MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
Unfortunately, the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) are known for its tendentious and biased approaches to elections held in Azerbaijan so far, Elman Nasiro, MP, director of the Institute of Political Studies of the Academy of Public Administration under the President of Azerbaijan, told APA.
The MP said there is no denying that Azerbaijan is a country that has experienced a phase of democratic development.
“Another truth is that democracy itself is a process with no final point. Whichever state claims to have reached a peak of democracy has lied. Democracy is a process and Azerbaijan is the most active participant of this process,” he said.
Nasirov pointed out that Azerbaijan is implementing very serious reforms in the direction of democratic development.
“From this point of view, the presidential, parliamentary and municipal elections held in our country are important political events and are regarded by the international community as serious steps towards Azerbaijan’s democratic development. The position of the international community in the 2013 presidential election was that by holding these elections Azerbaijan took the next step towards democracy. With this in mind, it is already possible to say that the presidential election to be held in Azerbaijan on April 11, 2018 will be a new event and a new step forward in the direction of democratic development. This approach has been stated in the final opinion of many international organizations. However, we have witnessed other approaches,” he said.
According to the lawmaker, in many cases information indicates that the biased and non-objective reports of the OSCE/ODIHR are already prepared even before the election.
"It is left only to declare these biased reports after the elections. We would like the ODIHR to give up this unpleasant tradition and to demonstrate an objective and unbiased attitude towards the upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan. This is our desire. Unfortunately, facts related to this organization’s activity reveal other points,” said the MP, stressing that it is not ruled out that Azerbaijan will witness another biased attitude of the ODIHR towards the April 11 presidential election.
He went on to say: “I hope that this organization will abandon its groundless attitude towards Azerbaijani society and announce changes in Azerbaijan, steps taken in the country towards democracy and achievements gained in the process of building a democratic and legal state. This is what we expect. Unfortunately, in most cases the organization obtains information from unreliable sources and misleads the international community.”
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan: Free airtime for presidential candidates allocated by draw
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 12% increase in foreign visitor arrivals since early 2018 – president
- 19.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan to become important transportation hub in Eurasia
- 19.03.2018Top official specifies media’s main duties and obligations in respect of Azerbaijan presidential election
- 19.03.2018EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee holds 5th meeting
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev joins nationwide Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of Interior Ministry’s employees
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally