UN Security Council to visit Trump
The UN Security Council will travel to Washington for a working lunch with President Donald Trump, the U.S. mission confirmed Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In addition to meeting Monday, Council members will also tour what U.S. officials have described as evidence Iranian-supplied missiles and equipment were used by Houthi rebels in Yemen in contravention of Security Council resolutions.
H.R. McMaster, the president's national security advisor, will also take the council to the Holocaust Museum to tour an exhibit on Syria.
The visit will come as Trump continues to seek a rollback of the internationally brokered and Security Council-endorsed agreement between world powers and Iran over Tehran's nuclear program. Trump has said that he will not extend U.S. sanctions relief again unless the U.S. and its European allies come up with a side deal that would tighten regulations.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said after meeting with British Prime Minister Theresa May, Foreign Minister Boris Johnson and British National Security Adviser Mark Sedwill earlier this week that the U.S. and Britain will start work on an annex agreement.
France, however, has indicated opposition to any additional requirements, criticizing Trump for pressuring Europe to change the deal's terms.
If Trump does not again extend sanctions relief on a May deadline, he would effectively scuttle the agreement.
International inspectors have consistently said Iran is abiding by the terms of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2018Above 55,000 local observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 24.03.2018CEC: Over 300 int'l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 24.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers 4 exit poll organizations for presidential election
- 24.03.2018CEC registers four organizations seeking to hold “exit-poll” during presidential elections
- 24.03.2018Four organizations apply to CEC to hold “exit-poll” during presidential elections
- 24.03.2018CEC begins publishing voting bulletins for upcoming presidential elections
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC: Necessary measures underway to ensure participation of all voters in presidential election
- 22.03.2018Application time expires for organizations seeking accrediation to hold ‘exit-poll’ during presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan: Free airtime for presidential candidates allocated by draw
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 12% increase in foreign visitor arrivals since early 2018 – president
- 19.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to become important transportation hub in Eurasia
- 19.03.2018Top official specifies media’s main duties and obligations in respect of Azerbaijan presidential election
- 19.03.2018EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee holds 5th meeting
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 29.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends conference dedicated to State Program on socio-economic development of Azerbaijan's regions
- 29.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is one of exemplary countries in terms of development, civil solidarity
- 29.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani population has increased by 1.5 million people over past 14 years
- 26.01.2018Ruling party says there’ll be many anti-Azerbaijani provocations prior to presidential election
- 25.01.2018ECHR announces statistics of cases concerning Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijan eyes to create job quotas in institutions and organizations for disabled people