Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
The European Union should take a unified approach to the issue of territorial integrity and sovereignty of countries within their internationally recognized borders, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said at a meeting with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Mammadyarov stressed that in order to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and to create an environment for regional cooperation armed forces of Armenia have to withdraw from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Tuesday met with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12.
“On the sidelines of the Eastern Partnership meeting in Warsaw April 12, Estonian Foreign Minister Sven Mikser met with his Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov. The sides discussed bilateral relations, cooperation within the Eastern Partnership and EU-Azerbaijan ties,” Estonia’s Foreign Ministry has tweeted.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President meets with Polish Prime Minister
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “The Southern Gas Corridor is the only new source of gas supplies to Europe”
- 27.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Declaration signed between Azerbaijan and Poland is a very serious political document
- 27.06.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Poland hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Polish president: We would like to create a direct railway line between Azerbaijan and Poland
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents hold one-on-one meeting in Warsaw - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan, Poland sign documents
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents make statements to the press
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents exchange gifts
- 27.06.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Warsaw
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Warsaw for official visit
- 26.06.2017Uncertainty continues over Agramunt’s PACE presidency
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Russian deputy prime minister
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Executive Chairman of Formula One Group
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received editor-in-chief of Russian “Zavtra” newspaper
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Slovenian president
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Croatian president
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president