Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
Discussing recent reports of treason by some Azerbaijani military servicemen and civilians at a meeting on Monday, the Board of the Whole Azerbaijan Popular Front Party (WAPFP) called for the return of the death penalty in the country.
“Considering Article 27 of the Constitution of the Republic of Azerbaijan allowing the application of death penalty for crimes against state, Article 2 on the making of provision in law for the death penalty in respect of acts committed in time of war or of imminent threat of war of Protocol 6 of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms—which Azerbaijan is a member of—and the fact that Azerbaijan is in a state of war, the Whole Azerbaijan Popular Front Party puts forward the initiative of the return of the death penalty,” the party said in a statement on May 15, APA reported.
Taking into account that the Armenian-Russian joint military group is subordinate to the Supreme Commander of Armenia and Moscow hasn’t so far denied the allegations that these troops can take part in combat operations in Nagorno-Karabakh, the WAPFP Board stated that the current situation shows the reality of Russia’s being in a state of war with Azerbaijan, stressing the need to take a number of urgent measures.
“The party believes that Azerbaijani citizens shouldn’t be sent to study at Russian military schools, calling for a serious investigation into those who received military education in Russia, as well as those who served in the ranks of the Russian Armed Forces and are currently servicemen of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces,” said the statement.
The party Board called on the Azerbaijani Milli Majlis’ (parliament) security and defense committee to immediately hold hearings on persons accused of treason.
“The parliament, representing the legislative power, must provide the Supreme Commander-in-Chief with detailed information. In addition, the persons responsible for this sphere should be seriously punished and public concern must be ended,” the statement said.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation