Ziyafat Asgarov: I don’t trust Minsk Group, we should count on our own power only
At a time financial and economic crisis was raging throughout the world, Azerbaijan's economy largely managed to protect itself from risks, Ziyafat Asgarov, first deputy speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament, chairman of the parliamentary Committee on security and defense, said in an interview to APA.
“Despite the fact that we do have some difficulties, we are a country open to the world and an integral part of the global economy. However, Azerbaijan’s accurate economic, social and other policies enabled the country to protect itself,” Asgarov said.
He reminded that Azerbaijan’s president has recently signed a decree endorsing “Strategic road maps for the national economy and main economic sectors”, which will be one of the most essential documents post-oil period.
He said that despite the reduction of funds in other areas, there is no problem with the military budget.
“The goal we have set is that Azerbaijan's military strength should grow further, as it has been growing so far, because we know what we must do about Armenia’s occupation of 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory. For this reason, we should never reduce our military budget,” Asgarov added.
Asked to comment on reports of possible risks with recent visits to Azerbaijan of Armenian NGOs and media representatives, Asgarov said any visit of Armenian representatives within the framework of the Peace Platform does not pose a threat to Azerbaijan’s security.
“What is wrong with them since they overtly admit Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan, criticize Armenia, utter the realities with Azerbaijan, and expose Yerevan’s policy of invasion? I think it’s normal,” the deputy speaker said. “Let Armenians admit that their country is an invader, what crimes they committed against Azerbaijan, that have carried out genocide in Khojaly, and that their political leaders are the ones who did all these crimes. Let them admit these. There’s nothing wrong with that.”
He stressed that Azerbaijan is the most powerful country in the Caucasus and has the most powerful army in this region, yet it demonstrates its inclination to peacefulness.
The deputy speaker accused Armenia of simulating the negotiations process on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“If Yerevan continues to impede the negotiation process, Azerbaijan, both in terms of domestic and international law, has the fight to liberate its territories by military means,” he warned.
“Frankly speaking, I don’t believe in the OSCE Minsk Group anymore. They only pay visits to Azerbaijan and Armenia and hold meetings there. It shouldn’t be so,” Asgarov said. “The Minsk Group must realize its obligations. They wait Armenia and Azerbaijan to come to an agreement and say nothing. If such an agreement was possible, then there was no need for the establishment of the OSCE Minsk Group. You will never achieve anything as long as you are not sincere and don’t call Armenia an occupant country.”
He noted that leaders of the OSCE Minsk co-chairing countries often make statements recognized Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
“However, problems cannot be solved through statements. Thus, I only believe in my people, state and president. What does it mean? It means that the unity of the people and president is power of the state. That's it! It is the only way we can liberate our lands by,” he added.
The deputy speaker also touched upon the creation of a combined group of Russian and Armenian troops and Russia’s delivery of Iskander-M missile systems to the occupying country.
“I discussed this issue with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well. They have sent a formal request to Russia’s Foreign Ministry. Russia has not given us an official response yet as to why they did so. After receiving an official explanation from Russia, we will state our opinion,” Asgarov said. “They do not openly tell us whether they gave the Iskander systems to the Armenian army or they sent them to the Russian military base in Armenia. That’s unclear to me. We’ll state our decision once we have received an official response.
Russia, as a Minsk Group co-chairing country, is supposed to be neutral so that this Karabakh conflict can be settled, he stressed.
In regard to US Secretary of State John Kerry’s statement, Asgarov said the co-chairing countries are not clear in their foreign policy.
“The heads of state make a statement but the ambassadors talk differently, so do the secretaries of state,” he added. “I don’t trust the Minsk Group any more and we should only country on our own power. That’s all!”
Asgarov stressed the need to change the status quo, calling for intensifying pressure on Armenia.
“Armenia should be put pressure on. There is a need to something more than making statements only,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 28.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: ASAN service brought novelty into citizen-civil servant relationship
- 30.12.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 65 times
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament holds last meeting of 2016
- 28.12.2016Draft law on labor pension submitted to Azerbaijani parliament
- 27.12.2016Parliament’s disciplinary commission discusses MP Astan Shahverdiyev’s controversial interview
- 27.12.2016Over 700 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan