Azerbaijan says Netherlands’ actions against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics
The actions of the Netherlands against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on Sunday.
Some European institutions and in particular, a number of groups in the European Parliament, as well as the Netherlands, have made a "habit" of unreasonably criticizing other states, carry out "mentoring" and make claims against others using each opportunity, Hajiyev said.
The acts of the Dutch government, which considers human rights and democracy as its fundamental principles, against official representatives of Turkey, preventing Turkish people living there from assembling freely and use of force against them is of biased and contradictory nature, added the Foreign Ministry spokesman.
These actions are also a grave violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic and Consular Relations, as well as such fundamental principles as human rights and freedom of assembly and freedom of expression, Hajiyev said, adding that such actions go beyond the diplomatic ethics.
Netherlands canceled Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit after the diplomat pushed ahead with plans to address Turks in Rotterdam.
Dutch authorities also intercepted a vehicle that was transporting Family Minister Fatma Betul Kaya to the European country.
Police used force to disperse crowd after demonstrators gathered near where Kaya's vehicle was stopped.
"Hundreds of police set up a barricade between us and our citizens. No power can cut ties between us," she said on Twitter.
The Dutch said their decision to cancel Cavusoglu's flight for "security" and "public safety" came after the Turkish minister’s "threat" to impose sanctions on the Netherlands if the landing permit was revoked.
Turkey responded with a statement that requested to the charge d’affaires that "the Dutch ambassador who is on leave abroad [should] not return for a while”.
In a live broadcast later Saturday, Kaya confirmed she was blocked from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
"We expect Netherlands to return to democratic values as soon as possible. Freedom of expression, movement, freedom of assembly, all of these have been suspended right now," Kaya said.
A Turkish diplomatic source, who spoke to Anadolu Agency on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to media, said Dutch diplomatic missions in Ankara and Istanbul were closed for security concerns.
Minutes after the Dutch cancelation was announced, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the move as a measure by “Nazi remnants and fascists”.
Addressing an inauguration ceremony in Istanbul, Erdogan said: “How will your country’s [diplomatic] flights come here now after not granting permission to our foreign minister?”
Several events planned for senior ministers from the Justice and Development (AK) Party in Germany have been canceled in recent days due to what Berlin cites as security grounds.
Related news releases
- 21.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former heads of state and government attending Global Young Leaders Forum
- 21.08.2017Latvia’s ex-president hails Azerbaijan’s experience in hosting high-profile events
- 21.08.2017Ismail Serageldin makes presentation on development of youth leadership at Baku forum
- 21.08.2017Opening session of Global Young Leaders Forum held in Baku
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs expected to meet in Baku next month
- 21.08.2017Global Young Leaders Forum kicks off in Baku
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Afghan counterpart
- 18.08.2017Bolivia expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty
- 18.08.2017Turkish president to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to King of Spain
- 18.08.2017No Azerbaijani nationals among Barcelona terror attack victims
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns Barcelona terror attack
- 17.08.2017Children of some countries’ presidents and ex-presidents to attend Baku forum
- 17.08.2017Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrated in Baku
- 16.08.2017Vladimir Dorokhin: Number of Azerbaijanis studying in Russia increases day by day
- 14.08.2017Ambassador: Pakistan-Azerbaijan relations higher than strategic partnership
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian president
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president receives Chairman of Belarusian State Border Committee
- 09.08.2017Turkmen president departs from Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates president of Singapore
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 08.08.2017Status of Caspian Sea discussed during meeting of Azerbaijani PM and Turkmen president
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan stand for transforming Caspian Sea into source of stability’
- 08.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev: ‘Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan relations at highest level’
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan stand for preserving int’l and regional security’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan president: ‘We want lasting stability and peace in the region’
- 08.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkmenistan co-op will deepen - UPDATED
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents make statement to the press
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan sign documents
- 08.08.2017Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmen-Azerbaijani relations experiencing new stage’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Nawaz Sharif's dismissal will not affect Pakistan's relations with other countries’
- 08.08.2017Ambassador: ‘Azerbaijan-Pakistan military coop developing in upward trend’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents hold meeting in expanded format
- 08.08.2017Turkmen president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 08.08.2017Tajikistan appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 05.08.2017Turkmen president to visit Azerbaijan
- 04.08.2017Ogtay Asadov to attend Rouhani’s oath-taking ceremony in Iran
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani president calls for unity among Muslim nations
- 03.08.2017Indonesia will always support Azerbaijan in Nagorno-Karabakh issue – ambassador
- 03.08.2017EU allocates € 13.5M to Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijani president in France on official visit
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Vivaction Company president in Paris
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets deputy CEO of SUEZ Environment
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijani president receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Erdogan: "We discussed creating the tripartite union of Turkey, Russia and Azerbaijan"
- 10.03.2017French senator believes parliamentary diplomacy can positively affect Karabakh conflict settlement