Azerbaijan removes Georgian TV reporter from ‘black list’
A Georgian citizen, a reporter of Imedi TV channel, Gurami Rogava, has been removed from the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry’s list of undesirable people who illegally visited the Azerbaijani territories occupied by Armenia, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA on March 2.
The reporter appealed to the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry with a letter in which he expressed his respect for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of the internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan. He said he was unaware of the consequences of his illegal visit to the Armenian-occupied territories of Azerbaijan.
He stressed that the visit was not against Azerbaijan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
Expressing regret over his illegal visit, Rogava noted that his visit in no case was aimed at promoting the so-called regime crated in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
The reporter also apologized to the Azerbaijani government and people for his illegal visit.
Rogava’s letter was thoroughly considered and a decision was made to remove his name from the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry’s list of undesirable people.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former French PM - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences over former German chancellor's death - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Lao foreign minister - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 17.06.2017Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: European Parliament’s anti-Azerbaijani resolution causes regret
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.06.2017Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017Elmar Mammadyarov receives EU representatives
- 14.06.2017PACE co-rapporteur received at Ombudsman’s Office
- 14.06.2017EU says Baku talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan were successful
- 14.06.2017Program of Moldovan president’s Azerbaijan visit announced - UPDATED-1
- 14.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: No tension in Azerbaijan-Russia relations
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation led by Bulgarian prosecutor general - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Palestinian envoy: Azerbaijan at forefront of efforts to address many challenges
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani president: Muslim countries should solve problems among themselves peacefully
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan enjoys very close ties with Muslim countries
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives ambassadors of Muslim countries in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives co-rapporteurs of PACE Monitoring Committee
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on March 6-7
- 02.03.2017Russia: Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions
- 02.03.2017Ghulam M. Isaczai: Azerbaijan and UN need each other - INTERVIEW
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador meets Russian justice minister
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan says UN report on human rights is one-sided, unbalanced
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijan – an invaluable partner in countering terrorism, former US military official says