Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Wednesday met with his Vietnamese counterpart Fam Binh Minh as part of his official visit to this country, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Rauf Aliyev, a member of the Parliament and New Azerbaijan Party, also attended the meeting.
The ministers exchanged congratulatory letters addressed by heads of state on the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam.
Minister Mammadyarov said that bilateral relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam have deep historical bonds and in this regard, recalled the visit of former Vietnamese president Ho Chi Minh to Azerbaijan in 1959, and the visit of the Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev to Vietnam in 1983, as the First Deputy Chairman of the USSR Council of Ministers.
At the same time, Mammadyarov stressed the importance of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s visit to Vietnam in 2014 and Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang’s visit to Azerbaijan in 2015 in terms of deepening and promoting bilateral relations. He added that those mutual visits gave an impetus to the promotion of cooperation and the intensification of political dialogue between our countries.
Minister Mammadyarov noted that there are vast opportunities for expanding economic and trade relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam, and said that it is useful to conduct mutual business forums to identify such opportunities and explore new areas of cooperation. Also, Mammadyarov noted the role of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade-Economic and Scientific-Technical Cooperation between the two countries, established in 2015, and informed his counterpart about the meeting with the commission co-chair, Tran Tuan Anh.
Minister Mammadyarov briefed his counterpart on the potential of the North-South transport corridor, noting that Vietnam, which is interested in increasing export to Europe, will benefit from this project, and consequently shorten the transport route from Viet Nam to Europe.
Meanwhile, Mammadyarov shared brief information about the negotiating process on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the mediation of the Minsk Group co-chairs, saying that the relevant UN Security Council resolutions have yet not been implemented by Armenia. Furthermore, he added that the presence of military forces of Armenia in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan remains the main obstacle in the settlement of the conflict.
Minister Fam Binh Minh said that official visits played an important role in forging high-level cooperation between the two countries. He emphasized the importance of continuation of a successful political dialogue in the economic sphere, and noted the potential for trade turnover increase. He also proposed to intensify cooperation in the field of energy by benefiting Azerbaijan's successful energy policy and experience.
The Vietnamese minister said that the cooperation in transport and logistics could be a new page in the development of relations between the two countries.
Minister Fam Binh Minh noted that the memorandum of understanding on cooperation in agriculture and rural development between the Ministry of Agriculture of Azerbaijan and the Ministry of Agriculture of Vietnam, which was signed in 2015, has created a favorable ground for enhancing mutually beneficial cooperation in the field of agriculture and has opened numerous opportunities.
Minister Fam Binh Minh touched upon the expansion of cooperation in the field of education and gladly reminded that experts working in the oil field of Vietnam got their high education in Azerbaijan. He also added that Azerbaijani oilmen played a special role in the creation of Vietnam's Veso Petrol Company.
During the meeting, the ministers also discussed cooperation between the two countries within the framework of international organizations and the expansion of the legal-treaty framework.
After the meeting, the ministers held a joint press conference.
- 23.01.2018Davos Economic Forum kicks off today
- 23.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Royal Philips CEO
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with founder of BlackRock in Davos
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with vice president of Chevron Corporation
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with LUKOIL president in Davos
- 22.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with President of the World Economic Forum in Davos - UPDATED
- 22.01.2018Council of Europe Sec. Gen. positively assesses measures taken in Azerbaijan to humanize penalties
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani-Korean inter-parliamentary working group to visit Baku
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani MP elected PACE vice-president
- 22.01.2018Michele Nicoletti elected new PACE President
- 22.01.2018PACE winter session kicks off today
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia to hold talks on border delimitation
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.09.2017UK minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Japanese PM sends letter to Azerbaijani president on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between two countries
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Switzerland
- 13.09.2017No date set for Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO