Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Wednesday met with his Vietnamese counterpart Fam Binh Minh as part of his official visit to this country, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Rauf Aliyev, a member of the Parliament and New Azerbaijan Party, also attended the meeting.
The ministers exchanged congratulatory letters addressed by heads of state on the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam.
Minister Mammadyarov said that bilateral relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam have deep historical bonds and in this regard, recalled the visit of former Vietnamese president Ho Chi Minh to Azerbaijan in 1959, and the visit of the Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev to Vietnam in 1983, as the First Deputy Chairman of the USSR Council of Ministers.
At the same time, Mammadyarov stressed the importance of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s visit to Vietnam in 2014 and Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang’s visit to Azerbaijan in 2015 in terms of deepening and promoting bilateral relations. He added that those mutual visits gave an impetus to the promotion of cooperation and the intensification of political dialogue between our countries.
Minister Mammadyarov noted that there are vast opportunities for expanding economic and trade relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam, and said that it is useful to conduct mutual business forums to identify such opportunities and explore new areas of cooperation. Also, Mammadyarov noted the role of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade-Economic and Scientific-Technical Cooperation between the two countries, established in 2015, and informed his counterpart about the meeting with the commission co-chair, Tran Tuan Anh.
Minister Mammadyarov briefed his counterpart on the potential of the North-South transport corridor, noting that Vietnam, which is interested in increasing export to Europe, will benefit from this project, and consequently shorten the transport route from Viet Nam to Europe.
Meanwhile, Mammadyarov shared brief information about the negotiating process on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the mediation of the Minsk Group co-chairs, saying that the relevant UN Security Council resolutions have yet not been implemented by Armenia. Furthermore, he added that the presence of military forces of Armenia in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan remains the main obstacle in the settlement of the conflict.
Minister Fam Binh Minh said that official visits played an important role in forging high-level cooperation between the two countries. He emphasized the importance of continuation of a successful political dialogue in the economic sphere, and noted the potential for trade turnover increase. He also proposed to intensify cooperation in the field of energy by benefiting Azerbaijan's successful energy policy and experience.
The Vietnamese minister said that the cooperation in transport and logistics could be a new page in the development of relations between the two countries.
Minister Fam Binh Minh noted that the memorandum of understanding on cooperation in agriculture and rural development between the Ministry of Agriculture of Azerbaijan and the Ministry of Agriculture of Vietnam, which was signed in 2015, has created a favorable ground for enhancing mutually beneficial cooperation in the field of agriculture and has opened numerous opportunities.
Minister Fam Binh Minh touched upon the expansion of cooperation in the field of education and gladly reminded that experts working in the oil field of Vietnam got their high education in Azerbaijan. He also added that Azerbaijani oilmen played a special role in the creation of Vietnam's Veso Petrol Company.
During the meeting, the ministers also discussed cooperation between the two countries within the framework of international organizations and the expansion of the legal-treaty framework.
After the meeting, the ministers held a joint press conference.
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy
- 14.09.2017Russia’s ruling party welcomes creation of ‘Moscow-Baku axis’
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Israel’s leading defense industry enterprises
- 14.09.2017US companies continue support for Azerbaijan’s key role in global energy security
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani president meets with Turkish energy minister
- 14.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: US-Azerbaijan co-op covers three equally important areas
- 14.09.2017PACE PA co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Turkey
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani president says he’s confident new agreement with EU will be signed soon - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hungary one of closest friends, partners of Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives new Tajik ambassador
- 12.09.2017Dutch ambassador comments on decisions about Mehman Aliyev, Alexander Lapshin
- 12.09.2017EU, Azerbaijan hold discussions on close partnership, says Dutch ambassador
- 11.09.2017Nghiem Vu Khai and Nguyen Vu Ha Len awarded Taraggi Medal of Azerbaijan
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani FM receives new EU delegation head
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Vietnam, Lao PDR
- 11.09.2017Israeli ambassador positively assesses pardon of Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Itinerary of PACE co-rapporteurs’ Azerbaijan visit made public
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani FM receives Spain’s new charge d’affaires
- 11.09.2017Tehran: Summit of Iranian, Azerbaijani, Russian presidents to focus on discussion of regional, int’l issues
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by secretary of Vietnam Communist Party
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan, S. Korea mark 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Astana - UPDATED
- 10.09.2017Azerbaijani President: We resolutely condemn massacre and mass violence against Muslims in Myanmar
- 13.09.2017UK minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Japanese PM sends letter to Azerbaijani president on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between two countries
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Switzerland
- 13.09.2017No date set for Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO