MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
There is a need to inform the public and the parliament about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, and to get MPs involved in the process, Azay Guliyev, Azerbaijani MP, Vice-President of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly, told reporters on Friday.
He said that Armenian public figures who fear a recurrence of the April fighting have called on their Azerbaijani counterparts to look for a solution to the conflict together.
For the first time in the conflict’s history three Armenian human rights defenders and one NGO head joined a conference in Baku on November 8, the MP said, recalling that the conference participants made an appeal to the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents and peoples.
“Armenian human rights activists and NGO leaders dared to expose the Sargsyan regime and its aggressive policy. To institutionalize their activities and continue their peacekeeping mission as a common organization, the participants created the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 7,” he added.
According to Guliyev, the platform defined possible ways of settling the conflict and the scope of cooperation of Armenia-Azerbaijan civil society institutions.
He stressed that Armenian and Azerbaijani human rights defenders and NGO leaders emphasized that there are no prospects of continuing the occupation, which poses a serious threat to the region.
“They sent a message to the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents for peaceful settlement of the conflict. The message outlined that in order to achieve a long-term peace there is a need for unconditional liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories, return of all internally displaced persons to their homes, restoration of relations between Armenia and Azerbaijan, determination of the legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh within Azerbaijan, and safety of the Armenians living there of the Azerbaijanis to returns to their homes. The founders of the platform are three Armenian NGO representatives and a human rights activist, and three Azerbaijani NGOs,” added Guliyev.
He noted that the number of people seeking to join the platform is on the rise, noting two Armenian youths have faced violence and arrests for seeking to join the platform. He expressed hope that these violent methods will not prevent those who want to support the platform.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Head of Yasamal District Executive Power dismissed
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up extraordinary session
- 30.06.2017Azerbaijani MP voices concern over some witness testimonies challenging government
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president awards several employees of Interior Ministry
- 29.06.2017Four officers of Azerbaijani Interior Ministry promoted to rank of major general
- 29.06.2017Azerbaijani president submits to parliament bill on humanization of criminal legislation
- 29.06.2017Arif Seyidov awarded order “For service to the Motherland”
- 27.06.2017Polish President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017Eid al-Fitr prayer performed in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Elchin Amirbayov appointed assistant to Azerbaijan's First Vice-President
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world’s strong armies
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani Armed Forces largely equipped with local products
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Internal Troops military unit in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shirvan city
- 22.06.2017Trump, new Saudi crown prince discuss Qatar rift
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 21.12.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM visits Russian embassy to sign condolence book
- 21.12.2016Azerbaijani MP slams Iran’s high-level cooperation with Armenian military-criminal regime
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%