Azerbaijani FM: Stability in Caspian region should be based on respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity
The fight against terrorism, transnational organized crime, arms trafficking, drug trafficking and human trafficking, as well as challenges and threats to international and regional stability and security necessitates unification of all the Caspian states, said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
He made the remarks at a meeting of the Caspian littoral states’ foreign ministers in Moscow on Tuesday, an APA correspondent reported from Moscow.
Mammadyarov underscored the need to expand trade, economic and cultural ties and to make further joint efforts for protection of the Caspian Sea as a place of peace, well-being, stability, and security for creation of necessary conditions for business and tourism development.
He said that the Caspian Sea is an important part of many international and regional projects aimed at improving the well-being of the peoples of the Caspian region and ensuring global energy security.
Mammadyarov went on to say that the strengthening of international cooperation, further improvement of investment environment for production of energy resources and their delivery to international markets, the creation of reliable and safe communications as well as the issues of attracting highly profitable and environmentally-friendly technologies remain a priority for the Caspian littoral states.
“Azerbaijan is sure that all issues related to the legal status of the Caspian Sea, in particular ensuring regional stability and security should be resolved in a spirit of respect for the sovereign rights of the Caspian states and on the basis of mutually beneficial partnership,” said Mammadyarov. “Confidence-building measures should provide equal security conditions for all Caspian littoral states.”
He stressed that the strengthening of stability in the Caspian Sea should be based on the respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence of the Caspian littoral states by taking into consideration the interests of all parties.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Turkish delegation - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian ICT minister - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives ITU Sec.Gen. - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: We’re pleased with level of coop in ‘Caspian Five’
- 05.12.2017Mammadyarov: Moscow meeting will be ‘a good opportunity’ for preparation of convention on Caspian Sea legal status
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan brings energy security to Europe – MP