Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
The European Union should take a unified approach to the issue of territorial integrity and sovereignty of countries within their internationally recognized borders, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said at a meeting with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Mammadyarov stressed that in order to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and to create an environment for regional cooperation armed forces of Armenia have to withdraw from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Tuesday met with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12.
“On the sidelines of the Eastern Partnership meeting in Warsaw April 12, Estonian Foreign Minister Sven Mikser met with his Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov. The sides discussed bilateral relations, cooperation within the Eastern Partnership and EU-Azerbaijan ties,” Estonia’s Foreign Ministry has tweeted.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president