Azerbaijan says Netherlands’ actions against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics
The actions of the Netherlands against Turkey go beyond diplomatic ethics, Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesman Hikmet Hajiyev told APA on Sunday.
Some European institutions and in particular, a number of groups in the European Parliament, as well as the Netherlands, have made a "habit" of unreasonably criticizing other states, carry out "mentoring" and make claims against others using each opportunity, Hajiyev said.
The acts of the Dutch government, which considers human rights and democracy as its fundamental principles, against official representatives of Turkey, preventing Turkish people living there from assembling freely and use of force against them is of biased and contradictory nature, added the Foreign Ministry spokesman.
These actions are also a grave violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic and Consular Relations, as well as such fundamental principles as human rights and freedom of assembly and freedom of expression, Hajiyev said, adding that such actions go beyond the diplomatic ethics.
Netherlands canceled Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit after the diplomat pushed ahead with plans to address Turks in Rotterdam.
Dutch authorities also intercepted a vehicle that was transporting Family Minister Fatma Betul Kaya to the European country.
Police used force to disperse crowd after demonstrators gathered near where Kaya's vehicle was stopped.
"Hundreds of police set up a barricade between us and our citizens. No power can cut ties between us," she said on Twitter.
The Dutch said their decision to cancel Cavusoglu's flight for "security" and "public safety" came after the Turkish minister’s "threat" to impose sanctions on the Netherlands if the landing permit was revoked.
Turkey responded with a statement that requested to the charge d’affaires that "the Dutch ambassador who is on leave abroad [should] not return for a while”.
In a live broadcast later Saturday, Kaya confirmed she was blocked from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
"We expect Netherlands to return to democratic values as soon as possible. Freedom of expression, movement, freedom of assembly, all of these have been suspended right now," Kaya said.
A Turkish diplomatic source, who spoke to Anadolu Agency on the condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to media, said Dutch diplomatic missions in Ankara and Istanbul were closed for security concerns.
Minutes after the Dutch cancelation was announced, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the move as a measure by “Nazi remnants and fascists”.
Addressing an inauguration ceremony in Istanbul, Erdogan said: “How will your country’s [diplomatic] flights come here now after not granting permission to our foreign minister?”
Several events planned for senior ministers from the Justice and Development (AK) Party in Germany have been canceled in recent days due to what Berlin cites as security grounds.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017PACE holds hearing on Agramunt’s recent visit to Syria
- 25.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of new Japanese ambassador - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE opposes call to reopen monitoring procedure in respect of Turkey
- 25.04.2017Trump cuts financial assistance to Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2017BSEC committee meeting underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Candidates for post of UNESCO Director-General to be interviewed
- 24.04.2017Russian Foreign Ministry responds to request on measures to protect Russian citizen Dilgam Asgarov
- 24.04.2017CoE Committee of Ministers urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation
- 24.04.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Dubai tourism exhibition
- 24.04.2017Hamid Aboutalebi: Iran-Azerbaijan ties to develop further
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Lithuania
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing military co-op with Iran – defense minister
- 16.04.2017Iranian defense minister: Hope Azerbaijan and Armenia won’t permit third parties to interfere in conflict
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan and Iran discussed expansion of military cooperation
- 14.04.2017New chair of European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti set up interparliamentary working group
- 14.04.2017Moscow says draft convention on Caspian Sea’s status almost ready for signing
- 14.04.2017MFA: Visa-free regime – one of topics of discussion between Azerbaijan, EU
- 13.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kyiv Mayor Klitschko - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine to sign several documents soon
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 12.03.2017Azerbaijani president in France on official visit
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Vivaction Company president in Paris
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets deputy CEO of SUEZ Environment
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijani president receives OSCE MG co-chairs - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Erdogan: "We discussed creating the tripartite union of Turkey, Russia and Azerbaijan"
- 10.03.2017French senator believes parliamentary diplomacy can positively affect Karabakh conflict settlement