US confirms use of depleted uranium in Syria
The U.S. used thousands of depleted uranium rounds in two 2015 air raids in Syria, Central Command confirmed on Tuesday, APA reports quoting AA.
The controversial munition had not been used by the U.S. since the occupation of Iraq where it has continued to illicit claims of lingering health effects, particularly in Fallujah where U.S. forces fought intense close-quarters battles with insurgents.
The Syria air raids, carried out in mid and late November 2015, targeted oil convoys in Daesh-held territory near al-Hassakah, and Deir Ez-Zour. Four A-10 warthog fixed-wing aircraft were used, ultimately resulting in the destruction of over 330 vehicles.
"The combination of Armored Piercing Incendiary (DU) rounds mixed with High Explosive Incendiary rounds was used to ensure a higher probability of destruction of the truck fleet ISIS was using to transport its illicit oil," spokesman Maj. Josh T. Jacques said in a statement, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for Daesh.
In all, the A-10s fired 5,265 30-millimeter depleted uranium rounds, Jacques said, nothing that the "decision was made to use the rounds."
"Targets and the weapons used against those targets are chosen to ensure they adhere to the Law of Armed Conflict principles of military necessity, distinction and proportionality. The decision is made during operational planning for best weapon against each target," he said.
The comments are the first confirmation that the U.S.-led coalition used depleted uranium to attack Daesh targets in the ongoing campaign. Earlier statements maintained that the coalition would not do so.
Depleted uranium rounds are not explicitly illegal under international law, but concerns have mounted about the long-term health effects that may result in areas where they are used.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament to hold plenary session on Khojaly Genocide anniversary
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan approves action plan on ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’
- 16.02.2017Pardon Commission holds meeting
- 14.02.2017AMF starts placement of next bond issue
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves report on annual municipal activities
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani MP: Shahin Mirzayev who received asylum in Armenia was member of National Council