Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Wednesday met with his Vietnamese counterpart Fam Binh Minh as part of his official visit to this country, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Rauf Aliyev, a member of the Parliament and New Azerbaijan Party, also attended the meeting.
The ministers exchanged congratulatory letters addressed by heads of state on the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam.
Minister Mammadyarov said that bilateral relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam have deep historical bonds and in this regard, recalled the visit of former Vietnamese president Ho Chi Minh to Azerbaijan in 1959, and the visit of the Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev to Vietnam in 1983, as the First Deputy Chairman of the USSR Council of Ministers.
At the same time, Mammadyarov stressed the importance of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s visit to Vietnam in 2014 and Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang’s visit to Azerbaijan in 2015 in terms of deepening and promoting bilateral relations. He added that those mutual visits gave an impetus to the promotion of cooperation and the intensification of political dialogue between our countries.
Minister Mammadyarov noted that there are vast opportunities for expanding economic and trade relations between Azerbaijan and Vietnam, and said that it is useful to conduct mutual business forums to identify such opportunities and explore new areas of cooperation. Also, Mammadyarov noted the role of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade-Economic and Scientific-Technical Cooperation between the two countries, established in 2015, and informed his counterpart about the meeting with the commission co-chair, Tran Tuan Anh.
Minister Mammadyarov briefed his counterpart on the potential of the North-South transport corridor, noting that Vietnam, which is interested in increasing export to Europe, will benefit from this project, and consequently shorten the transport route from Viet Nam to Europe.
Meanwhile, Mammadyarov shared brief information about the negotiating process on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the mediation of the Minsk Group co-chairs, saying that the relevant UN Security Council resolutions have yet not been implemented by Armenia. Furthermore, he added that the presence of military forces of Armenia in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan remains the main obstacle in the settlement of the conflict.
Minister Fam Binh Minh said that official visits played an important role in forging high-level cooperation between the two countries. He emphasized the importance of continuation of a successful political dialogue in the economic sphere, and noted the potential for trade turnover increase. He also proposed to intensify cooperation in the field of energy by benefiting Azerbaijan's successful energy policy and experience.
The Vietnamese minister said that the cooperation in transport and logistics could be a new page in the development of relations between the two countries.
Minister Fam Binh Minh noted that the memorandum of understanding on cooperation in agriculture and rural development between the Ministry of Agriculture of Azerbaijan and the Ministry of Agriculture of Vietnam, which was signed in 2015, has created a favorable ground for enhancing mutually beneficial cooperation in the field of agriculture and has opened numerous opportunities.
Minister Fam Binh Minh touched upon the expansion of cooperation in the field of education and gladly reminded that experts working in the oil field of Vietnam got their high education in Azerbaijan. He also added that Azerbaijani oilmen played a special role in the creation of Vietnam's Veso Petrol Company.
During the meeting, the ministers also discussed cooperation between the two countries within the framework of international organizations and the expansion of the legal-treaty framework.
After the meeting, the ministers held a joint press conference.
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 15.03.2018Existing opportunities should be utilized to bridge Asia with Europe, says Georgian FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey says quadrilateral co-op format with Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia to contribute to peace and stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs hail new format of quadrilateral cooperation
- 15.03.2018Baku Declaration adopted at meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs
- 15.03.2018Deputy PM: TAP is an important project for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15.03.2018PM Yildirim: Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia take serious steps to ensure regional security
- 15.03.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 15.03.2018PACE to send 33-member delegation to Azerbaijan for election observation
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian and Georgian FMs to sign roadmap at Baku meeting
- 13.09.2017UK minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Japanese PM sends letter to Azerbaijani president on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between two countries
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Switzerland
- 13.09.2017No date set for Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO