Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
The illegal “charter” signed between the Alfortville city of France’s Île-de-France region and the Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan has been annulled, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry told APA.
The “charter” was annulled thanks to the joint work of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry and the Azerbaijani Embassy in Paris with France’s relevant bodies, noted Hajiyev.
“Since 2013, Armenian lobbyists functioning in France, under the pretext of “twin cities”, has been trying to sign illegal documents between the occupied Azerbaijani cities and France’s cities and settlements and to promote the illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh by such steps,” he said.
The spokesman recalled that on 30 June 2017, the city council of France's Alfortville decided to sign an illegal “charter”.
“The prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department, to which the city of Alfortville belongs, sent an appeal (recours gracieux) to the city council for a voluntary abolition of the decision dated 30 July 2017, but received no answer. In this regard, the prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department filed an appeal to court for the abolition of the illegal “charter”,” he said.
Nevertheless, based on the decision of the city council, the mayor of Alfortville signed the unlawful “charter” on 20 November 2017, Hajiyev stressed.
“On 8 March 2018, the court held the first hearing and a public prosecutor demanded that the “charter” be abolished due to the violation of paragraph L1115-1 of the French General Code on Local Self-Government (about the agreements signed by the aforementioned bodies being in line with France’s international obligations). As a result, on 12 April 2018, the city council of Alfortville was forced to revoke its decision (dated 30 June 2017) on signing an unlawful “charter” ("Charte d'amitié entreAlfortville et Berdzor") without waiting for a court decision with 41 votes for and 1 abstention,” he said.
Hajiyev continued: “Mayor of Alfortville Michel Gershenovitz said, ‘in order to prevent prosecution, on April 12 I asked the city council to revoke its decision. Otherwise, this verdict would a judicial act that could damage "artsakh diplomacy”.”
Baku welcomes the decision of the prefect of the Val-dé-Marne department to appeal to court for the annulment of the illegal “charter” and expects France’s central executive authorities and departments to take similar steps, Hajiyev emphasized.
In addition, Baku urges the French Foreign Ministry and other relevant bodies of the country to take strict measures to prevent the illegal activities of French local authorities in connection with the occupied Azerbaijani territories, as well as the organization of illegal visits to these lands, the spokesman added.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Azerbaijan’s parliamentary speaker starts visit to Georgia
- 26.05.2018San Diego proclaims May 28 as “100th Anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic Day”
- 26.05.2018Mayor of Cleveland signs proclamation designating May 28 as Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2018Japan’s Emperor Akihito congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.05.2018Jamestown Foundation dedicates article to centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Los Angeles celebrates 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 24.05.2018Consultations held in Astana concerning Caspian legal status
- 24.05.2018Chinese president: Azerbaijan’s int’l status and influence growing day after day
- 24.05.2018Putin: Azerbaijan enjoys great authority in int’l community
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani president pardons 634 people - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Ambassador: French FM’s upcoming visit to Azerbaijan will be contribution to ADR centenary
- 24.05.2018Donald Trump sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 11.05.2018Santa Fe proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan says intends to intensify border delimitation talks with Georgia
- 10.05.2018Deputy FM: Demarcation work between Azerbaijan, Russia to continue for 3-4 years