Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
In a statement to APA, Ali Hasanov, the Azerbaijani president's assistant for public and political issues, has commented on the remarks made by OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Harlem Désir during an interview with Radio “Voice of America” about the situation of the freedoms of speech and information.
Hasanov stressed that official representatives of a reliable organization like the OSCE tend to repeat tendentious and subjective claims about the freedoms of speech and information made by some foreign circles and NGOs and media outlets under their control.
"The freedoms of speech and information have been provided in Azerbaijan, a legislative framework has been set up in line with international standards regulating this field, hundreds of media outlets are functioning freely, and 82 percent of the population has access to the Internet. It is not right to express concern over the state of media freedom in Azerbaijan, to make allegations of media outlets being inhibited, journalists tortured, human rights activists arrested, and their being a state of impunity. In general, it is not right to distort the essence of an act of crime in a country and portray it as a restriction of the freedoms of speech and information. Azerbaijan is a legitimate, democratic country where rule of law is protected. Any person—irrespective of their social status and position—must be held accountable for any illegal activity they engage in under the guise of media representative, violating the law, journalistic ethics and norms,” he said.
According to Hasanov, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has repeatedly stressed the importance of journalistic responsibility during numerous meetings with journalists and urged media representatives to be objective and not to allow themselves to be manipulated in the hands of othersş
"This is a principal issue for the Azerbaijani state and society. In Europe’s developed countries, journalists get arrested, their activities get restricted, people’s right to freedom of expression gets prevented in the most drastic ways, but unfortunately, such incidents do not attract the attention of the OSCE and other international journalistic organizations. Mr. Harlem Désir and some circles that are in solidarity with him should be more balanced and objective in their positions and not take a tendentious approach towards Azerbaijan. The State of Azerbaijan takes consistent steps to further develop the freedoms of speech and information, as well as to ensure journalistic security, media transparency and responsibility. Azerbaijan is willing to strive to continue its efforts in the upcoming period and ready for open dialogue with all international and local organizations in this respect,” Hasanov said.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Number of lawyers in Azerbaijan exceeds 1,500
- 18.07.2018President of Italy awarded Order of "Heydar Aliyev"
- 17.07.2018President allocates funding for renovation of Yanar Dag reserve
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards ANAMA employees
- 16.07.2018New deputy mayor of Baku appointed
- 14.07.2018Orders of police officers martyred in Ganja presented to family members
- 14.07.2018Population's income in Azerbaijan increases by 7.3%
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev posthumously awards police officers killed in Azerbaijan's Ganja
- 13.07.2018President Aliyev: Neither foreign nor internal forces can influence people-government unity in Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criminals, their supporters will fail to achieve their insidious goals
- 13.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chairs meeting of heads of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement bodies
- 13.07.2018Baku: Pashinyan, by talking about democracy, aims to legitimize his coming to power through coup d'état
- 13.07.2018Person accused of killing police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja eliminated
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 11.07.2018Ali Hasanov: Vulnerable situation in Ganja requires even greater unity of society around state
- 11.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets European Council president in Brussels
- 11.07.2018Attempts to create chaos in Azerbaijan don’t have any prospects – official
- 10.07.2018Deputy Chief of Ganja City Police Office and Nizami District Police Office martyred while preventing unrest - OFFİCİAL
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of judicial authorities
- 10.07.2018Legal assessment to be given to activities of companies in connection with illegal production of non-ferrous metals in occupied territories of Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan is a very stable and strong country"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "We will fulfill all the tasks set in 2018"
- 09.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "I hope that the new government of Armenia will not repeat the mistakes of the previous leadership"
- 09.07.2018A number of persons penalized for issuing illegal calls on social networking over power cut and assault on Ganja head of executive authority
- 09.07.201812 suspects detained over assault on Ganja’s head of executive authority
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of diplomatic service agencies
- 08.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev chaired meeting of Cabinet of Ministers dedicated to results of socio-economic development in first half of 2018 and future objectives
- 07.07.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations appointed
- 06.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Constitutional Court played important role in ensuring stability of Azerbaijan’s legal system
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani President received WHO Director General - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Interior Minister : "In connection with the lack of electricity, no serious crimes were committed"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijani President: "Serious investigation into the situation in the energy system should be carried out, the perpetrators should be brought to justice"
- 04.07.2018Prosecutor General: "Criminal case was initiated in connection with the incident at Mingachevir TPS"
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: Government capable of ensuring security of country and population
- 03.07.2018MES: Works to eliminate the accident underway, evacuation process goes on
- 02.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani police should bring their activities in line with modern requirements
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president awards interior minister, first deputy interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session - UPDATED
- 28.06.2018US, Turkey can have 'more productive’ talk: Pompeo
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijan increases number of assistants to 1st vice-president
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 17.01.2018Isa Gambar to stay under medical supervision for a time, cardiologist says
- 17.01.2018New appointment made in Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED