Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is playing a crucial role in maintaining the international peace and security, and addressing a wide range of issues from regional security to social and economic development, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
Mammadyarov made the remarks at a ministerial meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement on “Promulgation and Implementation of Unilateral Coercive Measures, in violation of International Law and the Human Rights of the Peoples subjected to them”, which was held in New York on Sept. 20, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
He noted that NAM is a true defender of justice and the rule of law in international relations.
According to him, being a viable and dynamic platform for the representations of diverse ideologies, NAM addresses the issues plaguing the world and matters of international concern.
“Unilateral coercive measures used against developing countries are contrary to international law, the Charter of UN and the norms and principles governing peaceful relations among States and affect the spirit of dialogue and political understanding among nations. It represents a breach of international peace and security and violates the principle of non-interference in internal affairs of sovereign states,” the top Azerbaijani diplomat said.
“Unilateral coercive measures prevent the economic and social development of the population of the affected country and have a negative impact on the human rights of people, in particular the rights of everyone to a standard of living adequate for their health and well-being, including food and medical care, housing and the necessary social services,” he added.
Mammadyarov stressed that it will be impossible for a state targeted to successfully embark upon the path towards sustainable development envisaged in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, for which all member states have pledged support.
He went on to say that in both economic and human development terms, unilateral coercive measures constrain and undermine the capacity of a state to mobilize resources for the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals.
“Taking this in mind, Azerbaijan applied to hold Expo-2025 in Baku. We are very much looking forward for the support by the NAM member states to the candidature of Azerbaijan, the only NAM candidate at the elections in Bureau for International Exhibitions,” he said.
Mammadyarov said that Azerbaijan supports the importance of dialogue to promote the peaceful settlement of disputes and, in this regard, supports to engaging in constructive dialogue between parties to the conflict.
“We believe that the key to solving the problem lies in the countries’ goodwill and readiness to seek mutually acceptable compromises,” he added.
Mammadyarov noted that Azerbaijan attaches a special importance to NAM’s principles and purposes.
“By carrying out independent foreign policy and not being a party to any military alliance, Azerbaijan makes consistent efforts to preserve international norms and principles and advance democratization, the respect for human rights and social justice on national and international level,” he said. “As a strong supporter of NAM goals and principles, I have the honor to invite NAM member states to Azerbaijan for the Ministerial Meeting. We propose April of 2018 and circulate an appropriate note verbale in this regard. I hope that with your unanimous support we will meet again at the level of Foreign Ministers in Baku next year.”
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Latvia: 'I think highly of voting process in Azerbaijan'
- 23.03.2018Date and agenda of PACE spring session announced
- 23.03.2018Flag hoisting ceremony held in Pakistani embassy in Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 01.03.2013Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry: The Armenian leadership has chosen the strategy of deceiving the people
- 01.03.2013Edward Nalbandian to meet with OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs on Sunday
- 01.03.2013Benediktas Juodka: “Initiatives undertaken by small groups of members of the Seimas do not represent the official position of the Seimas”
- 01.03.2013Washington to host annual Congress of Turkish-American Association
- 28.02.2013Protest held outside French Embassy in Azerbaijan
- 28.02.2013Mikheil Saakashvili visits Nakhchivan