Azerbaijan calls for Islamic solidarity in resolving Karabakh conflict
The liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh region from Armenian occupation is a crucial issue for Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
Azerbaijan seeks to settle the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within its territorial integrity, sovereignty and internationally recognized borders, said Khalafov addressing an international conference “Islamic solidarity – The Call of The Time” that kicked off in Baku March 15, APA reported.
According to him, Islamic solidarity is of great importance in terms of delivering to the world community the realities of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Azerbaijan welcomes the role of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the Contact Group established by the OIC on the Karabakh settlement and thanks the OIC for its political and legal assessment to this issue, said Khalafov, calling on other Islamic countries to show solidarity with Azerbaijan in this issue.
He noted that Armenian armed forces conducted a policy of ethnic cleansing in the occupied Azerbaijani territories and committed an act of genocide in the town of Khojaly.
Khalafov accused Armenia of engaging in illegal economic activity in the occupied Azerbaijani territories and exporting local products under false brands.
The diplomat also stressed that Armenia continues to conduct the policy of illegal resettlement in the occupied Azerbaijani territories.
He said Azerbaijan praises the steps taken by OIC member states to ban the entry to people from Nagorno-Karabakh.
The deputy minister pointed out that monuments, graves and mosques were completely destroyed in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands.
“We ask the media of OIC countries to strengthen their activities in covering these issues. Azerbaijan is well aware of Muslim countries in which there conflicts and wars are going on. We believe it’s necessary to unite efforts to resolve these conflicts by creating a mechanism of mutual support,” added Khalafov.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2017Armenia invites Azerbaijan to observe parliamentary election
- 15.03.2017Kazakh president to visit Azerbaijan in early April
- 15.03.2017Another PACE Committee to hold meeting in Baku
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing relations with PACE on basis of mutual respect
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MP: Many CoE countries are suffering from conflicts
- 15.03.2017Karabakh conflict to be discussed at PACE Committee meeting in Baku