Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is playing a crucial role in maintaining the international peace and security, and addressing a wide range of issues from regional security to social and economic development, said Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov.
Mammadyarov made the remarks at a ministerial meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement on “Promulgation and Implementation of Unilateral Coercive Measures, in violation of International Law and the Human Rights of the Peoples subjected to them”, which was held in New York on Sept. 20, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
He noted that NAM is a true defender of justice and the rule of law in international relations.
According to him, being a viable and dynamic platform for the representations of diverse ideologies, NAM addresses the issues plaguing the world and matters of international concern.
“Unilateral coercive measures used against developing countries are contrary to international law, the Charter of UN and the norms and principles governing peaceful relations among States and affect the spirit of dialogue and political understanding among nations. It represents a breach of international peace and security and violates the principle of non-interference in internal affairs of sovereign states,” the top Azerbaijani diplomat said.
“Unilateral coercive measures prevent the economic and social development of the population of the affected country and have a negative impact on the human rights of people, in particular the rights of everyone to a standard of living adequate for their health and well-being, including food and medical care, housing and the necessary social services,” he added.
Mammadyarov stressed that it will be impossible for a state targeted to successfully embark upon the path towards sustainable development envisaged in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, for which all member states have pledged support.
He went on to say that in both economic and human development terms, unilateral coercive measures constrain and undermine the capacity of a state to mobilize resources for the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals.
“Taking this in mind, Azerbaijan applied to hold Expo-2025 in Baku. We are very much looking forward for the support by the NAM member states to the candidature of Azerbaijan, the only NAM candidate at the elections in Bureau for International Exhibitions,” he said.
Mammadyarov said that Azerbaijan supports the importance of dialogue to promote the peaceful settlement of disputes and, in this regard, supports to engaging in constructive dialogue between parties to the conflict.
“We believe that the key to solving the problem lies in the countries’ goodwill and readiness to seek mutually acceptable compromises,” he added.
Mammadyarov noted that Azerbaijan attaches a special importance to NAM’s principles and purposes.
“By carrying out independent foreign policy and not being a party to any military alliance, Azerbaijan makes consistent efforts to preserve international norms and principles and advance democratization, the respect for human rights and social justice on national and international level,” he said. “As a strong supporter of NAM goals and principles, I have the honor to invite NAM member states to Azerbaijan for the Ministerial Meeting. We propose April of 2018 and circulate an appropriate note verbale in this regard. I hope that with your unanimous support we will meet again at the level of Foreign Ministers in Baku next year.”
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market