Azerbaijani Embassy in France dismisses allegations on issuance of ID card to Eduard Grigoryan
Eduard Grigoryan, the mastermind behind the 1998 Sumgayit events, has not applied to the consular department of Azerbaijan’s Embassy in France and no consular service has been provided to him, the embassy told APA.
The embassy called on local media outlets to be careful about such matters and to abide by the principles of journalism.
“It is regrettable that a large-scale anti-Azerbaijani campaign is underway in Europe, particularly in France, ahead of the presidential election in our country. We think that the dissemination of a piece of information with reference to a social network post without verification is no coincidence. In this campaign that is going on in France in order to tarnish Azerbaijan’s image, the Armenian diaspora and Azerbaijani citizens who obtained political asylum in France act in a synchronized manner,” said the embassy.
Earlier, blogger Elnur Majidli, who lives in France, announced through a social network that Eduard Grigoryan, the mastermind behind the 1998 Sumgayit events, asked France for political asylum in the city of Orleans together with his family.
Majidli wrote that Grigoryan has been taken to the Azerbaijani Embassy in France in order for his identity to be proved and that has been given an identification card.
On the night of February 27 to 28, 1988, the mass riots in Sumgayit claimed the lives of 32 people—26 Armenians and 6 Azerbaijanis.
The riots were masterminded by Armenian nationalists, and Armenian provocateurs who spoke fluent Azerbaijani infiltrated to the city.
The events were part of a scenario carried by the USSR State Security Committee in collaboration with Armenians. Eduard Grigoryan, who had been selected to carry out the provocation in Sumgayit, was also an Armenian who had been in prison twice. Although Ahmad Ahmadov was sentenced to capital punishment as one of the masterminds behind the riots, eyewitness testimony proves that the criminal was actually Eduard Grigoryan.
Almost all Armenians killed were those who had refused to transfer money to Armenian terrorist funds. Eduard Grigoryan personally killed 5 Armenians, raped 8 Armenian women. However, Armenian organizations were able to save Grigoryan, who had committed such crimes, from being brought to justice. Grigoryan was sentenced to 12 years of imprisonment, but he was released a few years later. Another convicted person was Azerbaijani Ahmad Ahmadov, who was sentenced to death by the Moscow court, and the verdict was implemented.
On 9 January 2015, it was decided to prosecute Grigoryan as an accused in accordance with the relevant articles of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, which was in force until 1 September 200. By a court decision, a preventive measure in the form of arrest was chosen for Grigoryan, and he was declared wanted.
Today, Armenians continue to use the Sumgayit events for their own purposes.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 02.10.2009Indonesian quake caused no damage to Azerbaijanis or embassy
- 02.10.2009Richard Lugar: “The regional developments create good opportunities for the solution to Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 02.10.2009Robert Bradtke: The Nagorno Karabakh can not be solved without taking into consideration the position of the region’s population
- 02.10.2009STRATFOR’s CEO: Azerbaijan must have more active policy toward Turkey - EXCLUSIVE
- 02.10.2009OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs visit Khankendi
- 02.10.2009Presidents of Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan hold one-on-one meeting