Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
The European Union should take a unified approach to the issue of territorial integrity and sovereignty of countries within their internationally recognized borders, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said at a meeting with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Mammadyarov stressed that in order to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and to create an environment for regional cooperation armed forces of Armenia have to withdraw from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Tuesday met with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12.
“On the sidelines of the Eastern Partnership meeting in Warsaw April 12, Estonian Foreign Minister Sven Mikser met with his Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov. The sides discussed bilateral relations, cooperation within the Eastern Partnership and EU-Azerbaijan ties,” Estonia’s Foreign Ministry has tweeted.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives European Parliament delegation
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit kicks off in Istanbul - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets crown prince of Abu Dhabi
- 21.05.2017Riyadh hosted Arab Islamic American Summit president Ilham Aliyev attended the event - UPDATED
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister starts official visit to Georgia
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijani president visits Saudi Arabia
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit Turkey
- 19.05.2017Ambassador: Hungary has strongest relations with Azerbaijan among South Caucasus countries
- 19.05.2017UAE foreign minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 16.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives executive vice chairman of Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
- 16.05.2017Baku says VAK liquidation can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in Karabakh settlement
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker, Russian State Duma chairman to discuss VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017FM: Italy will continue to support intensifying ties between Azerbaijan, EU
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP believes Russian court will change its decision on VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017Bulgaria has always supported Southern Gas Corridor project, says energy minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan invited to summit in Saudi Arabia that will be attended by Trump
- 14.05.2017Mammadyarov: “In diplomacy negotiations for the sake of negotiations do not exist”
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president