Azerbaijan supports territorial integrity of Spain – Foreign Ministry
The Republic of Azerbaijan supports the territorial integrity within the internationally recognized borders and sovereignty of the Kingdom of Spain, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry, told APA on Saturday.
“We stand for a peaceful settlement based on the constitution and laws of the Kingdom of Spain,” noted Hajiyev.
The official was commenting on the recent political turmoil in Spain, which intensified on Friday as the Madrid government dismissed Catalonia’s president and parliament hours after the region declared independence.
Spain was plunged into uncertainty on Oct. 1 when Catalonia, a prosperous northeastern state that accounts for 20 percent of Spain’s gross domestic product, held an independence referendum, though courts had declared the proceedings illegal. Separatists declared victory despite a participation of only 43 percent.
Hajiyev added that attempts to unilaterally violate the territorial integrity of the country accompanied by the violation of the country’s constitution and law, contrary to the will of the people and the central government, are unacceptable.
“The Republic of Azerbaijan has been suffering from this for more than 30 years. At the end of 1980s, separatism, which Armenians started in the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region of Azerbaijan SSR, was accompanied by a gross violation of the USSR constitution and the laws of Azerbaijan SSR. In this regard, after the ethnic cleansing of the native Azerbaijani population in the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region, the violence against them and acts of terrorism, an illegal referendum on the region’s independence was held against the will of the Azerbaijani people on December 10, 1991 with the participation of only Armenian community of Nagorno-Karabakh,” said the spokesman.
“With gaining the independence by Armenia and Azerbaijan after the collapse of the USSR, Armenia began an open war against Azerbaijan and occupied the Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding districts of Azerbaijan, committed ethnic cleansing in the occupied territories against the native Azerbaijani population. The aggression and occupation of Armenia against Azerbaijan still continues,” added Hajiyev.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 28.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, strategic partnership, alliance will continue to strengthen
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents to outline future plans in Baku – ambassador
- 30.10.2017US ambassador: BTK project is important part of New Silk Road
- 27.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Although far apart, Azerbaijan and Australia can establish new co-op areas
- 27.10.2017Several bilateral documents to be signed during Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan
- 27.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Australian, Guatemalan ambassadors