Vugar Ahmadov: Azerbaijan election report by OSCE/ODIHR ‘pre-prepared’
Vugar Ahmadov, political assistant to the election observation mission of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), has announced his resignation from the post.
At a press conference on April 13, Ahmadov accused the ODIHR of expressing a biased attitude towards the April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan.
He emphasized that the report on the presidential election in Azerbaijan was prepared in advance and the deputy head of the ODIHR observation mission, Stefan Krause, known for his anti-Azerbaijani position, took an active role in its compilation.
“Stefan Krause extended his congratulations in connection with the election held in Armenia on 2 April 2017. He did not hide his negative attitude towards Azerbaijan’s national leader Heydar Aliyev and the Heydar Aliyev Foundation on his pages on social networks. This is an indicator of his attitude towards Azerbaijan, and of course, it would be naive to wait for an objective report on the presidential election from such a person,” he said.
Ahmadov said that during his communication with Krause he personally witnessed his negative attitude towards Azerbaijan.
“I spoke with another member of the mission, Egor Tilpunov. He said that it was initially known that there would be violations during the election. I asked how he knew it and he answered that he had such information in advance and they already had the report prepared. I again asked how the report was prepared if the election had not taken place yet. He said that Krause had been to Azerbaijan before and knew everything. All this means that these people would present a biased report irrespective of their observations,” he said.
He added: “A spokesman for the observation mission also expressed a negative attitude towards Azerbaijan. All this gives us grounds to conclude that ODIHR observers visited Azerbaijan on a special order.”
Ahmadov emphasized that Khadija Ismayil and Emil Milli were in close contact with members of the ODIHR observation mission.
“The report alleges that serious law violations were committed during the voting. On the election day, I was in the office. No serious law violations were recorded at polling stations. Only minor points were recorded that could not affect the election results. This report is not even a critic, but a bias, denigration. Some members of the mission also objected to this document. But they were expelled from the mission, and they were forced to leave. I could not accept this, so I officially addressed the head of the observation mission and left it. Members of the observation mission came under the influence of those who are known for their anti-Azerbaijani stance and serve the interests of Armenian circles,” he said
He went on to say that he will express his official protest to OSCE’s general office.
Ahmadov expressed hope that a final report by the ODIHR observation mission will be objective and will reflect unbiased points.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Number of lawyers in Azerbaijan exceeds 1,500
- 18.07.2018President of Italy awarded Order of "Heydar Aliyev"
- 17.07.2018President allocates funding for renovation of Yanar Dag reserve
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards ANAMA employees
- 16.07.2018New deputy mayor of Baku appointed
- 14.07.2018Orders of police officers martyred in Ganja presented to family members
- 14.07.2018Population's income in Azerbaijan increases by 7.3%
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev posthumously awards police officers killed in Azerbaijan's Ganja
- 13.07.2018President Aliyev: Neither foreign nor internal forces can influence people-government unity in Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criminals, their supporters will fail to achieve their insidious goals
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting of heads of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement bodies
- 13.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan, by talking about democracy, aims to legitimize his coming to power through coup d'état
- 13.07.2018Person accused of killing police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja eliminated
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 11.07.2018Ali Hasanov: Vulnerable situation in Ganja requires even greater unity of society around state
- 11.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets European Council president in Brussels
- 11.07.2018Attempts to create chaos in Azerbaijan don’t have any prospects – official
- 10.07.2018Deputy Chief of Ganja City Police Office and Nizami District Police Office martyred while preventing unrest - OFFİCİAL
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of judicial authorities
- 10.07.2018Legal assessment to be given to activities of companies in connection with illegal production of non-ferrous metals in occupied territories of Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan is a very stable and strong country"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "We will fulfill all the tasks set in 2018"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "I hope that the new government of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous leadership"
- 09.07.2018A number of persons penalized for issuing illegal calls on social networking over power cut and assault on Ganja head of executive authority
- 09.07.201812 suspects detained over assault on Ganja’s head of executive authority
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of diplomatic service agencies
- 08.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chaired meeting of Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in first half of 2018 and future objectives
- 07.07.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations appointed
- 06.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Constitutional Court played important role in ensuring stability of Azerbaijan’s legal system
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President received WHO Director General - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Interior Minister : "In connection with the lack of electricity, no serious crimes were committed"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "Serious investigation into the situation in the energy system should be carried out, the perpetrators should be brought to justice"
- 04.07.2018Prosecutor General: "Criminal case was initiated in connection with the incident at Mingachevir TPS"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: Government capable of ensuring security of country and population
- 03.07.2018MES: Works to eliminate the accident underway, evacuation process goes on
- 02.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani police should bring their activities in line with modern requirements
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards interior minister, first deputy interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session - UPDATED
- 28.06.2018US, Turkey can have 'more productive’ talk: Pompeo
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijan increases number of assistants to 1st vice-president
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani official: Some members of ODIHR mission only engaged in contacts with opposition
- 13.04.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: OSCE/ODIHR statement on Azerbaijan election ‘completely biased’
- 14.04.2018About 1,000 people attend National Council’s rally - UPDATED
- 13.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "No outside force can make us turn from this path"
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "I always rely on the support of the Azerbaijani people"
- 12.04.2018“They showed disrespect to the will of the Azerbaijani people" - OPINION