Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
Azerbaijan hopes an appellate court decision on the liquidation of the All-Russia Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) will yield a positive result, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said in an interview with RIA Novosti, APA reported.
This organization [VAK] played an important coordinating role in the development of humanitarian and other relations between the two countries, Mammadyarov noted. “According to information available to us, VAK has eliminated legal deficiencies that it was reprimanded for. Therefore, we hope an appellate court decision will yield a positive result.”
The Azerbaijani foreign minister also commented on the recent statement of the Russian Foreign Ministry that Russian citizens of Armenian origins face problems entering Baku.
“The fact that these reports came at the same time as the merciless killing of a 2-year-old girl and her grandmother by Armenian armed forces has sparked outrage, as well as surprise and confusion, in Azerbaijani society,” he said.
Having 20 percent of its territory occupied by Armenia, Azerbaijan is rightly sensitive about this issue, Mammadyarov noted.
"First of all, it is necessary to give an impetus to the negotiation process and at least gradually withdraw Armenian troops from the occupied territories. This will allow internally displaced persons to return to their homes,” the minister said. “In parallel, security issues will be resolved, the economic factor will take effect, people will grow in confidence, and doubts and resentments between Armenians and Azerbaijanis will gradually disappear.”
“Otherwise, we get the impression that they want to force us to accept the situation as a fait accompli. Incidentally, a number of people of Armenian origin who citizens of different countries, including Armenia, have made visits to Azerbaijan many times for various purposes. However, all those visits have been previously agreed and arranged. There has been no problem. We have tried to convey this to the Russian side through diplomatic channels,” Mammadyarov added.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit