Ali Hasanov explains order on holding of extraordinary presidential election in Azerbaijan
The Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs, Ali Hasanov, has commented on the order of Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev “On Announcing Extraordinary Presidential Election in the Republic of Azerbaijan”.
All the elections in Azerbaijan have been held in a democratic, transparent and fair manner in accordance with the country’s Constitution, Electoral Code and other relevant legislative acts, Hasanov told APA.
He noted that the recent presidential, parliamentary and municipal elections have reflected the will of the people and been highly appreciated by local and international observers.
"You know that three years of every five years in Azerbaijan have to do with elections. In this regard, an amendment was made to Article 101 of the Constitution and the term of office of the head of state was prolonged from 5 to 7 years. Since the presidential term was prolonged to seven years, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan has the right to appeal to voters for a vote of confidence—to announce an extraordinary presidential election. Therefore, the issues envisaged in the Order “On Announcing Extraordinary Presidential Election in the Republic of Azerbaijan” fully comply with the requirements of the Constitution and the country’s legislation,” Hasanov added.
According to the Constitution of Azerbaijan, the presidential election for 2018 was scheduled for October, said the top official.
“However, starting from May this year, numerous important local and international events will be held in Azerbaijan. Among them are a number of events in connection with the 100th anniversary of establishment of the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic, the International Humanitarian Forum, etc. Most of these events fall at the end of the year and coincide with the elections,” said Hasanov. “On the other hand, according to the practice existing in Azerbaijan, all elections are held in autumn. Taking into account the world practice, it is more expedient to hold elections in different seasons, including at the beginning of the year.”
“In addition, the election of Azerbaijan’s president for a period of seven years ensures the fulfillment of presidential powers from the beginning of the economic year. This, in turn, opens up an additional opportunity for more effective implementation of the tasks in the social and economic spheres,” he added.
Hasanov said that the independent policy pursued by President Ilham Aliyev over the past period served Azerbaijan’s national interests, ensured the comprehensive and rapid development of the country, contributed to the renewal and modernization of all spheres of society’s life and improved the people’s welfare.
“Today, Azerbaijan is known as a country which enjoys a great reputation in the international community. All this is the main factor that determines the high trust and full support of the Azerbaijani people, citizens and voters for President Ilham Aliyev. We can say with confidence that Ilham Aliyev has a great opportunity to gain a brilliant victory in the upcoming presidential election and again become president,” he said.
The top official stressed that the holding of elections in October or April can not be interpreted as limiting the opportunities of potential candidates, including Ilham Aliyev, and as additional dividends for them.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 10.02.2018Tillerson sees tough talks with Turkey, others on Mideast trip
- 09.02.2018Ilgar Abbasov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party submits documents to CEC for registration of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 05.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC to decide on extraordinary presidential election on Feb. 6
- 05.02.2018Next congress of Azerbaijan’s ruling party rescheduled to Feb. 8
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on civil service
- 05.02.2018Azerbaijan Trade Unions Confederation nominates Ilham Aliyev for extraordinary presidential election
- 05.02.2018Top official calls on trade unionists to support Ilham Aliyev in extraordinary presidential election
- 05.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC to decide on extraordinary presidential election within a week