UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'
The Cyprus reunification deal is "difficult but possible", UN’s Cyprus envoy said on Monday on the first day of talks between Turkish and Greek Cypriots in Geneva, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The international conference on Cyprus on Thursday "will only be effective, if we are successful between the 9-11 January," UN’s Cyprus envoy, Espen Barth Eide said in a press conference.
Three days of high-level talks regarding the divided island's future will be followed by an international conference on Thursday. The Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders will be joined by the three other states involved in the process -- guarantor countries Turkey, Greece, and the U.K.
Eide said the U.N. would be present in the conference as a special observer.
Noting that the last 19 months had seen significant progress on all five chapters of the Cyprus issue, Eide said "We are now at the final moment. We are at the moment of truth."
A peace deal "is going to be difficult but it is possible," UN’s Cyprus envoy said.
Eide said the international conference on Cyprus on Jan. 12 "will happen. That is not the question. But, the quality of 12 very much depends on the 9-11 discussions."
If it succeeds, this would be "historic" for the Cypriots, and it would send a very strong signal to a region affected by many conflicts, he added.
Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders gathered at the UN at Geneva on Monday morning in an attempt to resolve outstanding final issues that could see the island reunified after four decades of division.
Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akinci and Greek Cypriot leader Nicos Anastasiades met for several days of closed-door meetings in Switzerland under Eide's auspices.
The first day of negotiations will concentrate on issues including governance, property and security according to a Turkish Cypriot official.
In remarks made before his departure for Geneva, Akinci told reporters that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus would continue on its own way if a solution was not reached.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed the Geneva talks with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and British Prime Minister Theresa May on Saturday. They agreed the upcoming negotiations could be an important opportunity in reaching a final settlement.
Reunification talks resumed in May 2015; both sides have repeatedly expressed optimism that a solution could be found.
Once a final agreement is reached, it would be put to both Cypriot communities in a referendum.
Akinci has said a reunification vote could be held in mid-2017 pending agreement in Geneva.
The issue of territory is one of the most intractable on the agenda.
Although both sides were believed to be close to agreement on the amount of territory to be run by the Turkish Cypriot government, there are still disputes over which administration will run certain towns and villages.
Any agreement will mean redrawing existing boundaries and potentially moving thousands of residents from their homes, 42 years after many were displaced when the island was first divided.
The Turkish Cypriot side wants to keep 29.2 percent of the island’s territory.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani MP: Soros and Armenians share common terrorist features
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 02.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Lankaran district for visit
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Jalilabad district for visit
- 02.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins autumn session
- 29.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends Eid al-Adha congratulations to the nation
- 29.08.2017Pakistan summons Indian envoy over mortar incident
- 28.08.2017Mehman Aliyev files appeal against court decision
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 25.08.2017New Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR appointed
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Qarabag victory is an important event in promotion of Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FC Qarabag squad
- 24.08.2017FC Qarabag return home after historic success
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
- 09.01.2017Garib Mammadov awarded Shohrat order
- 07.01.2017An-178 aircrafts, Azerbaijan purchased from Ukraine, undergoing certification tests
- 06.01.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev approves Action Plan for marking anniversary of 20 January tragedy