MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
Unfortunately, the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) are known for its tendentious and biased approaches to elections held in Azerbaijan so far, Elman Nasiro, MP, director of the Institute of Political Studies of the Academy of Public Administration under the President of Azerbaijan, told APA.
The MP said there is no denying that Azerbaijan is a country that has experienced a phase of democratic development.
“Another truth is that democracy itself is a process with no final point. Whichever state claims to have reached a peak of democracy has lied. Democracy is a process and Azerbaijan is the most active participant of this process,” he said.
Nasirov pointed out that Azerbaijan is implementing very serious reforms in the direction of democratic development.
“From this point of view, the presidential, parliamentary and municipal elections held in our country are important political events and are regarded by the international community as serious steps towards Azerbaijan’s democratic development. The position of the international community in the 2013 presidential election was that by holding these elections Azerbaijan took the next step towards democracy. With this in mind, it is already possible to say that the presidential election to be held in Azerbaijan on April 11, 2018 will be a new event and a new step forward in the direction of democratic development. This approach has been stated in the final opinion of many international organizations. However, we have witnessed other approaches,” he said.
According to the lawmaker, in many cases information indicates that the biased and non-objective reports of the OSCE/ODIHR are already prepared even before the election.
"It is left only to declare these biased reports after the elections. We would like the ODIHR to give up this unpleasant tradition and to demonstrate an objective and unbiased attitude towards the upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan. This is our desire. Unfortunately, facts related to this organization’s activity reveal other points,” said the MP, stressing that it is not ruled out that Azerbaijan will witness another biased attitude of the ODIHR towards the April 11 presidential election.
He went on to say: “I hope that this organization will abandon its groundless attitude towards Azerbaijani society and announce changes in Azerbaijan, steps taken in the country towards democracy and achievements gained in the process of building a democratic and legal state. This is what we expect. Unfortunately, in most cases the organization obtains information from unreliable sources and misleads the international community.”
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani parl’t sets date for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 19.06.2018Pompeo says Trump agreed to 'alter' Korea armistice
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 14.06.2018New Azerbaijan Party marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Members of Azerbaijan Elders’ Council visit grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 12.06.2018U.S. embassy presents awards to winners of Earth day art competition
- 12.06.2018Slaughterhouses meeting sanitary and hygienic standards to be created in Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018MP Yevda Abramov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 07.06.2018Head of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018Pre-election campaign of Caspian European Club starts
- 06.06.2018Head of Aghdam district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018New head of Binagadi executive authority appointed
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on border troops
- 01.06.2018Head of Gadabay District Executive Authority dismissed
- 01.06.2018MP: 618 convicts released from unserved part of prison sentence in Azerbaijan over last six months - EXCLUSIVE
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament ends spring session - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018GISDI releases final report on April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended concert dedicated to centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Period of APF-Musavat authority is a black stain in our history, years of shame
- 28.05.2018Head of state: Ability to influence our policy from outside is equal to zero
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani president: Economy has increased 3.2 times
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani President: We made dreams of founders of Azerbaijan People’s Republic come true
- 28.05.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijani people can rightly be proud of establishment of first democratic republic in Muslim East
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018Today marks 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally