What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
Mehriban Aliyeva was appointed First Vice-President of the Republic of Azerbaijan upon President Ilham Aliyev’s order signed on February 21.
According to the amendments made to the Constitution following the referendum held on 26 September 2016, First Vice-President and Vice-Presidents of the Azerbaijan Republic are appointed and dismissed by the President of the Azerbaijani Republic, APA reported.
A citizen of the Azerbaijani Republic, possessing voting right and university degree, having no liabilities in other states, can be appointed to the post of Vice-President of the Azerbaijani Republic.
The First Vice-President of the Azerbaijan Republic and his/her family are provided for at the state expense. The security of the First Vice-President of the Azerbaijani Republic and his/her family members is ensured by special security teams. Whenever the President of the Azerbaijan Republic resigns from his post ahead of time, extraordinary elections of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic are held during the period of 60 days. In such case, until new President of the Azerbaijan Republic is elected, the First Vice-President of the Azerbaijan Republic will carry out powers of the President of the Azerbaijan Republic. If the First Vice-President of the Azerbaijani Republic resigns, becomes incapable of carrying out his/her powers due to illness, the Vice-President of the Azerbaijan Republic gets the status of the First Vice-President and carries out duties of the President. During the term of office the Vice-President of the Azerbaijani Republic can not be detained, arrested, brought to criminal and sentenced to administrative penalties cases except in cases of flagrante delicto.
The immunity of the Vice-President of the Azerbaijani Republic might be stopped only by President of the Azerbaijani Republic, based on the appeal of the Prosecutor General of the Azerbaijani Republic.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Shamkir district for visit
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Gadabay district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Samukh district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of renovated orphanage-kindergarten in Goygol
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Goygol district for visit
- 18.08.2017Former heads of state and government to attend Global Young Leaders Forum in Baku
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Ramil Guliyev, World Athletics Champion
- 11.08.2017Car bomb blast in Somali capital kills 1
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president attends opening of new roads in former “Sovetski”
- 08.08.2017President signs order on application of law "On the rules of conduct of the members of the Milli Majlis"
- 03.08.2017President: ‘Self-employment program should be prevalent in Azerbaijan’
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Balakan district
- 31.07.2017Chingiz Ganizade awarded Shohrat Order
- 31.07.2017Interior Ministry issues statement about special operation conducted in Hajigabul
- 26.07.2017President Aliyev awards Ali Gojayev with order
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 12.11.2008Azerbaijan marks Day of Constitution
- 12.11.2008President of Azerbaijan issues decree on implementation of “one window” principle of border control
- 12.11.2008What are the functions of party leaders in Azerbaijan? – Investigation
- 11.11.2008Musavat Chairman meets with Norwegian Ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2008Ali Karimli: “In the recent elections we saw who complied with the determined standards as a constructive opposition”
- 11.11.2008Armenian forces fire on Azerbaijan’s positions