Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 15.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Defense Ministry’s press service creates conditions for press to write about army
- 15.12.2017Media should only disseminate information verified by Azerbaijani MoD – MP
- 15.12.2017MP Fazil Mustafa criticizes activities of Penitentiary Service
- 15.12.2017New bill on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan adopted in second reading
- 15.12.2017Media should not be banned from writing about army – MP Hasanguliyev
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani MP proposes introducing parliamentary control over Armed Forces
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates administrative building of YAP Sumgayit city branch
- 15.12.2017Suicide attempt of young boy prevented in Baku
- 13.12.2017Number of assistants to Azerbaijani PM reduced
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan commemorates 14th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev’s death
- 11.12.2017Leadership of New Azerbaijan Party pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.12.2017Process of obtaining state registration for real estate simplified in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani CEC to strip MPs of mandates for violation of voting rights and ethical norms
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan reducing term of early presidential election from 3 to 2 months
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan’s taxes minister Fazil Mammadov dismissed from post
- 05.12.2017Mikayil Jabbarov appointed taxes minister of Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves law on establishment of ‘Rashadat’ Order
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Migration Code
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijani President signs decree on the activity of "Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation" OJSC
- 02.12.2017Guba district executive head changed
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases funding of political parties, NGOs
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament ratifies several interstate agreements
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves bill restricting tobacco use
- 30.11.2017About 1.9 million jobs created in Azerbaijan since 2003: deputy PM
- 30.11.2017Clashes kill four in Yemen capital as anti-Saudi alliance frays
- 29.11.2017Pakistani FM arrives in Baku
- 28.11.2017Azerbaijani President: "All the outlined issues have been resolved this year"
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated newly renovated Sugovushan-Hashimkhanli highway in Sabirabad
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Sabirabad district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghjabadi district
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 27.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to socio-economic development of Ganja
- 27.11.2017Elmar Valiyev awarded Order “For service to the Motherland”
- 24.11.2017Erdogan, Trump discuss developments in Syria - UPDATED
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president submits bill to amend law on compensation for damage caused by investigative and judicial authorities
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast