Azerbaijan says Netherlands’ actions against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics
The actions of the Netherlands against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on Sunday.
Some European institutions and in particular, a number of groups in the European Parliament, as well as the Netherlands, have made a "habit" of unreasonably criticizing other states, carry out "mentoring" and make claims against others using each opportunity, Hajiyev said.
The acts of the Dutch government, which considers human rights and democracy as its fundamental principles, against official representatives of Turkey, preventing Turkish people living there from assembling freely and use of force against them is of biased and contradictory nature, added the Foreign Ministry spokesman.
These actions are also a grave violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic and Consular Relations, as well as such fundamental principles as human rights and freedom of assembly and freedom of expression, Hajiyev said, adding that such actions go beyond the diplomatic ethics.
Netherlands canceled Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit after the diplomat pushed ahead with plans to address Turks in Rotterdam.
Dutch authorities also intercepted a vehicle that was transporting Family Minister Fatma Betul Kaya to the European country.
Police used force to disperse crowd after demonstrators gathered near where Kaya's vehicle was stopped.
"Hundreds of police set up a barricade between us and our citizens. No power can cut ties between us," she said on Twitter.
The Dutch said their decision to cancel Cavusoglu's flight for "security" and "public safety" came after the Turkish minister’s "threat" to impose sanctions on the Netherlands if the landing permit was revoked.
Turkey responded with a statement that requested to the charge d’affaires that "the Dutch ambassador who is on leave abroad [should] not return for a while”.
In a live broadcast later Saturday, Kaya confirmed she was blocked from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
"We expect Netherlands to return to democratic values as soon as possible. Freedom of expression, movement, freedom of assembly, all of these have been suspended right now," Kaya said.
A Turkish diplomatic source, who spoke to Anadolu Agency on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to media, said Dutch diplomatic missions in Ankara and Istanbul were closed for security concerns.
Minutes after the Dutch cancelation was announced, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the move as a measure by “Nazi remnants and fascists”.
Addressing an inauguration ceremony in Istanbul, Erdogan said: “How will your country’s [diplomatic] flights come here now after not granting permission to our foreign minister?”
Several events planned for senior ministers from the Justice and Development (AK) Party in Germany have been canceled in recent days due to what Berlin cites as security grounds.
Related news releases
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Warsaw for official visit
- 26.06.2017Uncertainty continues over Agramunt’s PACE presidency
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Russian deputy prime minister
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Executive Chairman of Formula One Group
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received editor-in-chief of Russian “Zavtra” newspaper
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Slovenian president
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Croatian president
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former French PM - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences over former German chancellor's death - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Lao foreign minister - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 17.06.2017Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijani president in France on official visit
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Vivaction Company president in Paris
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets deputy CEO of SUEZ Environment
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijani president receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Erdogan: "We discussed creating the tripartite union of Turkey, Russia and Azerbaijan"
- 10.03.2017French senator believes parliamentary diplomacy can positively affect Karabakh conflict settlement