Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
“I don’t have an optimistic view of meetings over the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, neither does my Armenian counterpart in his speeches give us a chance so that we can discuss something positive,” Mammadyarov told reporters in Baku Feb. 24, APA reported.
He mentioned that all international organizations have recognized Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
“In my visit to Moscow next month I will bring up this issue during the talks with Russia, an OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing country,” said Mammadyarov, adding. “We’re going to be discussing what actions to take in order to change the status quo. Everyone knows how the problem can be solved. It’s no secret to anyone what plan is awaiting on the negotiation table and that the problem cannot be solved in a day. First of all, the troops must be returned to their barracks so that we can restore the peace. This conflict is a big threat to the region.”
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian counterpart
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, EU sign document on Trans-European Transport Network
- 24.11.2017EaP Summit welcomes good progress in talks on new Eu-Azerbaijan agreement
- 24.11.2017EU reaffirms support to territorial integrity of all its partners
- 24.11.2017Joint declaration adopted at EaP summit in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Russia’s key role in relations with Azerbaijan, Armenia ‘apparent’, says Merkel
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign plan for security cooperation
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow