Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast