Azerbaijan says UN report on human rights is one-sided, unbalanced
The report of UN rapporteurs on human rights, prepared on the results of the visit to Azerbaijan in September 2016, on the situation of human rights defenders in the country, is one-sided, unbalanced and runs contrary to the spirit of cooperation between Azerbaijan and the UN agencies, said Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev.
Mammad-Guliyev made this statement at the High-Level-Segment of the 34th Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, the Foreign Ministry’s press service told APA.
The deputy minister noted that Azerbaijan actively cooperates with the UN Human Rights Council and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
He said that UN special representatives and rapporteurs are always invited to Azerbaijan, which is a good example of constructive cooperation between Azerbaijan and the UN agencies on the promotion and protection of human rights.
Referring to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the deputy minister noted that twenty percent of the Azerbaijani territories were occupied, over a million Azerbaijani people became internally displaced and refugees, and their fundamental rights were violated as a result of Armenia’s military aggression.
Mammad-Guliyev also mentioned the act of genocide committed against civilians in the Azerbaijani town of Khojaly on 26 February 1992, expressing regret that the perpetrators of this massacre have not yet been brought to justice.
The Azerbaijani diplomat called of the UN Human Rights Council and High Commissioner for Human Rights to step up their efforts to restore the violated rghts of Azerbaijani refugees and IPDs.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2018Japan’s Emperor Akihito congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.05.2018Jamestown Foundation dedicates article to centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Los Angeles celebrates 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 24.05.2018Consultations held in Astana concerning Caspian legal status
- 24.05.2018Chinese president: Azerbaijan’s int’l status and influence growing day after day
- 24.05.2018Putin: Azerbaijan enjoys great authority in int’l community
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani president pardons 634 people - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Ambassador: French FM’s upcoming visit to Azerbaijan will be contribution to ADR centenary
- 24.05.2018Donald Trump sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador meets Russian justice minister
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan removes Georgian TV reporter from ‘black list’
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on March 6-7
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan – an invaluable partner in countering terrorism, former US military official says
- 01.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends visit to Pakistan
- 01.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to solidarity among Muslim countries - UPDATED