US confirms use of depleted uranium in Syria
The U.S. used thousands of depleted uranium rounds in two 2015 air raids in Syria, Central Command confirmed on Tuesday, APA reports quoting AA.
The controversial munition had not been used by the U.S. since the occupation of Iraq where it has continued to illicit claims of lingering health effects, particularly in Fallujah where U.S. forces fought intense close-quarters battles with insurgents.
The Syria air raids, carried out in mid and late November 2015, targeted oil convoys in Daesh-held territory near al-Hassakah, and Deir Ez-Zour. Four A-10 warthog fixed-wing aircraft were used, ultimately resulting in the destruction of over 330 vehicles.
"The combination of Armored Piercing Incendiary (DU) rounds mixed with High Explosive Incendiary rounds was used to ensure a higher probability of destruction of the truck fleet ISIS was using to transport its illicit oil," spokesman Maj. Josh T. Jacques said in a statement, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for Daesh.
In all, the A-10s fired 5,265 30-millimeter depleted uranium rounds, Jacques said, nothing that the "decision was made to use the rounds."
"Targets and the weapons used against those targets are chosen to ensure they adhere to the Law of Armed Conflict principles of military necessity, distinction and proportionality. The decision is made during operational planning for best weapon against each target," he said.
The comments are the first confirmation that the U.S.-led coalition used depleted uranium to attack Daesh targets in the ongoing campaign. Earlier statements maintained that the coalition would not do so.
Depleted uranium rounds are not explicitly illegal under international law, but concerns have mounted about the long-term health effects that may result in areas where they are used.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament to hold plenary session on Khojaly Genocide anniversary
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan approves action plan on ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’
- 16.02.2017Pardon Commission holds meeting
- 14.02.2017AMF starts placement of next bond issue
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves report on annual municipal activities
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani MP: Shahin Mirzayev who received asylum in Armenia was member of National Council