Azerbaijan, EU to begin negotiations on new partnership agreement
Baku. Malahat Najafova – APA. Azerbaijan and the European Union will launch negotiations on a new partnership agreement, Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Mahmud Mammad-Guliyev told APA on November 15.
On November 14, the European Council adopted a mandate for the European Commission and the high representative for foreign affairs and security policy to negotiate, on behalf of the EU and its member states, a comprehensive agreement with Azerbaijan, the message on the council’s website said.
The deputy FM noted that there is no information about the exact date of negotiations.
“The mandate was issued on November 14. It’s too early to speak of this issue. We will try to begin the negotiations in the near future,” he said.
He mentioned that what’s important is not the length, but the quality of the negotiations.
Mammad-Guliyev said he thinks the document proposed by Azerbaijan did not cause a serious backlash of the EU.
"I think that if the mandate is approved, then a serious objection to it [the document] was not. If there is no agreement, then the mandate would not be issued,” added the deputy FM. “Of course, the EU will put forward its proposals. The Azerbaijani side will also make new proposals during the negotiations.”
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with EU Commissioner for European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations Johannes Hahn at the Eastern Partnership summit in Riga in May 2015.
Mammadyarov delivered a draft agreement on strategic partnership between Azerbaijan and the EU to Hahn and expressed the intention of the Azerbaijani side to develop cooperation with EU in that area.
The new agreement should replace the 1996 partnership and cooperation agreement and should better take account of the shared objectives and challenges the EU and Azerbaijan face today, said the message on the European Council’s website.
The agreement will follow the principles endorsed in the 2015 review of the European Neighbourhood Policy and offer a renewed basis for political dialogue and mutually beneficial cooperation between the EU and Azerbaijan, said the message.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 13.10.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Bulgaria make press statements
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Bulgarian presidents meet in Baku
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president officially welcomed in Baku
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Iran's economy minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Date of Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian, Iranian presidents revealed
- 12.10.2017Official of U.S. Department of Defense arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 15.11.2016FM: Promotion of intercultural, interreligious dialogue among priorities of Azerbaijan’s foreign policy
- 15.11.2016Experts: Idea to create combined Russian-Armenian army group very dangerous
- 15.11.2016Azerbaijan: Restored relations with European Parliament bother some anti-Azerbaijan circles
- 15.11.2016Azerbaijani FM leaves for Portugal
- 14.11.2016Iranian ambassador visits Nakhchivan
- 14.11.2016Azerbaijan welcomes European Council adopting mandate for talks on new agreement