Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
France, which together with other OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries has been dealing with settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict for more than 25 years, fully comprehends that the reason behind the tension in the region is Armenia’s continuation of military occupation of Azerbaijani territories, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, told APA.
Hajiyev was commenting on the latest statement of France’s Foreign Ministry.
“Over a million Azerbaijanis became victims of ethnic cleansing in Armenia and in the occupied territories. Consequently, Azerbaijan suffered the greatest humanitarian catastrophe in Europe in the early 1990s after World War II,” he noted.
The spokesman stressed that one of the important humanitarian principles of the conflict resolution process is the statement of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan about the return of Azerbaijanis to their historical lands in peace, as set forth in international documents and UN Security Council resolutions.
Hajiyev said Yerevan still continues to ignore the relevant UN Security Council resolutions that demand an unconditional and complete withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories and ensuring the return of Azerbaijani IDPs to their native lands.
"While negotiations on the settlement of the conflict continue, France, a member of the OSCE Minsk Group and a permanent member of the UN Security Council, and other co-chairs should be concerned by the illegal actions of Armenia for the annexation of the occupied territories of Azerbaijan as well as by the attempts to change the demographics and destruction of the material-cultural and religious heritage of the Azerbaijani people in the occupied territories,” he said.
“In this regard, one of the most worrying moments is the establishment of ties between the regions of France and the illegal regime as opposed to the official statements of the French Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry and the status of France as a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, as well as the entry of representatives of the illegal regime into France, in violation of the provisions of the Schengen visa, and propaganda carried out by them,” Hajiyev added.
Hajiyev called on the French side to pay attention to the February 20 congratulatory message of Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan to the illegal regime on the 30th anniversary of the aggressive separatism in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region.
The spokesman underlined that the Armenian president presents the illegal regime created as a result of terrorism, aggressive separatism, aggression and bloody ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijan as “a success” and calls for the annexation of Azerbaijan’s sovereign territories.
“We believe that France, which suffers from international terrorism, should be seriously concerned by the letter of Armenian president, in which he proudly quotes terrorist Monte Melkonian, who committed terrorist acts in France and killed innocent French citizens,” he said.
“We call on our French colleagues not to succumb to misinformation and propaganda of the Armenian lobby circles in Armenia and France,” Hajiyev added.
France’s Foreign Ministry in its latest statement reiterated its commitment to a peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“France urges the parties to the conflict to work honestly in this direction and avoid any statements and actions that can increase tension,” said the statement.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan