Azerbaijan says UN report on human rights is one-sided, unbalanced
The report of UN rapporteurs on human rights, prepared on the results of the visit to Azerbaijan in September 2016, on the situation of human rights defenders in the country, is one-sided, unbalanced and runs contrary to the spirit of cooperation between Azerbaijan and the UN agencies, said Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev.
Mammad-Guliyev made this statement at the High-Level-Segment of the 34th Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, the Foreign Ministry’s press service told APA.
The deputy minister noted that Azerbaijan actively cooperates with the UN Human Rights Council and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
He said that UN special representatives and rapporteurs are always invited to Azerbaijan, which is a good example of constructive cooperation between Azerbaijan and the UN agencies on the promotion and protection of human rights.
Referring to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the deputy minister noted that twenty percent of the Azerbaijani territories were occupied, over a million Azerbaijani people became internally displaced and refugees, and their fundamental rights were violated as a result of Armenia’s military aggression.
Mammad-Guliyev also mentioned the act of genocide committed against civilians in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly on 26 February 1992, expressing regret that the perpetrators of this massacre have not yet been brought to justice.
The Azerbaijani diplomat called of the UN Human Rights Council and High Commissioner for Human Rights to step up their efforts to restore the violated rghts of Azerbaijani refugees and IPDs.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Kazakh leader
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador meets Russian justice minister
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan removes Georgian TV reporter from ‘black list’
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on March 6-7
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan – an invaluable partner in countering terrorism, former US military official says
- 01.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends visit to Pakistan
- 01.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to solidarity among Muslim countries - UPDATED