Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
France, which together with other OSCE Minsk Group co-chairing countries has been dealing with settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict for more than 25 years, fully comprehends that the reason behind the tension in the region is Armenia’s continuation of military occupation of Azerbaijani territories, Hikmat Hajiyev, spokesman for Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry, told APA.
Hajiyev was commenting on the latest statement of France’s Foreign Ministry.
“Over a million Azerbaijanis became victims of ethnic cleansing in Armenia and in the occupied territories. Consequently, Azerbaijan suffered the greatest humanitarian catastrophe in Europe in the early 1990s after World War II,” he noted.
The spokesman stressed that one of the important humanitarian principles of the conflict resolution process is the statement of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan about the return of Azerbaijanis to their historical lands in peace, as set forth in international documents and UN Security Council resolutions.
Hajiyev said Yerevan still continues to ignore the relevant UN Security Council resolutions that demand an unconditional and complete withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories and ensuring the return of Azerbaijani IDPs to their native lands.
"While negotiations on the settlement of the conflict continue, France, a member of the OSCE Minsk Group and a permanent member of the UN Security Council, and other co-chairs should be concerned by the illegal actions of Armenia for the annexation of the occupied territories of Azerbaijan as well as by the attempts to change the demographics and destruction of the material-cultural and religious heritage of the Azerbaijani people in the occupied territories,” he said.
“In this regard, one of the most worrying moments is the establishment of ties between the regions of France and the illegal regime as opposed to the official statements of the French Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry and the status of France as a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, as well as the entry of representatives of the illegal regime into France, in violation of the provisions of the Schengen visa, and propaganda carried out by them,” Hajiyev added.
Hajiyev called on the French side to pay attention to the February 20 congratulatory message of Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan to the illegal regime on the 30th anniversary of the aggressive separatism in Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region.
The spokesman underlined that the Armenian president presents the illegal regime created as a result of terrorism, aggressive separatism, aggression and bloody ethnic cleansing against Azerbaijan as “a success” and calls for the annexation of Azerbaijan’s sovereign territories.
“We believe that France, which suffers from international terrorism, should be seriously concerned by the letter of Armenian president, in which he proudly quotes terrorist Monte Melkonian, who committed terrorist acts in France and killed innocent French citizens,” he said.
“We call on our French colleagues not to succumb to misinformation and propaganda of the Armenian lobby circles in Armenia and France,” Hajiyev added.
France’s Foreign Ministry in its latest statement reiterated its commitment to a peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“France urges the parties to the conflict to work honestly in this direction and avoid any statements and actions that can increase tension,” said the statement.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Latvia: 'I think highly of voting process in Azerbaijan'
- 23.03.2018Date and agenda of PACE spring session announced
- 23.03.2018Flag hoisting ceremony held in Pakistani embassy in Azerbaijan
- 22.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to Pakistani counterpart
- 22.03.2018PACE co-rapporteurs to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Turkish FM to visit Azerbaijan in April
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani official: Presidential election in Russia was transparent, democratic
- 19.03.2018Ilham Aliyev holds phone talk with Vladimir Putin
- 19.03.201883.3% of Azerbaijanis living in Russia voted for Putin
- 19.03.2018Iranian citizens to receive visas at Azerbaijani airports
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin on winning presidential election
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan