UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'
The Cyprus reunification deal is "difficult but possible", UN’s Cyprus envoy said on Monday on the first day of talks between Turkish and Greek Cypriots in Geneva, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The international conference on Cyprus on Thursday "will only be effective, if we are successful between the 9-11 January," UN’s Cyprus envoy, Espen Barth Eide said in a press conference.
Three days of high-level talks regarding the divided island's future will be followed by an international conference on Thursday. The Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders will be joined by the three other states involved in the process -- guarantor countries Turkey, Greece, and the U.K.
Eide said the U.N. would be present in the conference as a special observer.
Noting that the last 19 months had seen significant progress on all five chapters of the Cyprus issue, Eide said "We are now at the final moment. We are at the moment of truth."
A peace deal "is going to be difficult but it is possible," UN’s Cyprus envoy said.
Eide said the international conference on Cyprus on Jan. 12 "will happen. That is not the question. But, the quality of 12 very much depends on the 9-11 discussions."
If it succeeds, this would be "historic" for the Cypriots, and it would send a very strong signal to a region affected by many conflicts, he added.
Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders gathered at the UN at Geneva on Monday morning in an attempt to resolve outstanding final issues that could see the island reunified after four decades of division.
Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akinci and Greek Cypriot leader Nicos Anastasiades met for several days of closed-door meetings in Switzerland under Eide's auspices.
The first day of negotiations will concentrate on issues including governance, property and security according to a Turkish Cypriot official.
In remarks made before his departure for Geneva, Akinci told reporters that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus would continue on its own way if a solution was not reached.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed the Geneva talks with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and British Prime Minister Theresa May on Saturday. They agreed the upcoming negotiations could be an important opportunity in reaching a final settlement.
Reunification talks resumed in May 2015; both sides have repeatedly expressed optimism that a solution could be found.
Once a final agreement is reached, it would be put to both Cypriot communities in a referendum.
Akinci has said a reunification vote could be held in mid-2017 pending agreement in Geneva.
The issue of territory is one of the most intractable on the agenda.
Although both sides were believed to be close to agreement on the amount of territory to be run by the Turkish Cypriot government, there are still disputes over which administration will run certain towns and villages.
Any agreement will mean redrawing existing boundaries and potentially moving thousands of residents from their homes, 42 years after many were displaced when the island was first divided.
The Turkish Cypriot side wants to keep 29.2 percent of the island’s territory.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Large-scale pardoning expected in Azerbaijan – parl’t speaker
- 23.02.2018No political prisoners in Azerbaijan, says MP
- 23.02.2018Next plenary session of Azerbaijani parliament begins
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan's ruling party submits voter signatures to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidency
- 22.02.2018Fattah Heydarov awarded "Istiglal" Order
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's deputy PM meets OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 22.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to MP Fattah Heydarov
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
- 09.01.2017Garib Mammadov awarded Shohrat order
- 07.01.2017An-178 aircrafts, Azerbaijan purchased from Ukraine, undergoing certification tests
- 06.01.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev approves Action Plan for marking anniversary of 20 January tragedy