Ayaz Mutallibov knew about Khojaly genocide beforehand – Azerbaijani military prosecutor - UPDATED
He made the remarks during a presentation of the book titled “Genocide of 1918 against the Azerbaijani people”.
According to Valiyev, the Azerbaijani authorities at that time were aware of the impending Khojaly genocide.
“These events started in November of 1991 and continued intensively. They went on in various districts of Karabakh,” said Veliyev adding that though they did not have the scale as Khojaly, but dozens of people died, hundreds were wounded.
Some 67 people were killed on February 16-17 in Garadaghli, the military prosecutor recalled.
“A week later, a massacre was committed in Khojaly with a population of about 7,000. However, when the events took place, there were not so many people. To realize the reason, one doesn’t need to be a scientist. The Azerbaijani authorities were no doubt aware of it, but did nothing to prevent it. Even after the events, it was necessary at least to evacuate the people from there,” he added.
At that time, Azerbaijani Interior Ministry spread information that only two people died during this tragedy, and later the state had to make considerable efforts to prove that 613 people were killed during this tragedy, he said.
The military prosecutor went on to add that the Justice for Khojaly campaign, initiated by Leyla Aliyeva, Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, played a great role in bringing to the world community the truth about the Khojaly genocide. “After this campaign was launched, a number of countries recognized the Khojaly tragedy as genocide.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with OPEC Secretary General - UPDATED
- 18.03.2018President of Moldova: "Global dialogues in Azerbaijan contribute to the reduction of international tension"
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 15.03.2018Existing opportunities should be utilized to bridge Asia with Europe, says Georgian FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey says quadrilateral co-op format with Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia to contribute to peace and stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs hail new format of quadrilateral cooperation
- 15.03.2018Baku Declaration adopted at meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs
- 15.03.2018Deputy PM: TAP is an important project for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15.03.2018PM Yildirim: Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia take serious steps to ensure regional security
- 19.11.2008David Kramer: “We are interested in observing the active political process in Azerbaijan”
- 19.11.2008PACE Monitoring Committee discusses presidential elections in Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2008London Forum of Azerbaijani Students of Europe kicked off at the British House of Lords
- 19.11.2008Ogtay Asadov: “Irresponsible statements of some co-chairs do not contribute to solution to the problem”
- 19.11.2008Azerbaijan to join 1st Conference of Parliamentary Assembly of Turkic-speaking countries
- 19.11.2008Khalaf Khalafov meets with Iranian Foreign Minister