President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political and cultural life of Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
At the meeting of the Azerbaijani Security Council, held under the chairmanship of President Ilham Aliyev, the head of state introduced Mehriban Aliyeva.
“Today Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed First Vice-President of Azerbaijan by my order. Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political life of the country, our cultural life,” said President Aliyev addressing the meeting.
The head of state recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva has been a member of the Azerbaijani parliament since 2005 and done a lot as a deputy.
“At the same time, she has extensive international activities which have earned us more friends,” President Aliyev said.
He noted that Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since 2004.
“Under her leadership, the Foundation has turned into the biggest and more influential public organization not only in Azerbaijan, but also in the region,” said the president, stressing that multi-faceted activities of the Foundation are appreciated by the Azerbaijani people.
The head of state commended a number of important projects and programs initiated by the Foundation.
“Among them, the “New School for new Azerbaijan” program is worth mentioning. Under this program, over 3,000 schools have been repaired or reconstructed in the country over the last 13 years,” he added.
The president noted that the Heydar Aliyev Foundation has held numerous presentations and events about Azerbaijan in different countries.
The president said Mehriban Aliyeva is also a member of the National Olympic Committee of Azerbaijan and the Executive Committee, praising her special role in organizing several global events held in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to her efforts, the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest was organized at a high level. The First European Games was held at a high level thanks to the efforts of Mehriban Aliyeva, who was head of the Organizing Committee. It was a magnificent achievement to hold the Games at the level of Summer Olympics. The First European Games will be remembered as the major sports games held at the highest level. It’s no coincidence that the holding of the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games has been entrusted to her this year. She’s the Chairman of the Organizing Committee. I’m sure that we will hold the Islamic Solidarity Games at a high level as well,” he added.
The president emphasized that Mehriban Aliyeva has a high reputation on the international arena. “She has been awarded the highest state awards and orders of several countries thanks to her activities.” Ilham Aliyev said.
“She has been Goodwill Ambassador of UNESCO and ISESCO for more than 10 years. In the world there is no second such person being a goodwill ambassador of these two influential organizations. It is also related with the contribution she gave to inter-religious and intercultural dialogue. This contribution is an expression of our state policy,” said the president.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan is a country that has made a great contribution to the dialogue among civilizations.
The president recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the Heydar Aliyev Order – the highest order of the Azerbaijani state – for her fruitful activity in the organization of the First European Games in 2015.
“Mehriban Aliyeva is also very professional, knowledgeable, experienced, principled and charitable person. It is not accidental that the Azerbaijani people have great love and sympathy for her. Given all these factors, I have made this decision,” he added.
From now on, a new period will begin in the life of Mrs. Aliyeva, according to the president.
“I am confident that she will further contribute to the development of our country. I congratulate her on this appointment and wish her new successes,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani MP: Soros and Armenians share common terrorist features
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 02.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Lankaran district for visit
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Jalilabad district for visit
- 02.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins autumn session
- 29.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends Eid al-Adha congratulations to the nation
- 29.08.2017Pakistan summons Indian envoy over mortar incident
- 28.08.2017Mehman Aliyev files appeal against court decision
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 25.08.2017New Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR appointed
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Qarabag victory is an important event in promotion of Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FC Qarabag squad
- 24.08.2017FC Qarabag return home after historic success
- 21.02.2017VP Mehriban Aliyeva: I realize seriousness of my responsibility
- 21.02.2017Azerbaijani official: All had been expecting Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 21.02.2017Heads of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions congratulate Mehriban Aliyeva
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan