President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political and cultural life of Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
At the meeting of the Azerbaijani Security Council, held under the chairmanship of President Ilham Aliyev, the head of state introduced Mehriban Aliyeva.
“Today Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed First Vice-President of Azerbaijan by my order. Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political life of the country, our cultural life,” said President Aliyev addressing the meeting.
The head of state recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva has been a member of the Azerbaijani parliament since 2005 and done a lot as a deputy.
“At the same time, she has extensive international activities which have earned us more friends,” President Aliyev said.
He noted that Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since 2004.
“Under her leadership, the Foundation has turned into the biggest and more influential public organization not only in Azerbaijan, but also in the region,” said the president, stressing that multi-faceted activities of the Foundation are appreciated by the Azerbaijani people.
The head of state commended a number of important projects and programs initiated by the Foundation.
“Among them, the “New School for new Azerbaijan” program is worth mentioning. Under this program, over 3,000 schools have been repaired or reconstructed in the country over the last 13 years,” he added.
The president noted that the Heydar Aliyev Foundation has held numerous presentations and events about Azerbaijan in different countries.
The president said Mehriban Aliyeva is also a member of the National Olympic Committee of Azerbaijan and the Executive Committee, praising her special role in organizing several global events held in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to her efforts, the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest was organized at a high level. The First European Games was held at a high level thanks to the efforts of Mehriban Aliyeva, who was head of the Organizing Committee. It was a magnificent achievement to hold the Games at the level of Summer Olympics. The First European Games will be remembered as the major sports games held at the highest level. It’s no coincidence that the holding of the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games has been entrusted to her this year. She’s the Chairman of the Organizing Committee. I’m sure that we will hold the Islamic Solidarity Games at a high level as well,” he added.
The president emphasized that Mehriban Aliyeva has a high reputation on the international arena. “She has been awarded the highest state awards and orders of several countries thanks to her activities.” Ilham Aliyev said.
“She has been Goodwill Ambassador of UNESCO and ISESCO for more than 10 years. In the world there is no second such person being a goodwill ambassador of these two influential organizations. It is also related with the contribution she gave to inter-religious and intercultural dialogue. This contribution is an expression of our state policy,” said the president.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan is a country that has made a great contribution to the dialogue among civilizations.
The president recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the Heydar Aliyev Order – the highest order of the Azerbaijani state – for her fruitful activity in the organization of the First European Games in 2015.
“Mehriban Aliyeva is also very professional, knowledgeable, experienced, principled and charitable person. It is not accidental that the Azerbaijani people have great love and sympathy for her. Given all these factors, I have made this decision,” he added.
From now on, a new period will begin in the life of Mrs. Aliyeva, according to the president.
“I am confident that she will further contribute to the development of our country. I congratulate her on this appointment and wish her new successes,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan: Free airtime for presidential candidates allocated by draw
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 12% increase in foreign visitor arrivals since early 2018 – president
- 19.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to become important transportation hub in Eurasia
- 19.03.2018Top official specifies media’s main duties and obligations in respect of Azerbaijan presidential election
- 19.03.2018EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee holds 5th meeting
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2017VP Mehriban Aliyeva: I realize seriousness of my responsibility
- 21.02.2017Azerbaijani official: All had been expecting Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 21.02.2017Heads of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions congratulate Mehriban Aliyeva
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan