President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political and cultural life of Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
At the meeting of the Azerbaijani Security Council, held under the chairmanship of President Ilham Aliyev, the head of state introduced Mehriban Aliyeva.
“Today Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed First Vice-President of Azerbaijan by my order. Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political life of the country, our cultural life,” said President Aliyev addressing the meeting.
The head of state recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva has been a member of the Azerbaijani parliament since 2005 and done a lot as a deputy.
“At the same time, she has extensive international activities which have earned us more friends,” President Aliyev said.
He noted that Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since 2004.
“Under her leadership, the Foundation has turned into the biggest and more influential public organization not only in Azerbaijan, but also in the region,” said the president, stressing that multi-faceted activities of the Foundation are appreciated by the Azerbaijani people.
The head of state commended a number of important projects and programs initiated by the Foundation.
“Among them, the “New School for new Azerbaijan” program is worth mentioning. Under this program, over 3,000 schools have been repaired or reconstructed in the country over the last 13 years,” he added.
The president noted that the Heydar Aliyev Foundation has held numerous presentations and events about Azerbaijan in different countries.
The president said Mehriban Aliyeva is also a member of the National Olympic Committee of Azerbaijan and the Executive Committee, praising her special role in organizing several global events held in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to her efforts, the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest was organized at a high level. The First European Games was held at a high level thanks to the efforts of Mehriban Aliyeva, who was head of the Organizing Committee. It was a magnificent achievement to hold the Games at the level of Summer Olympics. The First European Games will be remembered as the major sports games held at the highest level. It’s no coincidence that the holding of the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games has been entrusted to her this year. She’s the Chairman of the Organizing Committee. I’m sure that we will hold the Islamic Solidarity Games at a high level as well,” he added.
The president emphasized that Mehriban Aliyeva has a high reputation on the international arena. “She has been awarded the highest state awards and orders of several countries thanks to her activities.” Ilham Aliyev said.
“She has been Goodwill Ambassador of UNESCO and ISESCO for more than 10 years. In the world there is no second such person being a goodwill ambassador of these two influential organizations. It is also related with the contribution she gave to inter-religious and intercultural dialogue. This contribution is an expression of our state policy,” said the president.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan is a country that has made a great contribution to the dialogue among civilizations.
The president recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the Heydar Aliyev Order – the highest order of the Azerbaijani state – for her fruitful activity in the organization of the First European Games in 2015.
“Mehriban Aliyeva is also very professional, knowledgeable, experienced, principled and charitable person. It is not accidental that the Azerbaijani people have great love and sympathy for her. Given all these factors, I have made this decision,” he added.
From now on, a new period will begin in the life of Mrs. Aliyeva, according to the president.
“I am confident that she will further contribute to the development of our country. I congratulate her on this appointment and wish her new successes,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on centenary of 1918 Genocide of Azerbaijanis
- 18.01.2018Isa Gambar discharged from hospital
- 17.01.2018One of presidential aide positions abolished in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 21.02.2017VP Mehriban Aliyeva: I realize seriousness of my responsibility
- 21.02.2017Azerbaijani official: All had been expecting Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 21.02.2017Heads of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions congratulate Mehriban Aliyeva
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan