Azerbaijani Embassy in France dismisses allegations on issuance of ID card to Eduard Grigoryan
Eduard Grigoryan, the mastermind behind the 1998 Sumgayit events, has not applied to the consular department of Azerbaijan’s Embassy in France and no consular service has been provided to him, the embassy told APA.
The embassy called on local media outlets to be careful about such matters and to abide by the principles of journalism.
“It is regrettable that a large-scale anti-Azerbaijani campaign is underway in Europe, particularly in France, ahead of the presidential election in our country. We think that the dissemination of a piece of information with reference to a social network post without verification is no coincidence. In this campaign that is going on in France in order to tarnish Azerbaijan’s image, the Armenian diaspora and Azerbaijani citizens who obtained political asylum in France act in a synchronized manner,” said the embassy.
Earlier, blogger Elnur Majidli, who lives in France, announced through a social network that Eduard Grigoryan, the mastermind behind the 1998 Sumgayit events, asked France for political asylum in the city of Orleans together with his family.
Majidli wrote that Grigoryan has been taken to the Azerbaijani Embassy in France in order for his identity to be proved and that has been given an identification card.
On the night of February 27 to 28, 1988, the mass riots in Sumgayit claimed the lives of 32 people—26 Armenians and 6 Azerbaijanis.
The riots were masterminded by Armenian nationalists, and Armenian provocateurs who spoke fluent Azerbaijani infiltrated to the city.
The events were part of a scenario carried by the USSR State Security Committee in collaboration with Armenians. Eduard Grigoryan, who had been selected to carry out the provocation in Sumgayit, was also an Armenian who had been in prison twice. Although Ahmad Ahmadov was sentenced to capital punishment as one of the masterminds behind the riots, eyewitness testimony proves that the criminal was actually Eduard Grigoryan.
Almost all Armenians killed were those who had refused to transfer money to Armenian terrorist funds. Eduard Grigoryan personally killed 5 Armenians, raped 8 Armenian women. However, Armenian organizations were able to save Grigoryan, who had committed such crimes, from being brought to justice. Grigoryan was sentenced to 12 years of imprisonment, but he was released a few years later. Another convicted person was Azerbaijani Ahmad Ahmadov, who was sentenced to death by the Moscow court, and the verdict was implemented.
On 9 January 2015, it was decided to prosecute Grigoryan as an accused in accordance with the relevant articles of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, which was in force until 1 September 200. By a court decision, a preventive measure in the form of arrest was chosen for Grigoryan, and he was declared wanted.
Today, Armenians continue to use the Sumgayit events for their own purposes.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 07.07.2018OSCE PA’s 27th annual session begins
- 06.07.2018Ramazan Abdulatipov: Caspian ‘on the brink of disaster’
- 05.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is becoming important East-West and North-South transport corridor - UPDATED
- 06.04.2018Number of Iraqi tourists visiting Azerbaijan on the rise – deputy FM
- 06.04.2018NAM Mid-Term Ministerial Conference underway in Baku
- 06.04.2018Final documents adopted at NAM Ministerial Conference in Baku
- 06.04.2018Ambassador Bashar Jaafari calls on Turkey to pull its troops out of Syria
- 06.04.2018Syrian ambassador to UN accuses some NAM countries of financing terrorism
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan is modern Muslim country: UAE FM