Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
The European Union should take a unified approach to the issue of territorial integrity and sovereignty of countries within their internationally recognized borders, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said at a meeting with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
Mammadyarov stressed that in order to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and to create an environment for regional cooperation armed forces of Armenia have to withdraw from the occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov on Tuesday met with his Estonian counterpart Sven Mikser in Warsaw April 12.
“On the sidelines of the Eastern Partnership meeting in Warsaw April 12, Estonian Foreign Minister Sven Mikser met with his Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov. The sides discussed bilateral relations, cooperation within the Eastern Partnership and EU-Azerbaijan ties,” Estonia’s Foreign Ministry has tweeted.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018“The visit of the Azerbaijani president to France is extremely important from the point of view of ensuring our national interests”
- 21.07.2018Angela Merkel to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani president meets with president of French National Assembly - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev completed France visit
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King Philippe of Belgium
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani, French presidents discuss settlement of Nagorno Karabakh conflict - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Sergio Mattarella’s visit to Azerbaijan in spotlight of Italian media
- 20.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: 177 foreign legal entities carry out illegal economic activities in occupied Azerbaijani lands - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with SADE director general
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Executive VP of Bouygues Travaux Publics
- 20.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Forms of threats to global security becoming more complex, dangerous
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president