Azerbaijan says UN report on human rights is one-sided, unbalanced
The report of UN rapporteurs on human rights, prepared on the results of the visit to Azerbaijan in September 2016, on the situation of human rights defenders in the country, is one-sided, unbalanced and runs contrary to the spirit of cooperation between Azerbaijan and the UN agencies, said Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev.
Mammad-Guliyev made this statement at the High-Level-Segment of the 34th Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, the Foreign Ministry’s press service told APA.
The deputy minister noted that Azerbaijan actively cooperates with the UN Human Rights Council and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
He said that UN special representatives and rapporteurs are always invited to Azerbaijan, which is a good example of constructive cooperation between Azerbaijan and the UN agencies on the promotion and protection of human rights.
Referring to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the deputy minister noted that twenty percent of the Azerbaijani territories were occupied, over a million Azerbaijani people became internally displaced and refugees, and their fundamental rights were violated as a result of Armenia’s military aggression.
Mammad-Guliyev also mentioned the act of genocide committed against civilians in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly on 26 February 1992, expressing regret that the perpetrators of this massacre have not yet been brought to justice.
The Azerbaijani diplomat called of the UN Human Rights Council and High Commissioner for Human Rights to step up their efforts to restore the violated rghts of Azerbaijani refugees and IPDs.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Book of condolences to be opened at Kyrgyz embassy in Baku tomorrow
- 29.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Qatar’s ex-PM
- 29.04.2017Brussels to host EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 28.04.2017Baku comments on Zakharova’s statement on Azerbaijani journalists
- 28.04.2017Secretary General Sawicki’s secret intelligence service in PACE - ARTICLE
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan says Turkey referendum is sign of people’s confidence in leadership
- 28.04.2017NATO allocates 100,000 euro for clearance of unexploded ordnance in Jeyranchel
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijanis stage protest outside Council of Europe headquarters
- 27.04.2017Italian ambassador to Azerbaijan to end his tenure this summer
- 27.04.2017Lithuanian MPs adopt statement condemning Khojaly Genocide
- 26.04.2017France says supports signing of new Azerbaijan-EU agreement
- 26.04.2017Ambassador: No facts confirming Azerbaijani companies’ participation in Yalta economic forum - UPDATED
- 26.04.2017EU says Baku talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan were ‘productive’
- 26.04.2017General: Turkey always stands by Azerbaijan
- 26.04.2017Novruz Mammadov accuses US politician of spreading false information
- 26.04.2017Metsamor – the only nuclear plant based on Chernobyl technology: Azerbaijani MFA
- 25.04.2017Samad Seyidov: Future of Council of Europe is under question
- 25.04.2017Bazhanov: Russia intends to strengthen relations with post-Soviet countries, including Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan provides humanitarian aid to Yemen
- 25.04.2017PACE holds hearing on Agramunt’s recent visit to Syria
- 25.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of new Japanese ambassador - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE opposes call to reopen monitoring procedure in respect of Turkey
- 25.04.2017Trump cuts financial aid to Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017BSEC committee meeting underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Candidates for post of UNESCO Director-General to be interviewed
- 24.04.2017Russian Foreign Ministry responds to request on measures to protect Russian citizen Dilgam Asgarov
- 24.04.2017CoE Committee of Ministers urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation
- 24.04.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Dubai tourism exhibition
- 24.04.2017Hamid Aboutalebi: Iran-Azerbaijan ties to develop further
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Lithuania
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador meets Russian justice minister
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan removes Georgian TV reporter from ‘black list’
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on March 6-7
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan – an invaluable partner in countering terrorism, former US military official says
- 01.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends visit to Pakistan
- 01.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to solidarity among Muslim countries - UPDATED