Scotland sets out legal case to have a say on Brexit trigger
Baku-APA. The Scottish government on Friday published legal arguments it will use to try to persuade Britain's highest court that the devolved Scottish parliament must give its approval before Prime Minister Theresa May can trigger the Brexit process APA reports quoting Reuters.
A High Court ruled earlier this month that the government must seek the approval of the British parliament before starting the legal process of leaving the European Union. The British government is appealing that judgment in the Supreme Court.
The nationalist Scottish government is joining the legal case, due to be heard in early December, and on Friday set out its argument in full.
It raises the threat of a delay to Brexit and an even greater constitutional puzzle - if it wins its case and if, as expected, the Scottish parliament subsequently votes against May's plan to start EU divorce proceedings by the end of March.
A majority of Scots voted to stay in the EU, in contrast to England and Wales where most voted to leave. The overall result of the June referendum was 52-48 percent in favor of leaving.
Scotland's 58-page legal document argued that any vote in the British parliament would alter the current devolution arrangements for Scotland and would therefore require a separate vote in its own devolved parliament.
"A bill brought before the UK Parliament to withdraw the UK from the EU would engage the constitutional convention in terms of which that Parliament does not normally legislate with regard to devolved matters without the consent of the Scottish Parliament," the document said.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 24.11.2017“Qarabağ” FK is a carrier of information missile of Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan to exempt some employees of its embassies abroad from income tax
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan expands list of places where cigarette and hookah smoking are prohibited
- 24.11.2017Madar Musayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to host two int’l events next year
- 23.11.2017MPs request increase of funds allocated to parliament
- 23.11.2017Siyavush Novruzov proposes additional funds be given to parliament
- 22.11.2017Minister: Governmental reforms led to saving of more than AZN 17M
- 22.11.2017Ogtay Asadov: If needed, we’ll reconsider oil price so that it doesn’t fall
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani CEC says will take necessary measures to hold free, fair presidential election next year
- 21.11.2017Law abolishing posts of state adviser and PA deputy head takes effect
- 21.11.2017MP proposes closure of Azerbaijani embassies in some countries
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani envoy: There can be no explanation for act against Turkey at recent NATO drill
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan parliament begins discussion of 2018 state budget package
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 24.11.2016Public administration to be improved in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan introduces fines for violating rules of import and sale of medicines
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan imposes ban on the sale of medicines on unregulated prices