Vugar Ahmadov: Azerbaijan election report by OSCE/ODIHR ‘pre-prepared’
Vugar Ahmadov, political assistant to the election observation mission of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), has announced his resignation from the post.
At a press conference on April 13, Ahmadov accused the ODIHR of expressing a biased attitude towards the April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan.
He emphasized that the report on the presidential election in Azerbaijan was prepared in advance and the deputy head of the ODIHR observation mission, Stefan Krause, known for his anti-Azerbaijani position, took an active role in its compilation.
“Stefan Krause extended his congratulations in connection with the election held in Armenia on 2 April 2017. He did not hide his negative attitude towards Azerbaijan’s national leader Heydar Aliyev and the Heydar Aliyev Foundation on his pages on social networks. This is an indicator of his attitude towards Azerbaijan, and of course, it would be naive to wait for an objective report on the presidential election from such a person,” he said.
Ahmadov said that during his communication with Krause he personally witnessed his negative attitude towards Azerbaijan.
“I spoke with another member of the mission, Egor Tilpunov. He said that it was initially known that there would be violations during the election. I asked how he knew it and he answered that he had such information in advance and they already had the report prepared. I again asked how the report was prepared if the election had not taken place yet. He said that Krause had been to Azerbaijan before and knew everything. All this means that these people would present a biased report irrespective of their observations,” he said.
He added: “A spokesman for the observation mission also expressed a negative attitude towards Azerbaijan. All this gives us grounds to conclude that ODIHR observers visited Azerbaijan on a special order.”
Ahmadov emphasized that Khadija Ismayil and Emil Milli were in close contact with members of the ODIHR observation mission.
“The report alleges that serious law violations were committed during the voting. On the election day, I was in the office. No serious law violations were recorded at polling stations. Only minor points were recorded that could not affect the election results. This report is not even a critic, but a bias, denigration. Some members of the mission also objected to this document. But they were expelled from the mission, and they were forced to leave. I could not accept this, so I officially addressed the head of the observation mission and left it. Members of the observation mission came under the influence of those who are known for their anti-Azerbaijani stance and serve the interests of Armenian circles,” he said
He went on to say that he will express his official protest to OSCE’s general office.
Ahmadov expressed hope that a final report by the ODIHR observation mission will be objective and will reflect unbiased points.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani Presidential Administration head urges end to corruption in State Migration Service
- 24.04.2018New head of Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Refugees and IDPs introduced to staff
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies law on insolvency
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Constitution of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 24.04.2018Suspects in Toronto van attack identified
- 23.04.2018Ministers and chairmen of committees appointed to the new government of Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018Chairman of Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency appointed
- 23.04.2018New appointments made for vacant posts in Cabinet of Ministers - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Ali Hasanov: US State Department's attitude to situation in Azerbaijan is biased as always
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: 44 out of 55 political parties submitted annual financial reports
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry confirms detention of ex-MP Huseyn Abdullayev
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to consider approval of new PM on April 21 - UPDATED
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani official: Some members of ODIHR mission only engaged in contacts with opposition
- 13.04.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: OSCE/ODIHR statement on Azerbaijan election ‘completely biased’
- 14.04.2018About 1,000 people attend National Council’s rally - UPDATED
- 13.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "No outside force can make us turn from this path"
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "I always rely on the support of the Azerbaijani people"
- 12.04.2018“They showed disrespect to the will of the Azerbaijani people" - OPINION