US confirms use of depleted uranium in Syria
The U.S. used thousands of depleted uranium rounds in two 2015 air raids in Syria, Central Command confirmed on Tuesday, APA reports quoting AA.
The controversial munition had not been used by the U.S. since the occupation of Iraq where it has continued to illicit claims of lingering health effects, particularly in Fallujah where U.S. forces fought intense close-quarters battles with insurgents.
The Syria air raids, carried out in mid and late November 2015, targeted oil convoys in Daesh-held territory near al-Hassakah, and Deir Ez-Zour. Four A-10 warthog fixed-wing aircraft were used, ultimately resulting in the destruction of over 330 vehicles.
"The combination of Armored Piercing Incendiary (DU) rounds mixed with High Explosive Incendiary rounds was used to ensure a higher probability of destruction of the truck fleet ISIS was using to transport its illicit oil," spokesman Maj. Josh T. Jacques said in a statement, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for Daesh.
In all, the A-10s fired 5,265 30-millimeter depleted uranium rounds, Jacques said, nothing that the "decision was made to use the rounds."
"Targets and the weapons used against those targets are chosen to ensure they adhere to the Law of Armed Conflict principles of military necessity, distinction and proportionality. The decision is made during operational planning for best weapon against each target," he said.
The comments are the first confirmation that the U.S.-led coalition used depleted uranium to attack Daesh targets in the ongoing campaign. Earlier statements maintained that the coalition would not do so.
Depleted uranium rounds are not explicitly illegal under international law, but concerns have mounted about the long-term health effects that may result in areas where they are used.
Related news releases
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of Interior Ministry’s employees
- 06.03.2018Today marks 63rd anniversary of Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s death
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament to hold plenary session on Khojaly Genocide anniversary
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan approves action plan on ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’
- 16.02.2017Pardon Commission holds meeting
- 14.02.2017AMF starts placement of next bond issue
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves report on annual municipal activities
- 14.02.2017Azerbaijani MP: Shahin Mirzayev who received asylum in Armenia was member of National Council