Azerbaijan supports territorial integrity of Spain – Foreign Ministry
The Republic of Azerbaijan supports the territorial integrity within the internationally recognized borders and sovereignty of the Kingdom of Spain, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA on Saturday.
“We stand for a peaceful settlement based on the constitution and laws of the Kingdom of Spain,” noted Hajiyev.
The official was commenting on the recent political turmoil in Spain, which intensified on Friday as the Madrid government dismissed Catalonia’s president and parliament hours after the region declared independence.
Spain was plunged into uncertainty on Oct. 1 when Catalonia, a prosperous northeastern state that accounts for 20 percent of Spain’s gross domestic product, held an independence referendum, though courts had declared the proceedings illegal. Separatists declared victory despite a participation of only 43 percent.
Hajiyev added that attempts to unilaterally violate the territorial integrity of the country accompanied by the violation of the country’s constitution and law, contrary to the will of the people and the central government, are unacceptable.
“The Republic of Azerbaijan has been suffering from this for more than 30 years. At the end of 1980s, separatism, which Armenians started in the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region of Azerbaijan SSR, was accompanied by a gross violation of the USSR constitution and the laws of Azerbaijan SSR. In this regard, after the ethnic cleansing of the native Azerbaijani population in the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region, the violence against them and acts of terrorism, an illegal referendum on the region’s independence was held against the will of the Azerbaijani people on December 10, 1991 with the participation of only Armenian community of Nagorno-Karabakh,” said the spokesman.
“With gaining the independence by Armenia and Azerbaijan after the collapse of the USSR, Armenia began an open war against Azerbaijan and occupied the Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding districts of Azerbaijan, committed ethnic cleansing in the occupied territories against the native Azerbaijani population. The aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan still continues,” added Hajiyev.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 28.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, strategic partnership, alliance will continue to strengthen
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents to outline future plans in Baku – ambassador
- 30.10.2017US ambassador: BTK project is important part of New Silk Road
- 27.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Although far apart, Azerbaijan and Australia can establish new co-op areas
- 27.10.2017Several bilateral documents to be signed during Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan
- 27.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Australian, Guatemalan ambassadors