UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'
The Cyprus reunification deal is "difficult but possible", UN’s Cyprus envoy said on Monday on the first day of talks between Turkish and Greek Cypriots in Geneva, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The international conference on Cyprus on Thursday "will only be effective, if we are successful between the 9-11 January," UN’s Cyprus envoy, Espen Barth Eide said in a press conference.
Three days of high-level talks regarding the divided island's future will be followed by an international conference on Thursday. The Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders will be joined by the three other states involved in the process -- guarantor countries Turkey, Greece, and the U.K.
Eide said the U.N. would be present in the conference as a special observer.
Noting that the last 19 months had seen significant progress on all five chapters of the Cyprus issue, Eide said "We are now at the final moment. We are at the moment of truth."
A peace deal "is going to be difficult but it is possible," UN’s Cyprus envoy said.
Eide said the international conference on Cyprus on Jan. 12 "will happen. That is not the question. But, the quality of 12 very much depends on the 9-11 discussions."
If it succeeds, this would be "historic" for the Cypriots, and it would send a very strong signal to a region affected by many conflicts, he added.
Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders gathered at the UN at Geneva on Monday morning in an attempt to resolve outstanding final issues that could see the island reunified after four decades of division.
Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akinci and Greek Cypriot leader Nicos Anastasiades met for several days of closed-door meetings in Switzerland under Eide's auspices.
The first day of negotiations will concentrate on issues including governance, property and security according to a Turkish Cypriot official.
In remarks made before his departure for Geneva, Akinci told reporters that the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus would continue on its own way if a solution was not reached.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed the Geneva talks with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and British Prime Minister Theresa May on Saturday. They agreed the upcoming negotiations could be an important opportunity in reaching a final settlement.
Reunification talks resumed in May 2015; both sides have repeatedly expressed optimism that a solution could be found.
Once a final agreement is reached, it would be put to both Cypriot communities in a referendum.
Akinci has said a reunification vote could be held in mid-2017 pending agreement in Geneva.
The issue of territory is one of the most intractable on the agenda.
Although both sides were believed to be close to agreement on the amount of territory to be run by the Turkish Cypriot government, there are still disputes over which administration will run certain towns and villages.
Any agreement will mean redrawing existing boundaries and potentially moving thousands of residents from their homes, 42 years after many were displaced when the island was first divided.
The Turkish Cypriot side wants to keep 29.2 percent of the island’s territory.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
- 09.01.2017Garib Mammadov awarded Shohrat order
- 07.01.2017An-178 aircrafts, Azerbaijan purchased from Ukraine, undergoing certification tests
- 06.01.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev approves Action Plan for marking anniversary of 20 January tragedy