UN Security Council to visit Trump
The UN Security Council will travel to Washington for a working lunch with President Donald Trump, the U.S. mission confirmed Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In addition to meeting Monday, Council members will also tour what U.S. officials have described as evidence Iranian-supplied missiles and equipment were used by Houthi rebels in Yemen in contravention of Security Council resolutions.
H.R. McMaster, the president's national security advisor, will also take the council to the Holocaust Museum to tour an exhibit on Syria.
The visit will come as Trump continues to seek a rollback of the internationally brokered and Security Council-endorsed agreement between world powers and Iran over Tehran's nuclear program. Trump has said that he will not extend U.S. sanctions relief again unless the U.S. and its European allies come up with a side deal that would tighten regulations.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said after meeting with British Prime Minister Theresa May, Foreign Minister Boris Johnson and British National Security Adviser Mark Sedwill earlier this week that the U.S. and Britain will start work on an annex agreement.
France, however, has indicated opposition to any additional requirements, criticizing Trump for pressuring Europe to change the deal's terms.
If Trump does not again extend sanctions relief on a May deadline, he would effectively scuttle the agreement.
International inspectors have consistently said Iran is abiding by the terms of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani parl’t sets date for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 19.06.2018Pompeo says Trump agreed to 'alter' Korea armistice
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 14.06.2018New Azerbaijan Party marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Members of Azerbaijan Elders’ Council visit grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 12.06.2018U.S. embassy presents awards to winners of Earth day art competition
- 12.06.2018Slaughterhouses meeting sanitary and hygienic standards to be created in Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018MP Yevda Abramov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 07.06.2018Head of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018Pre-election campaign of Caspian European Club starts
- 06.06.2018Head of Aghdam district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018New head of Binagadi executive authority appointed
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on border troops
- 01.06.2018Head of Gadabay District Executive Authority dismissed
- 01.06.2018MP: 618 convicts released from unserved part of prison sentence in Azerbaijan over last six months - EXCLUSIVE
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament ends spring session - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018GISDI releases final report on April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended concert dedicated to centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Period of APF-Musavat authority is a black stain in our history, years of shame
- 28.05.2018Head of state: Ability to influence our policy from outside is equal to zero
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani president: Economy has increased 3.2 times
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani President: We made dreams of founders of Azerbaijan People’s Republic come true
- 28.05.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijani people can rightly be proud of establishment of first democratic republic in Muslim East
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018Today marks 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 29.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends conference dedicated to State Program on socio-economic development of Azerbaijan's regions
- 29.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is one of exemplary countries in terms of development, civil solidarity
- 29.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani population has increased by 1.5 million people over past 14 years
- 26.01.2018Ruling party says there’ll be many anti-Azerbaijani provocations prior to presidential election
- 25.01.2018ECHR announces statistics of cases concerning Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijan eyes to create job quotas in institutions and organizations for disabled people