Ali Hasanov explains order on holding of extraordinary presidential election in Azerbaijan
The Azerbaijani President’s Assistant for Public and Political Affairs, Ali Hasanov, has commented on the order of Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev “On Announcing Extraordinary Presidential Election in the Republic of Azerbaijan”.
All the elections in Azerbaijan have been held in a democratic, transparent and fair manner in accordance with the country’s Constitution, Electoral Code and other relevant legislative acts, Hasanov told APA.
He noted that the recent presidential, parliamentary and municipal elections have reflected the will of the people and been highly appreciated by local and international observers.
"You know that three years of every five years in Azerbaijan have to do with elections. In this regard, an amendment was made to Article 101 of the Constitution and the term of office of the head of state was prolonged from 5 to 7 years. Since the presidential term was prolonged to seven years, the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan has the right to appeal to voters for a vote of confidence—to announce an extraordinary presidential election. Therefore, the issues envisaged in the Order “On Announcing Extraordinary Presidential Election in the Republic of Azerbaijan” fully comply with the requirements of the Constitution and the country’s legislation,” Hasanov added.
According to the Constitution of Azerbaijan, the presidential election for 2018 was scheduled for October, said the top official.
“However, starting from May this year, numerous important local and international events will be held in Azerbaijan. Among them are a number of events in connection with the 100th anniversary of establishment of the Azerbaijani Democratic Republic, the International Humanitarian Forum, etc. Most of these events fall at the end of the year and coincide with the elections,” said Hasanov. “On the other hand, according to the practice existing in Azerbaijan, all elections are held in autumn. Taking into account the world practice, it is more expedient to hold elections in different seasons, including at the beginning of the year.”
“In addition, the election of Azerbaijan’s president for a period of seven years ensures the fulfillment of presidential powers from the beginning of the economic year. This, in turn, opens up an additional opportunity for more effective implementation of the tasks in the social and economic spheres,” he added.
Hasanov said that the independent policy pursued by President Ilham Aliyev over the past period served Azerbaijan’s national interests, ensured the comprehensive and rapid development of the country, contributed to the renewal and modernization of all spheres of society’s life and improved the people’s welfare.
“Today, Azerbaijan is known as a country which enjoys a great reputation in the international community. All this is the main factor that determines the high trust and full support of the Azerbaijani people, citizens and voters for President Ilham Aliyev. We can say with confidence that Ilham Aliyev has a great opportunity to gain a brilliant victory in the upcoming presidential election and again become president,” he said.
The top official stressed that the holding of elections in October or April can not be interpreted as limiting the opportunities of potential candidates, including Ilham Aliyev, and as additional dividends for them.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Azerbaijani SEC to decide on extraordinary presidential election on Feb. 6
- 05.02.2018Next congress of Azerbaijan’s ruling party rescheduled to Feb. 8
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on civil service
- 05.02.2018Azerbaijan Trade Unions Confederation nominates Ilham Aliyev for extraordinary presidential election
- 05.02.2018Top official calls on trade unionists to support Ilham Aliyev in extraordinary presidential election
- 05.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC to decide on extraordinary presidential election within a week