Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
“I don’t have an optimistic view of meetings over the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, neither does my Armenian counterpart in his speeches give us a chance so that we can discuss something positive,” Mammadyarov told reporters in Baku Feb. 24, APA reported.
He mentioned that all international organizations have recognized Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
“In my visit to Moscow next month I will bring up this issue during the talks with Russia, an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country,” said Mammadyarov, adding. “We’re going to be discussing what actions to take in order to change the status quo. Everyone knows how the problem can be solved. It’s no secret to anyone what plan is awaiting on the negotiation table and that the problem cannot be solved in a day. First of all, the troops must be returned to their barracks so that we can restore the peace. This conflict is a big threat to the region.”
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018UK's May congratulates Ilham Aliyev on victory in presidential election - UPDATED
- 26.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with British MPs
- 26.04.2018Conference on future of Turkey-Russia relations kicks off in Antalya
- 26.04.2018PACE investigation body’s corruption report lacks ‘real facts’ – Azerbaijani MP
- 26.04.2018British minister: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election as president will ensure continuation of Azerbaijan’s rapid development
- 26.04.2018Head of Azerbaijani delegation slams corruption report by PACE Independent External Investigation Body
- 26.04.2018Allegations of corruption in PACE: Stefan Schennach objects to mention of his name in report
- 26.04.2018Angela Merkel congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow