Azerbaijan FM says he’s outraged by politicization of Lapshin’s case
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov said he is outraged and surprised by the excessive politicization of Alexander Lapshin’s case.
Lapshin violated Azerbaijan’s laws and a criminal case was initiated within the law, Mammadyarov told RIA Novosti, APA reported.
“All the time he is called a blogger. Who would be interested in the matter if he was an engineer?” said the Azerbaijani FM, adding. “Everything was done within the law. Speculations on the matter that he is a blogger do not mean his immunity from prosecution.”
Alexander Laphsin was extradited to Azerbaijan from Belarus on February 7.
Earlier, the Supreme Court of Belarus rejected the complaint filed by Lapshin’s lawyer regarding his extradition to Azerbaijan.
On Jan. 26, Alexei Stuk, deputy prosecutor general of Belarus, issued a ruling on Lapshin’s extradition to Azerbaijan. The Minsk City Court upheld this decision.
Lapshin, who holds Russian, Israeli, and Ukrainian citizenship, paid illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories in April 2011 and in October 2012, violating Azerbaijan’s laws on the state border and passports. He made statements against Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
The Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office has opened a criminal case against him on articles 281.2 (public calls directed against the state) and 318.2 (illegal crossing border of the Azerbaijan Republic), and issued an international arrest warrant for him.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Pakistan
- 28.02.2017“Baku platform – a place for positive initiatives”
- 28.02.2017Khojaly massacre survivor addresses US Congress
- 28.02.2017Governor of U.S. State of Nevada signs document on Khojaly Tragedy
- 27.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends official visit to Qatar - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Emir of Qatar
- 27.02.2017Oscar 2017 winners named
- 26.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with President and CEO of Qatar Petroleum
- 26.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with chairman of Al Faisal Holding and Qatari Businessmen Association in Doha
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan, Turkish presidents hold phone talk
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 24.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti ink MoU on political consultations
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani, Djiboutian FMs meet in Baku
- 24.02.2017Arizona House of Representatives passes proclamation condemning Khojaly Genocide
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Estonian counterpart
- 23.02.2017Georgian PM phones Azerbaijani president
- 23.02.2017Sefcovic: SGC of strategic importance for EU
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Italy enjoy high-level cooperation - UPDATED
- 23.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkey’s energy minister - UPDATED
- 23.02.2017OSCE PA to start winter meeting in Vienna today
- 23.02.2017Georgian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijan: Khojaly Genocide should find its legal appraisal
- 23.02.2017Kurz: Austria to support all efforts to achieve progress on Karabakh conflict
- 22.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Japanese minister - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Russian Embassy: New lawyer will defend Lapshin
- 22.02.2017Baku to host meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey Co-op Council
- 22.02.2017Georgian lawmaker of Azerbaijani origin addresses parliament on Khojaly genocide
- 22.02.2017Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 22.02.2017Palestinian deputy PM to join 5th Global Baku Forum
- 22.02.2017Russia to mark 25th anniversary of relations with Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2017Djiboutian FM due in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: EU, which proposes association agreement, once refused to recognize Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 22.02.2017Southern Gas Corridor approaching its final phase – Azerbaijani president - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Ambassador: Hungary sees Southern Gas Corridor as priority - INTERVIEW
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan concerned over Metsamor NPP – FM
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijani, Iranian presidents to meet in Islamabad
- 09.02.2017Moscow: Lapshin’s case should be resolved in line with regular procedures
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan 'taking into account' Russian military base in Armenia, says FM
- 09.02.2017France intends to implement certain projects jointly with Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan and Belarus had telephone conversation