Trump creates 'National Vetting Center' for immigrants, refugees and travelers
President Donald Trump is finally making good on his promise to implement "extreme vetting" practices for immigrants, refugees and anybody else trying to enter the US, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Late Monday, CNN reported Trump is expected to sign a national security memorandum on Tuesday establishing a "National Vetting Center" that will help coordinate information between various federal agencies. The order will allow the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies involved in the process six months to establish the center, which administration officials said is intended to streamline vetting and improve the flow of information between various federal agencies.
While the agency is expected to focus on immigrants, refugees and visa applicants, it will reportedly also assist in deportation cases.
The memorandum Trump is expected to sign on Tuesday will not establish any new authorities or call for any new funding to establish the vetting center, which will be an effort between DHS, the State Department, Justice Department and intelligence agencies, a National Security Council official said.
It's unclear how this effort will change the way travelers and immigrants to the US are vetted.
While the center's efforts are largely expected to focus on visa applicants, immigrants and others looking to enter the US, the center will also look to streamline vetting of certain individuals who are already in the US, including those subject to deportation proceedings, according to the National Security Council official.
In an attempt to fend off a spate of lawsuits from federal appeals courts that have so far stymied most of his immigration-reform efforts, Trump will order the creation of an independent civil liberties panel to oversee the new agency. The center will also be overseen by a board that's expected to include at least one cabinet minister.
Anticipating concerns from civil liberties groups, the memorandum will also establish a standing privacy and civil liberties panel, which will have some oversight over the National Vetting Center's activities. The membership of that panel will also be determined during the six-month period.
The National Vetting Center is part of the Trump administration's broader efforts to tighten immigration screenings, following Trump's calls for "extreme vetting" during his presidential campaign.
Trump has repeatedly pointed to the need for tighter immigration controls, amplifying his calls in the wake of terrorist attacks -- even when the terrorist in question was born in the US or was radicalized after entering the United States.
Despite his precautions, Trump's order will almost certainly be met with an injunction from a liberal federal judge - probably one from the ninth circuit, if history is any guide. Trump is set to announce the policy Tuesday, but the exact timing of the announcement is unknown.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 09.02.2018Ilgar Abbasov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party submits documents to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 07.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 08.02.20186th Congress of New Azerbaijan Party kicks off
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party nominates Ilham Aliyev for upcoming presidential election - UPDATED
- 06.02.2018New head of Jalilabad district executive authority appointed
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC to end preparation of ballots for early presidential election by April 1
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman: Some states interested in meddling in other countries’ internal affairs