian center in the presence of Bako Sahakyan on November 19 were also canceled.
Hajiyev said the letters of protest were sent to 'Palais des Beaux Arts' Palace and "Tour & Taxi" center in Brussels, regarding the photography exhibition and concert distorting history and culture of Azerbaijan's Nagorno-Karabakh region. “In respond, management of these companies expressed their respect to Azerbaijan's arguments, said they were unaware of the nature of these events and noted that they didn’t sell ticket for the events that were not open to the public, but their places were only rented under commercial terms. According to received information, only about 100 people, mainly the Armenians living in Belgium, attended the events on special invitation,” he added.
He stressed that official Yerevan, lobbying organization - European Armenian Federation and Armenian media prefer to remain silent following this failure despite widespread promotion.
“A large amount of money is collected from deceived members of the Armenian Diaspora for such events organized under "lobby diplomacy" of Armenia and the Armenian organizations in Europe. Then this money is given to Armenian authorities, Bako Sahakyan, officials of the European Armenian Federation and some European politicians serving the Armenian lobby,” he said.
Hajiyev added that instead of deceiving the international community and Armenian people through such meaningless and provocative acts, Armenia must cease its destructive policy, withdraw its troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories, take part in the resolution of the conflict and establishment of durable peace in the region through substantive negotiations.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 15.03.2018Existing opportunities should be utilized to bridge Asia with Europe, says Georgian FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey says quadrilateral co-op format with Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia to contribute to peace and stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs hail new format of quadrilateral cooperation
- 15.03.2018Baku Declaration adopted at meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs
- 15.03.2018Deputy PM: TAP is an important project for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15.03.2018PM Yildirim: Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia take serious steps to ensure regional security
- 21.11.2016Erdogan’s chief advisor: Armenia shamelessly continues occupation of Azerbaijani lands
- 21.11.2016Erdogan’s chief advisor: Russia will win a lot if it stops supporting occupant Armenia
- 21.11.2016EU, Azerbaijan creating delegations for talks on new partnership deal
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Donald Trump deserves great respect
- 18.11.2016Ilham Aliyev receives head of Russian State Duma Committee
- 18.11.2016US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State due in Azerbaijan