US confirms use of depleted uranium in Syria
The U.S. used thousands of depleted uranium rounds in two 2015 air raids in Syria, Central Command confirmed on Tuesday, APA reports quoting AA.
The controversial munition had not been used by the U.S. since the occupation of Iraq where it has continued to illicit claims of lingering health effects, particularly in Fallujah where U.S. forces fought intense close-quarters battles with insurgents.
The Syria air raids, carried out in mid and late November 2015, targeted oil convoys in Daesh-held territory near al-Hassakah, and Deir Ez-Zour. Four A-10 warthog fixed-wing aircraft were used, ultimately resulting in the destruction of over 330 vehicles.
"The combination of Armored Piercing Incendiary (DU) rounds mixed with High Explosive Incendiary rounds was used to ensure a higher probability of destruction of the truck fleet ISIS was using to transport its illicit oil," spokesman Maj. Josh T. Jacques said in a statement, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for Daesh.
In all, the A-10s fired 5,265 30-millimeter depleted uranium rounds, Jacques said, nothing that the "decision was made to use the rounds."
"Targets and the weapons used against those targets are chosen to ensure they adhere to the Law of Armed Conflict principles of military necessity, distinction and proportionality. The decision is made during operational planning for best weapon against each target," he said.
The comments are the first confirmation that the U.S.-led coalition used depleted uranium to attack Daesh targets in the ongoing campaign. Earlier statements maintained that the coalition would not do so.
Depleted uranium rounds are not explicitly illegal under international law, but concerns have mounted about the long-term health effects that may result in areas where they are used.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament to hold plenary session on Khojaly Genocide anniversary
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan approves action plan on ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’
- 16.02.2017Pardon Commission holds meeting
- 14.02.2017AMF starts placement of next bond issue
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves report on annual municipal activities
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani MP: Shahin Mirzayev who received asylum in Armenia was member of National Council