UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'
The Cyprus reunification deal is "difficult but possible", UN’s Cyprus envoy said on Monday on the first day of talks between Turkish and Greek Cypriots in Geneva, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The international conference on Cyprus on Thursday "will only be effective, if we are successful between the 9-11 January," UN’s Cyprus envoy, Espen Barth Eide said in a press conference.
Three days of high-level talks regarding the divided island's future will be followed by an international conference on Thursday. The Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders will be joined by the three other states involved in the process -- guarantor countries Turkey, Greece, and the U.K.
Eide said the U.N. would be present in the conference as a special observer.
Noting that the last 19 months had seen significant progress on all five chapters of the Cyprus issue, Eide said "We are now at the final moment. We are at the moment of truth."
A peace deal "is going to be difficult but it is possible," UN’s Cyprus envoy said.
Eide said the international conference on Cyprus on Jan. 12 "will happen. That is not the question. But, the quality of 12 very much depends on the 9-11 discussions."
If it succeeds, this would be "historic" for the Cypriots, and it would send a very strong signal to a region affected by many conflicts, he added.
Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders gathered at the UN at Geneva on Monday morning in an attempt to resolve outstanding final issues that could see the island reunified after four decades of division.
Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akinci and Greek Cypriot leader Nicos Anastasiades met for several days of closed-door meetings in Switzerland under Eide's auspices.
The first day of negotiations will concentrate on issues including governance, property and security according to a Turkish Cypriot official.
In remarks made before his departure for Geneva, Akinci told reporters that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus would continue on its own way if a solution was not reached.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed the Geneva talks with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and British Prime Minister Theresa May on Saturday. They agreed the upcoming negotiations could be an important opportunity in reaching a final settlement.
Reunification talks resumed in May 2015; both sides have repeatedly expressed optimism that a solution could be found.
Once a final agreement is reached, it would be put to both Cypriot communities in a referendum.
Akinci has said a reunification vote could be held in mid-2017 pending agreement in Geneva.
The issue of territory is one of the most intractable on the agenda.
Although both sides were believed to be close to agreement on the amount of territory to be run by the Turkish Cypriot government, there are still disputes over which administration will run certain towns and villages.
Any agreement will mean redrawing existing boundaries and potentially moving thousands of residents from their homes, 42 years after many were displaced when the island was first divided.
The Turkish Cypriot side wants to keep 29.2 percent of the island’s territory.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2017Azerbaijan celebrating 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2017SSS head: Other countries look enviously at tranquility in our country
- 26.05.2017President: No domestic risks in Azerbaijan, possible risks emerge abroad
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Had it been able to maintain its independence, Azerbaijan would be one of world’s most developed countries
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on Republic Day
- 26.05.2017Investigation into Lapshin’s case wraps up
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2017Mahmud Nabiyev awarded title of ‘Honored Lawyer’
- 25.05.2017Abbasali Novruzov awarded Shohrat Order
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held successfully in Baku
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
- 09.01.2017Garib Mammadov awarded Shohrat order
- 07.01.2017An-178 aircrafts, Azerbaijan purchased from Ukraine, undergoing certification tests
- 06.01.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev approves Action Plan for marking anniversary of 20 January tragedy