Scotland sets out legal case to have a say on Brexit trigger
Baku-APA. The Scottish government on Friday published legal arguments it will use to try to persuade Britain's highest court that the devolved Scottish parliament must give its approval before Prime Minister Theresa May can trigger the Brexit process APA reports quoting Reuters.
A High Court ruled earlier this month that the government must seek the approval of the British parliament before starting the legal process of leaving the European Union. The British government is appealing that judgment in the Supreme Court.
The nationalist Scottish government is joining the legal case, due to be heard in early December, and on Friday set out its argument in full.
It raises the threat of a delay to Brexit and an even greater constitutional puzzle - if it wins its case and if, as expected, the Scottish parliament subsequently votes against May's plan to start EU divorce proceedings by the end of March.
A majority of Scots voted to stay in the EU, in contrast to England and Wales where most voted to leave. The overall result of the June referendum was 52-48 percent in favor of leaving.
Scotland's 58-page legal document argued that any vote in the British parliament would alter the current devolution arrangements for Scotland and would therefore require a separate vote in its own devolved parliament.
"A bill brought before the UK Parliament to withdraw the UK from the EU would engage the constitutional convention in terms of which that Parliament does not normally legislate with regard to devolved matters without the consent of the Scottish Parliament," the document said.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 22.06.2017Trump, new Saudi crown prince discuss Qatar rift
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 24.11.2016Public administration to be improved in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan introduces fines for violating rules of import and sale of medicines
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan imposes ban on the sale of medicines on unregulated prices