Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
“I don’t have an optimistic view of meetings over the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, neither does my Armenian counterpart in his speeches give us a chance so that we can discuss something positive,” Mammadyarov told reporters in Baku Feb. 24, APA reported.
He mentioned that all international organizations have recognized Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
“In my visit to Moscow next month I will bring up this issue during the talks with Russia, an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country,” said Mammadyarov, adding. “We’re going to be discussing what actions to take in order to change the status quo. Everyone knows how the problem can be solved. It’s no secret to anyone what plan is awaiting on the negotiation table and that the problem cannot be solved in a day. First of all, the troops must be returned to their barracks so that we can restore the peace. This conflict is a big threat to the region.”
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2017Ukraine should liberalize its laws to attract Azerbaijani capital, says ambassador
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan against KRG referendum: CMO chairman
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with UNRWA commissioner-general in New York
- 24.09.2017Elmar Mammadyarov had bilateral meeting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan, Vanuatu establish diplomatic relations
- 23.09.2017OSCE PA’s Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan attaches primary importance to promotion of intercultural, interreligious dialogue – FM Mammadyarov
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never reconcile with occupation of its territories
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani President send congratulatory letter to King of Saudi Arabia
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow