Ayaz Mutallibov knew about Khojaly genocide beforehand – Azerbaijani military prosecutor - UPDATED
He made the remarks during a presentation of the book titled “Genocide of 1918 against the Azerbaijani people”.
According to Valiyev, the Azerbaijani authorities at that time were aware of the impending Khojaly genocide.
“These events started in November of 1991 and continued intensively. They went on in various districts of Karabakh,” said Veliyev adding that though they did not have the scale as Khojaly, but dozens of people died, hundreds were wounded.
Some 67 people were killed on February 16-17 in Garadaghli, the military prosecutor recalled.
“A week later, a massacre was committed in Khojaly with a population of about 7,000. However, when the events took place, there were not so many people. To realize the reason, one doesn’t need to be a scientist. The Azerbaijani authorities were no doubt aware of it, but did nothing to prevent it. Even after the events, it was necessary at least to evacuate the people from there,” he added.
At that time, Azerbaijani Interior Ministry spread information that only two people died during this tragedy, and later the state had to make considerable efforts to prove that 613 people were killed during this tragedy, he said.
The military prosecutor went on to add that the Justice for Khojaly campaign, initiated by Leyla Aliyeva, Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, played a great role in bringing to the world community the truth about the Khojaly genocide. “After this campaign was launched, a number of countries recognized the Khojaly tragedy as genocide.
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $.13 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 13.10.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Bulgaria make press statements
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Bulgarian presidents meet in Baku
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president officially welcomed in Baku
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Iran's economy minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Date of Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian, Iranian presidents revealed
- 12.10.2017Official of U.S. Department of Defense arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 11.10.2017PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 13.06.2011Ali Hasanov: “Much is expected from the Kazan meeting between the Azerbaijani, Russian and Armenian presidents”
- 13.06.2011Azerbaijani Foreign Minister: “The foreign ministers reached a progress in the Moscow meeting”
- 13.06.2011Sweden’s Foreign Minister: “It is needed to use all opportunities for reaching the progress in the negotiation process on Nagorno Karabakh conflict”
- 13.06.2011Azerbaijani President congratulates Erdogan on AKP’s victory in parliamentary elections
- 11.06.2011Azerbaijani President congratulates Russian counterpart
- 11.06.2011Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan, Russian Federation and Armenia had a working meeting