Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
Azerbaijan hopes an appellate court decision on the liquidation of the All-Russia Azerbaijani Congress (VAK) will yield a positive result, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said in an interview with RIA Novosti, APA reported.
This organization [VAK] played an important coordinating role in the development of humanitarian and other relations between the two countries, Mammadyarov noted. “According to information available to us, VAK has eliminated legal deficiencies that it was reprimanded for. Therefore, we hope an appellate court decision will yield a positive result.”
The Azerbaijani foreign minister also commented on the recent statement of the Russian Foreign Ministry that Russian citizens of Armenian origins face problems entering Baku.
“The fact that these reports came at the same time as the merciless killing of a 2-year-old girl and her grandmother by Armenian armed forces has sparked outrage, as well as surprise and confusion, in Azerbaijani society,” he said.
Having 20 percent of its territory occupied by Armenia, Azerbaijan is rightly sensitive about this issue, Mammadyarov noted.
"First of all, it is necessary to give an impetus to the negotiation process and at least gradually withdraw Armenian troops from the occupied territories. This will allow internally displaced persons to return to their homes,” the minister said. “In parallel, security issues will be resolved, the economic factor will take effect, people will grow in confidence, and doubts and resentments between Armenians and Azerbaijanis will gradually disappear.”
“Otherwise, we get the impression that they want to force us to accept the situation as a fait accompli. Incidentally, a number of people of Armenian origin who citizens of different countries, including Armenia, have made visits to Azerbaijan many times for various purposes. However, all those visits have been previously agreed and arranged. There has been no problem. We have tried to convey this to the Russian side through diplomatic channels,” Mammadyarov added.
Related news releases
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 13.11.2017EU appoints new special representative for South Caucasus and crisis in Georgia
- 13.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences to Iraqi PM
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan offers assistance to Iran after earthquake - Iranian envoy
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with African Union commissioners
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with African Union Commissioner for Peace and Security
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry expresses its attitude to the report on the detention of 200 Azerbaijani women in Iraq
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan’s National Flag Day celebrated in California’s Monterey city
- 09.11.2017Israel's ambassador to Azerbaijan visits western disricts
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with Ethiopian president
- 08.11.2017Ali Hasanov: We feel hurtful about some Turkish MPs having voted against Azerbaijan in PACE
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit