Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2016CEC: 117 int'l observers to monitor referendum in Azerbaijan
- 25.09.2016Pre-referendum campaign in Azerbaijan ends
- 24.09.2016Ali Hasanov: New institute of management to ensure adequacy of presidential form of government to modern challenges
- 24.09.2016Pre-referendum campaign in Azerbaijan to end tomorrow
- 24.09.2016Obama vetoes controversial 9/11 lawsuit bill
- 23.09.2016Azerbaijani MP: Western imperialism launches attack Azerbaijan with its entire network
- 23.09.2016Azerbaijan to change mechanism for implementing decisions on protection of human rights and freedoms
- 22.09.2016Top official: Michel Forst’s report on Azerbaijan is unreal, biased and ordered - INTERVIEW
- 22.09.2016Azerbaijan to cremate dead bodies of those infected with threatening illness
- 22.09.2016TURKPA to observe constitutional referendum in Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2016Nearly 53,000 observers registered for referendum in Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev: "Mingachevir Industrial Park will bring the country foreign currency in large volumes"
- 22.09.2016Powers of the State Border Service for checking of vehicles, goods and other property eliminated
- 21.09.2016Proposed amendments to Azerbaijani Constitution aimed at improving governance
- 21.09.2016Azerbaijan: Venice Commission’s initial opinion on Azerbaijani referendum – a political order
- 21.09.2016Over 5,600 polling stations to be set up for Azerbaijani referendum
- 21.09.2016Referendum in Azerbaijan: Webcams to be installed at about 1,000 polling stations
- 19.09.2016Those detained in National Council rally sentenced to administrative arrest
- 19.09.2016UN special rapporteur meets with Ilgar Mammadov
- 17.09.2016National Council holding rally in Baku
- 17.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views cotton plantation in Sabirabad
- 17.09.2016EU leaders see 'road map' rebuilding trust after Brexit
- 16.09.2016Erkin Gadirli: They removed my name from list for fear that Armenians might object to my participation
- 16.09.2016Religious leaders in Azerbaijan condemns calls for believers to participate in protest rallies
- 16.09.2016US firm conducts opinion survey in Azerbaijan ahead of referendum
- 16.09.2016Referendum day in Azerbaijan declared as non-working
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijani oppositionist expelled from National Council for opposing protest rallies
- 15.09.2016Ilham Aliyev: Some foreign circles seek to turn Azerbaijan into tool
- 15.09.2016Literacy level in Azerbaijan close to 100 percent – president
- 15.09.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan moving forward based on its internal resources
- 15.09.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijani youth gained brilliant military victory over Armenian occupants in April
- 15.09.2016Worldwide unification policy being carried out under guise of globalization – Azerbaijani president
- 15.09.2016Musavat Party, National Council authorized to hold rally
- 15.09.2016Sept. 16 – deadline for receipt of applications on Azerbaijan referendum observation
- 15.09.2016French-Azerbaijani University to operate in new building for next academic year
- 15.09.2016Commemorative event held at Turkish Martyrs' Memorial in Baku
- 15.09.201698 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 14.09.2016Referendum in Azerbaijan: 26 polling stations set up in penitentiary facilities
- 12.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Eid al-Adha
- 11.09.2016Venezuela opposition says blocked from meeting near summit
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast