MP: Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform to receive increasing support
There is a need to inform the public and the parliament about the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform, and to get MPs involved in the process, Azay Guliyev, Azerbaijani MP, Vice-President of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly, told reporters on Friday.
He said that Armenian public figures who fear a recurrence of the April fighting have called on their Azerbaijani counterparts to look for a solution to the conflict together.
For the first time in the conflict’s history three Armenian human rights defenders and one NGO head joined a conference in Baku on November 8, the MP said, recalling that the conference participants made an appeal to the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents and peoples.
“Armenian human rights activists and NGO leaders dared to expose the Sargsyan regime and its aggressive policy. To institutionalize their activities and continue their peacekeeping mission as a common organization, the participants created the Armenia-Azerbaijan Peace Platform on December 7,” he added.
According to Guliyev, the platform defined possible ways of settling the conflict and the scope of cooperation of Armenia-Azerbaijan civil society institutions.
He stressed that Armenian and Azerbaijani human rights defenders and NGO leaders emphasized that there are no prospects of continuing the occupation, which poses a serious threat to the region.
“They sent a message to the Armenian and Azerbaijani presidents for peaceful settlement of the conflict. The message outlined that in order to achieve a long-term peace there is a need for unconditional liberation of the occupied Azerbaijani territories, return of all internally displaced persons to their homes, restoration of relations between Armenia and Azerbaijan, determination of the legal status of Nagorno-Karabakh within Azerbaijan, and safety of the Armenians living there of the Azerbaijanis to returns to their homes. The founders of the platform are three Armenian NGO representatives and a human rights activist, and three Azerbaijani NGOs,” added Guliyev.
He noted that the number of people seeking to join the platform is on the rise, noting two Armenian youths have faced violence and arrests for seeking to join the platform. He expressed hope that these violent methods will not prevent those who want to support the platform.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani parl’t sets date for last meeting of extraordinary session
- 19.06.2018Pompeo says Trump agreed to 'alter' Korea armistice
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Ali Ahmadov: Our opponents avoid face-to-face meetings in open political arena, indecently behave in social networks
- 14.06.2018New Azerbaijan Party marks National Salvation Day
- 14.06.2018Members of Azerbaijan Elders’ Council visit grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 13.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Fitr
- 12.06.2018U.S. embassy presents awards to winners of Earth day art competition
- 12.06.2018Slaughterhouses meeting sanitary and hygienic standards to be created in Azerbaijan
- 11.06.2018MP Yevda Abramov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 07.06.2018Head of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018Pre-election campaign of Caspian European Club starts
- 06.06.2018Head of Aghdam district executive authority dismissed
- 06.06.2018New head of Binagadi executive authority appointed
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan to amend law on border troops
- 01.06.2018Head of Gadabay District Executive Authority dismissed
- 01.06.2018MP: 618 convicts released from unserved part of prison sentence in Azerbaijan over last six months - EXCLUSIVE
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament ends spring session - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018GISDI releases final report on April 11 presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended concert dedicated to centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Period of APF-Musavat authority is a black stain in our history, years of shame
- 28.05.2018Head of state: Ability to influence our policy from outside is equal to zero
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani president: Economy has increased 3.2 times
- 28.05.2018Azerbaijani President: We made dreams of founders of Azerbaijan People’s Republic come true
- 28.05.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijani people can rightly be proud of establishment of first democratic republic in Muslim East
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends official reception on centennial of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 28.05.2018Today marks 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 27.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "The interests of the Azerbaijani people are above all for us"
- 25.05.2018MP Elmira Akhundova awarded title of “People’s Writer”
- 25.05.2018Fattah Heydarov: Having failed to reach his ambitions, Rustam Ibrahimbeyov degrading his own people
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold special session in autumn to mark its centenary
- 24.05.2018National flag once hung in parliament of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic presented to government
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 20.12.2016U.S. ready to help Russia, Turkey investigate diplomat's killing: Kerry
- 21.12.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM visits Russian embassy to sign condolence book
- 21.12.2016Azerbaijani MP slams Iran’s high-level cooperation with Armenian military-criminal regime
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijan ratifies several documents with Switzerland, Liechtenstein
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani MP raises issue over accident in Caspian Sea
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%