Azerbaijan hopes for unified approach to conflicts in Eastern Partnership countries
Azerbaijan hopes for a unified and coordinated approach to conflicts in Eastern Partnership countries in accordance with the new EU strategy, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev told the press conference dedicated to the Eastern Partnership Informal Ministerial Meeting, APA reported.
According to the strategy, the only way to resolve conflicts is through compliance with the principles of territorial integrity and border inviolability, said the deputy minister.
He noted that the Azerbaijani side hopes that unlike at the previous summit, there will not be any selective approach at the upcoming Brussels summit.
“Azerbaijan’s main problem is the conflict with Armenia, which occupied the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts. In the wake of the conflict, over a million people became refugees and internally displaced persons. We hope for a unified and coordinated approach to conflicts in Eastern Partnership countries in accordance with the new EU strategy,” Mammad-Guliyev added.
He noted that no progress on the settlement of the conflict has been achieved over the past 25 years and the status quo is unacceptable, which is also confirmed by the OSCE Minks Group co-chairs.
“We are losing not only servicemen, but civilians too. It should be recalled that a two-year-old girl and her grandmother were killed as a result of shelling of an Azerbaijani district by Armenian armed forces five days ago,” said the deputy minister, calling for the beginning of constructive and serious negotiations on the basis of the abovementioned principles.
Mammad-Guliyev expressed hope that progress will be achieved at the summit in connection with the signing of a new strategic partnership agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan.
According to him, the Southern Gas Corridor project jointly implemented by Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia will play an alternative role in ensuring Europe’s energy security and other Eastern Partnership countries will benefit from the transport projects implemented by these three countries.
He added that by the upcoming Eastern Partnership summit in Brussels, Azerbaijan will conclude the aviation deal with the EU.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates presidents of Liberia and Maldives
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Hungarian ambassador
- 21.07.2017MFA: No Azerbaijani citizens injured in earthquake in Turkey, Greece
- 21.07.2017Russian, Azerbaijani presidents to meet in Sochi – Kremlin
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijan allocates $5M for development of infrastructure in East al-Quds
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 19.04.2013Arizona and Azerbaijan enjoy mutual desire to explore economic ties
- 19.04.2013Brussels to host ministerial meeting of NATO states and ISAF partner states
- 19.04.2013OIC Secretary General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2013Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Barack Obama
- 18.04.2013The administration of the US National Democratic Institute visited Azerbaijan and held talks
- 18.04.2013US official: Azerbaijan remains an important partner for the US - UPDATED