President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political and cultural life of Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
At the meeting of the Azerbaijani Security Council, held under the chairmanship of President Ilham Aliyev, the head of state introduced Mehriban Aliyeva.
“Today Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed First Vice-President of Azerbaijan by my order. Mehriban Aliyeva, for many years, has been playing an important and active role in the socio-political life of the country, our cultural life,” said President Aliyev addressing the meeting.
The head of state recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva has been a member of the Azerbaijani parliament since 2005 and done a lot as a deputy.
“At the same time, she has extensive international activities which have earned us more friends,” President Aliyev said.
He noted that Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since 2004.
“Under her leadership, the Foundation has turned into the biggest and more influential public organization not only in Azerbaijan, but also in the region,” said the president, stressing that multi-faceted activities of the Foundation are appreciated by the Azerbaijani people.
The head of state commended a number of important projects and programs initiated by the Foundation.
“Among them, the “New School for new Azerbaijan” program is worth mentioning. Under this program, over 3,000 schools have been repaired or reconstructed in the country over the last 13 years,” he added.
The president noted that the Heydar Aliyev Foundation has held numerous presentations and events about Azerbaijan in different countries.
The president said Mehriban Aliyeva is also a member of the National Olympic Committee of Azerbaijan and the Executive Committee, praising her special role in organizing several global events held in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to her efforts, the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest was organized at a high level. The First European Games was held at a high level thanks to the efforts of Mehriban Aliyeva, who was head of the Organizing Committee. It was a magnificent achievement to hold the Games at the level of Summer Olympics. The First European Games will be remembered as the major sports games held at the highest level. It’s no coincidence that the holding of the 4th Islamic Solidarity Games has been entrusted to her this year. She’s the Chairman of the Organizing Committee. I’m sure that we will hold the Islamic Solidarity Games at a high level as well,” he added.
The president emphasized that Mehriban Aliyeva has a high reputation on the international arena. “She has been awarded the highest state awards and orders of several countries thanks to her activities.” Ilham Aliyev said.
“She has been Goodwill Ambassador of UNESCO and ISESCO for more than 10 years. In the world there is no second such person being a goodwill ambassador of these two influential organizations. It is also related with the contribution she gave to inter-religious and intercultural dialogue. This contribution is an expression of our state policy,” said the president.
President Aliyev noted that Azerbaijan is a country that has made a great contribution to the dialogue among civilizations.
The president recalled that Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the Heydar Aliyev Order – the highest order of the Azerbaijani state – for her fruitful activity in the organization of the First European Games in 2015.
“Mehriban Aliyeva is also very professional, knowledgeable, experienced, principled and charitable person. It is not accidental that the Azerbaijani people have great love and sympathy for her. Given all these factors, I have made this decision,” he added.
From now on, a new period will begin in the life of Mrs. Aliyeva, according to the president.
“I am confident that she will further contribute to the development of our country. I congratulate her on this appointment and wish her new successes,” added President Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Montenegrin President thanks US Senate for ratifying NATO accession
- 28.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Today we show example of how to govern a country
- 28.03.2017Four militants killed in raid in NE Bangladesh, death toll rises to 10
- 27.03.2017Deputy Chief of Azerbaijani Foreign Intelligence Service promoted to higher military rank of Major General
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 21.02.2017VP Mehriban Aliyeva: I realize seriousness of my responsibility
- 21.02.2017Azerbaijani official: All had been expecting Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 21.02.2017Heads of Azerbaijan’s religious confessions congratulate Mehriban Aliyeva
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan