Ayaz Mutallibov knew about Khojaly genocide beforehand – Azerbaijani military prosecutor - UPDATED
He made the remarks during a presentation of the book titled “Genocide of 1918 against the Azerbaijani people”.
According to Valiyev, the Azerbaijani authorities at that time were aware of the impending Khojaly genocide.
“These events started in November of 1991 and continued intensively. They went on in various districts of Karabakh,” said Veliyev adding that though they did not have the scale as Khojaly, but dozens of people died, hundreds were wounded.
Some 67 people were killed on February 16-17 in Garadaghli, the military prosecutor recalled.
“A week later, a massacre was committed in Khojaly with a population of about 7,000. However, when the events took place, there were not so many people. To realize the reason, one doesn’t need to be a scientist. The Azerbaijani authorities were no doubt aware of it, but did nothing to prevent it. Even after the events, it was necessary at least to evacuate the people from there,” he added.
At that time, Azerbaijani Interior Ministry spread information that only two people died during this tragedy, and later the state had to make considerable efforts to prove that 613 people were killed during this tragedy, he said.
The military prosecutor went on to add that the Justice for Khojaly campaign, initiated by Leyla Aliyeva, Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, played a great role in bringing to the world community the truth about the Khojaly genocide. “After this campaign was launched, a number of countries recognized the Khojaly tragedy as genocide.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 19.02.20166th trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian FMs to be held in Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2016Tbilisi statement expresses full support for territorial integrity of Georgia, Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2016Co-op among Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia – good opportunity for stability in South Caucasus
- 19.02.2016Azerbaijani, Georgian and Turkish FMs sign joint statement
- 19.02.2016Azerbaijani FM: Failure in Karabakh conflict settlement – greatest threat to regional co-op
- 19.02.2016Trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish FMs - fruitful platform of co-op