Russia would not have allowed to manipulate itself if joined NATO
Russia President Vladimir Putin said that the possibility of Russia's accession to NATO caused Washington's nervousness because Moscow would not have allowed manipulating itself in case of joining the alliance, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The possibility of Russia's accession to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) caused Washington's nervousness because Moscow would not have allowed to manipulate itself in case of joining the alliance, Russia President Vladimir Putin said in an interview to US filmmaker Oliver Stone.
The president noted that he had mentioned the possibility of Russia's accession to NATO's membership during one of the meetings with then US President Bill Clinton during the latter's visit to Moscow. Putin said, that such prospects caused nervousness of his US colleagues.
"Why did our partners get nervous? Because if Russia joins [NATO], it will always has a voice, we would not allow to manipulate us, but our US friends do not even allow a thought about this," Putin said in the documentary series, the first episode of which was aired by the US TV channel Showtime late on Monday.
Russia was very open after the Soviet Union dissolution and its openness even concerned Moscow's nuclear program, Putin pointed out.
"We have not practically had any secrets left. There were the US observers on a constant duty at one of our major and main facilities manufacturing the nuclear weapon components… We have already been open enough. There was no additional threats in [accession to NATO] for us," Putin stressed.
Related news releases
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several persons for their active role in Azerbaijan’s public-political life
- 18.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary title ‘honored civil servant’ on two persons
- 17.11.2017MP Siyavush Novruzov: Musavat Party should not claim to be successor to the Musavat of ADR period
- 17.11.2017European Parliament unable to conceal coming under Armenian lobby’s influence, says Azerbaijani MP
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan begins preparation for celebration of ADR centenary
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Revival Day
- 16.11.2017"Learning to Learn" 2nd International Learning Conference underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Ahliman Amiraslanov awarded 'Sharaf' order
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Absheron district
- 15.11.2017Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Majlis of Nakhchivan AR dismissed
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on prevention of international crimes
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan reveals rules for treatment of released drug addict prisoners
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Stability will be lasting in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan now stronger than ever
- 14.11.2017President: Establishment of YAP was a turning point in history of modern Azerbaijani statehood
- 14.11.2017New assistant of Azerbaijan's first VP appointed
- 14.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony marking 25th anniversary of New Azerbaijan Party
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan creates Food Security Institute
- 13.11.2017MP Hasanguliyev urges privatization of ‘Azerishig’ and ‘Azeristiliktechizat’
- 13.11.2017Arif Rahimzade: Local executive authorities restrict activities of municipalities
- 12.11.2017Azerbaijan marks Constitution Day
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president awards employees of Center for Strategic Studies
- 10.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: No financial problems in Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017About 20 Azerbaijani children in Iraqi shelter to be repatriated soon – diplomat
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Ganja city
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan marks National Flag Day
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session rescheduled
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani President approves the changes related to the activities of the institution of legal representation
- 06.11.2017US lifts visa restrictions on Turkey on 'limited basis'
- 06.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views retro carriages of Baku Metro
- 03.11.2017Zeynal Naghdaliyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 03.11.2017Musavat Party stages rally outside Baku Mayor's Office
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Musa Gasimli with order
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Hadi Rajabli with order
- 28.10.2017National Council holds rally
- 27.10.2017Amendments to draft law on institution of legal representation in Azerbaijani courts revealed
- 27.10.2017Minister of Emergency Situations Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Shabran
- 26.10.2017Mubariz Gurbanli: Azerbaijan’s steps against religious extremists – signal to their financial backers
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan eyes to prohibit presence of representatives in trials
- 25.10.2017Baku Mayor's Office approves National Council’s request for rally
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins extraordinary session
- 13.06.2017Notions of terrorist and terror broadened in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017Last meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s extraordinary session to take place on June 30
- 12.06.2017Flights canceled, trains suspended as China braces for Typhoon
- 12.06.2017Deputy Heads of Secretariat of Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President appointed
- 09.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences over death of Energy Minister Natig Aliyev