Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
Azerbaijan hopes an appellate court decision on the liquidation of the All-Russia Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) will yield a positive result, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said in an interview with RIA Novosti, APA reported.
This organization [VAK] played an important coordinating role in the development of humanitarian and other relations between the two countries, Mammadyarov noted. “According to information available to us, VAK has eliminated legal deficiencies that it was reprimanded for. Therefore, we hope an appellate court decision will yield a positive result.”
The Azerbaijani foreign minister also commented on the recent statement of the Russian Foreign Ministry that Russian citizens of Armenian origins face problems entering Baku.
“The fact that these reports came at the same time as the merciless killing of a 2-year-old girl and her grandmother by Armenian armed forces has sparked outrage, as well as surprise and confusion, in Azerbaijani society,” he said.
Having 20 percent of its territory occupied by Armenia, Azerbaijan is rightly sensitive about this issue, Mammadyarov noted.
"First of all, it is necessary to give an impetus to the negotiation process and at least gradually withdraw Armenian troops from the occupied territories. This will allow internally displaced persons to return to their homes,” the minister said. “In parallel, security issues will be resolved, the economic factor will take effect, people will grow in confidence, and doubts and resentments between Armenians and Azerbaijanis will gradually disappear.”
“Otherwise, we get the impression that they want to force us to accept the situation as a fait accompli. Incidentally, a number of people of Armenian origin who citizens of different countries, including Armenia, have made visits to Azerbaijan many times for various purposes. However, all those visits have been previously agreed and arranged. There has been no problem. We have tried to convey this to the Russian side through diplomatic channels,” Mammadyarov added.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 26.12.2017Russian officials congratulate Azerbaijani president on his birthday
- 25.12.2017Turkish PM sends letter to Azerbaijani President
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit