Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
“I don’t have an optimistic view of meetings over the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, neither does my Armenian counterpart in his speeches give us a chance so that we can discuss something positive,” Mammadyarov told reporters in Baku Feb. 24, APA reported.
He mentioned that all international organizations have recognized Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
“In my visit to Moscow next month I will bring up this issue during the talks with Russia, an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country,” said Mammadyarov, adding. “We’re going to be discussing what actions to take in order to change the status quo. Everyone knows how the problem can be solved. It’s no secret to anyone what plan is awaiting on the negotiation table and that the problem cannot be solved in a day. First of all, the troops must be returned to their barracks so that we can restore the peace. This conflict is a big threat to the region.”
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 07.06.2018Queen Elizabeth's birthday celebrated in Baku
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Turkey on June 12
- 07.06.2018U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan hosts iftar dinner for Masalli women entrepreneurs
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow