Armenia’s precondition is nothing more than disruption of talks, boycott and blackmail: Azerbaijani MFA
Q. In his interview to Agencia EFE, a Spanish news agency, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan laid down a precondition for beginning substantive talks and pointed out that it’s necessary to create a mechanism for investigating incidents. Is it not Armenia’s boycotting the talks?
A. The fact that the Armenian president has laid a precondition for beginning substantive negotiations over the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is nothing more than a deliberate disruption of talks, a boycott and blackmail. It’s absolutely unacceptable to lay a precondition for beginning substantive talks and, in general, it is in sharp contrast to all the basic documents on the settlement of the conflict. Since June 2016, Armenia has been evading all meetings. Armenia’s foreign minister limited his participation in Hamburg and Munich meetings to a dinner hosted by the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs in honor of the two countries’ ministers.
The essence of the issues discussed at the Vienna and Saint Petersburg meetings of the presidents is that the creation of a mechanism for investigating incidents, the solution of humanitarian issues and the conduct of substantive negotiations should be implemented in a parallel and synchronized way. As the main element of substantive negotiations, the status quo should be changed and the gradual withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories should be ensured. As part of this process, a mechanism for investigating incidents can also be considered.
The latest statements made by the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs, as well as the UN Secretary General’s statement on February 27th 2017 called for beginning substantive talks aimed at finding a peaceful solution to the conflict. Armenia not only refuses to consent to this and even goes on to lay a precondition at the level of president, undermines the peace process and is engaged in blackmail.
Q. What is the aim of Armenia in avoiding substantive negotiations?
A. Armenia’s refusal of substantive talks is accompanied with constant political and military provocations, military adventures and bellicose statements by Armenia’s military and political leadership, pre-election manipulation of the domestic political environment, strengthening of its military capabilities and conduct of military exercises in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan and attempts to change the demographic situation in those territories. All this clearly shows that Armenia is pursuing a policy of annexing the occupied Azerbaijani territories and is trying to maintain and strengthen the occupation. Armenia, by bringing up a technical issue like investigation of incidents and making substantive negotiations ‘a hostage of this technical issue, pursues a dangerous goal – to maintain the status quo. The co-chair countries and the international community must take effective and serious actions against Armenia in order to prevent the failure of proposals on the settlement of the conflict and the peace process as a whole. Substantive negotiations that provide a comprehensive resolution of the conflict must be started immediately in order not to allow Armenia to again draw the region into war and military adventure. Azerbaijan has repeatedly stated its readiness for substantive talks.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani president completes official visit to France
- 15.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives members of Board of Trustees of Nizami Ganjavi International Center
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region
- 15.03.2017Another PACE Committee to hold meeting in Baku
- 15.03.2017Kazakh president to visit Azerbaijan in early April
- 15.03.2017Armenia invites Azerbaijan to observe parliamentary election