Scotland sets out legal case to have a say on Brexit trigger
Baku-APA. The Scottish government on Friday published legal arguments it will use to try to persuade Britain's highest court that the devolved Scottish parliament must give its approval before Prime Minister Theresa May can trigger the Brexit process APA reports quoting Reuters.
A High Court ruled earlier this month that the government must seek the approval of the British parliament before starting the legal process of leaving the European Union. The British government is appealing that judgment in the Supreme Court.
The nationalist Scottish government is joining the legal case, due to be heard in early December, and on Friday set out its argument in full.
It raises the threat of a delay to Brexit and an even greater constitutional puzzle - if it wins its case and if, as expected, the Scottish parliament subsequently votes against May's plan to start EU divorce proceedings by the end of March.
A majority of Scots voted to stay in the EU, in contrast to England and Wales where most voted to leave. The overall result of the June referendum was 52-48 percent in favor of leaving.
Scotland's 58-page legal document argued that any vote in the British parliament would alter the current devolution arrangements for Scotland and would therefore require a separate vote in its own devolved parliament.
"A bill brought before the UK Parliament to withdraw the UK from the EU would engage the constitutional convention in terms of which that Parliament does not normally legislate with regard to devolved matters without the consent of the Scottish Parliament," the document said.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2017Azerbaijan celebrating 99th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2017SSS head: Other countries look enviously at tranquility in our country
- 26.05.2017President: No domestic risks in Azerbaijan, possible risks emerge abroad
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Had it been able to maintain its independence, Azerbaijan would be one of world’s most developed countries
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on Republic Day
- 26.05.2017Investigation into Lapshin’s case wraps up
- 26.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits memorial to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2017Mahmud Nabiyev awarded title of ‘Honored Lawyer’
- 25.05.2017Abbasali Novruzov awarded Shohrat Order
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: 4th Islamic Solidarity Games held successfully in Baku
- 19.05.2017Madat Guliyev: Tranquility prevailing in Azerbaijan attracting tourists
- 19.05.2017SSC head: This criminal network took root in Azerbaijan in late 1980s
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to wrap up spring session on May 31
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary session - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani Democratic Republic’s 100th anniversary to be celebrated at state level
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan to amend rules for controlling activities of diplomats
- 16.05.2017VAK liquidation causes uproar in Azerbaijani parliament
- 16.05.2017MP Hasanguliyev accuses Russia of provocations against Azerbaijan before presidential election
- 16.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP slams Russian court’s decision to liquidate VAK
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan’s political party calls for return of death penalty
- 11.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Saudi Minister of State for Gulf Affairs
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President: "Nobody recognized the so-called "referendum" held in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended solemn ceremony to mark 94th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev and 13th anniversary of the establishment of Heydar Aliyev Foundation
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of Azerbaijani national leader's birthday - UPDATED
- 10.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijan marks 94th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017MES marks 94th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2017Azerbaijani president attends ceremony to mark Victory Day
- 08.05.2017Employees of bodies directly supporting Azerbaijani President’s activities to be granted diplomatic passports
- 07.05.2017İS car bombs kill 9 police officers in west Mosul
- 06.05.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference on national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birth anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ali Hasanov: Some states support Armenia in UN, so resolutions on Karabakh remain unfulfilled
- 05.05.2017Azerbaijani FM: Impossible to defeat terrorism without cooperation
- 03.05.2017Baku hosts conference entitled “Heydar Aliyev – First Azerbaijani General of state security agencies”
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijani MP: We can’t allow socio-political destabilization in country for 5 or 10 manats
- 02.05.2017U.S. issues travel alert for Europe, citing threat of terrorist attacks
- 01.05.2017Death toll among Afghan forces at 807 in Jan-Feb, says report
- 01.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Baku Higher Oil School campus
- 29.04.2017Organization of services checked at Baku international airport
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 24.11.2016Public administration to be improved in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan introduces fines for violating rules of import and sale of medicines
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan imposes ban on the sale of medicines on unregulated prices