President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political and cultural life of Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
At the meeting of the Azerbaijani Security Council, held under the chairmanship of President Ilham Aliyev, the head of state introduced Mehriban Aliyeva.
“Today Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed First Vice-President of Azerbaijan by my order. Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political life of the country, our cultural life,” said President Aliyev addressing the meeting.
The head of state recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva has been a member of the Azerbaijani parliament since 2005 and done a lot as a deputy.
“At the same time, she has extensive international activities which have earned us more friends,” President Aliyev said.
He noted that Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since 2004.
“Under her leadership, the Foundation has turned into the biggest and more influential public organization not only in Azerbaijan, but also in the region,” said the president, stressing that multi-faceted activities of the Foundation are appreciated by the Azerbaijani people.
The head of state commended a number of important projects and programs initiated by the Foundation.
“Among them, the “New School for new Azerbaijan” program is worth mentioning. Under this program, over 3,000 schools have been repaired or reconstructed in the country over the last 13 years,” he added.
The president noted that the Heydar Aliyev Foundation has held numerous presentations and events about Azerbaijan in different countries.
The president said Mehriban Aliyeva is also a member of the National Olympic Committee of Azerbaijan and the Executive Committee, praising her special role in organizing several global events held in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to her efforts, the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest was organized at a high level. The First European Games was held at a high level thanks to the efforts of Mehriban Aliyeva, who was head of the Organizing Committee. It was a magnificent achievement to hold the Games at the level of Summer Olympics. The First European Games will be remembered as the major sports games held at the highest level. It’s no coincidence that the holding of the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games has been entrusted to her this year. She’s the Chairman of the Organizing Committee. I’m sure that we will hold the Islamic Solidarity Games at a high level as well,” he added.
The president emphasized that Mehriban Aliyeva has a high reputation on the international arena. “She has been awarded the highest state awards and orders of several countries thanks to her activities.” Ilham Aliyev said.
“She has been Goodwill Ambassador of UNESCO and ISESCO for more than 10 years. In the world there is no second such person being a goodwill ambassador of these two influential organizations. It is also related with the contribution she gave to inter-religious and intercultural dialogue. This contribution is an expression of our state policy,” said the president.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan is a country that has made a great contribution to the dialogue among civilizations.
The president recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the Heydar Aliyev Order – the highest order of the Azerbaijani state – for her fruitful activity in the organization of the First European Games in 2015.
“Mehriban Aliyeva is also very professional, knowledgeable, experienced, principled and charitable person. It is not accidental that the Azerbaijani people have great love and sympathy for her. Given all these factors, I have made this decision,” he added.
From now on, a new period will begin in the life of Mrs. Aliyeva, according to the president.
“I am confident that she will further contribute to the development of our country. I congratulate her on this appointment and wish her new successes,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 21.02.2017VP Mehriban Aliyeva: I realize seriousness of my responsibility
- 21.02.2017Azerbaijani official: All had been expecting Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 21.02.2017Heads of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions congratulate Mehriban Aliyeva
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan