Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Wednesday met with his Vietnamese counterpart Fam Binh Minh as part of his official visit to this country, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Rauf Aliyev, a member of the Parliament and New Azerbaijan Party, also attended the meeting.
The ministers exchanged congratulatory letters addressed by heads of state on the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam.
Minister Mammadyarov said that bilateral relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam have deep historical bonds and in this regard, recalled the visit of former Vietnamese president Ho Chi Minh to Azerbaijan in 1959, and the visit of the Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev to Vietnam in 1983, as the First Deputy Chairman of the USSR Council of Ministers.
At the same time, Mammadyarov stressed the importance of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s visit to Vietnam in 2014 and Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang’s visit to Azerbaijan in 2015 in terms of deepening and promoting bilateral relations. He added that those mutual visits gave an impetus to the promotion of cooperation and the intensification of political dialogue between our countries.
Minister Mammadyarov noted that there are vast opportunities for expanding economic and trade relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam, and said that it is useful to conduct mutual business forums to identify such opportunities and explore new areas of cooperation. Also, Mammadyarov noted the role of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade-Economic and Scientific-Technical Cooperation between the two countries, established in 2015, and informed his counterpart about the meeting with the commission co-chair, Tran Tuan Anh.
Minister Mammadyarov briefed his counterpart on the potential of the North-South transport corridor, noting that Vietnam, which is interested in increasing export to Europe, will benefit from this project, and consequently shorten the transport route from Viet Nam to Europe.
Meanwhile, Mammadyarov shared brief information about the negotiating process on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the mediation of the Minsk Group co-chairs, saying that the relevant UN Security Council resolutions have yet not been implemented by Armenia. Furthermore, he added that the presence of military forces of Armenia in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan remains the main obstacle in the settlement of the conflict.
Minister Fam Binh Minh said that official visits played an important role in forging high-level cooperation between the two countries. He emphasized the importance of continuation of a successful political dialogue in the economic sphere, and noted the potential for trade turnover increase. He also proposed to intensify cooperation in the field of energy by benefiting Azerbaijan's successful energy policy and experience.
The Vietnamese minister said that the cooperation in transport and logistics could be a new page in the development of relations between the two countries.
Minister Fam Binh Minh noted that the memorandum of understanding on cooperation in agriculture and rural development between the Ministry of Agriculture of Azerbaijan and the Ministry of Agriculture of Vietnam, which was signed in 2015, has created a favorable ground for enhancing mutually beneficial cooperation in the field of agriculture and has opened numerous opportunities.
Minister Fam Binh Minh touched upon the expansion of cooperation in the field of education and gladly reminded that experts working in the oil field of Vietnam got their high education in Azerbaijan. He also added that Azerbaijani oilmen played a special role in the creation of Vietnam's Veso Petrol Company.
During the meeting, the ministers also discussed cooperation between the two countries within the framework of international organizations and the expansion of the legal-treaty framework.
After the meeting, the ministers held a joint press conference.
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 30.09.2014Putin: Russia-Azerbaijan trade grows, relations develop in all areas
- 30.09.2014Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev
- 30.09.2014Ali Hasanov: “Awarding” the persons, who were brought to justice over specified crimes, expose the true face of them and their defenders
- 29.09.2014Azerbaijani President: We see the Caspian Sea as a sea of friendship, peace, security and cooperation
- 29.09.2014Five-sided documents signed and joint statement adopted at Caspian summit - PHOTOSESSION
- 29.09.2014Heads of Caspian Sea littoral states agreed on joint political statement