MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
There is a need to inform the public and the parliament about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, and to get MPs involved in the process, Azay Guliyev, Azerbaijani MP, Vice-President of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly, told reporters on Friday.
He said that Armenian public figures who fear a recurrence of the April fighting have called on their Azerbaijani counterparts to look for a solution to the conflict together.
For the first time in the conflict’s history three Armenian human rights defenders and one NGO head joined a conference in Baku on November 8, the MP said, recalling that the conference participants made an appeal to the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents and peoples.
“Armenian human rights activists and NGO leaders dared to expose the Sargsyan regime and its aggressive policy. To institutionalize their activities and continue their peacekeeping mission as a common organization, the participants created the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 7,” he added.
According to Guliyev, the platform defined possible ways of settling the conflict and the scope of cooperation of Armenia-Azerbaijan civil society institutions.
He stressed that Armenian and Azerbaijani human rights defenders and NGO leaders emphasized that there are no prospects of continuing the occupation, which poses a serious threat to the region.
“They sent a message to the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents for peaceful settlement of the conflict. The message outlined that in order to achieve a long-term peace there is a need for unconditional liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories, return of all internally displaced persons to their homes, restoration of relations between Armenia and Azerbaijan, determination of the legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh within Azerbaijan, and safety of the Armenians living there of the Azerbaijanis to returns to their homes. The founders of the platform are three Armenian NGO representatives and a human rights activist, and three Azerbaijani NGOs,” added Guliyev.
He noted that the number of people seeking to join the platform is on the rise, noting two Armenian youths have faced violence and arrests for seeking to join the platform. He expressed hope that these violent methods will not prevent those who want to support the platform.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Deputy PM calls for end to injustice against Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 10.04.2017Israeli envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement should be based on Minsk Group
- 08.04.2017Siyavush Novruzov: Relevant authorities investigating Ali Karimli’s migrant trade issue
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC warns political parties over failure to submit financial reports
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves annual report by National Coordinator for combating human trafficking
- 07.04.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 06.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan has never been as strong in history as it is now"
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 21.12.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM visits Russian embassy to sign condolence book
- 21.12.2016Azerbaijani MP slams Iran’s high-level cooperation with Armenian military-criminal regime
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%