Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan may increase retirement age - EXCLUSIVE
- 08.12.2016Unemployed people should be given social benefits, Azerbaijani MP proposes
- 07.12.2016Unneeded state agencies be abolished, related ones merged, Azerbaijani MP suggests
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani MP speaks out against utility price hikes
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan expects economic growth in next four years
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament begins 2017 state budget discussion
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani President: "The April battles are our glorious history"
- 03.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Flag Museum in Aghdam district
- 03.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev views repair works in houses damaged by Armenian shelling during April battle in Aghdam
- 03.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Aghdam
- 03.12.2016Ilham Aliyev, his spouse view repair on houses damaged by Armenians during April fights in Tartar
- 03.12.2016Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of YAP Tartar district branch
- 03.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Tartar district
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani President: "We have achieved a reduction of the negative consequences of the global crisis"
- 03.12.2016Armed groups clash in Tripoli in worst fighting for over a year
- 02.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Zardab
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijan increases financing of diplomatic missions abroad
- 02.12.2016Azerbaijani lawmaker calls for 30% reduction in public administration system
- 01.12.2016Erdogan, Merkel discuss Aleppo over phone
- 01.12.2016MP: Both culture and defence spheres require equal attention
- 30.11.2016Baku hosts presentation of 'Ilham Aliyev. Portrait of a President Against the Backdrop of Change' book
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MP calls for revival of death penalty
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan to criminalize defamation of president on Internet
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament approves draft proposal criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani MPs call for reconsideration of bilateral ties with Russia
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijani parliament starts next plenary meeting
- 28.11.2016Azerbaijan makes public content of bill to be prepared on Khojaly genocide
- 26.11.2016Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers in Sinai
- 26.11.2016Scotland sets out legal case to have a say on Brexit trigger
- 24.11.2016Public administration to be improved in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan introduces fines for violating rules of import and sale of medicines
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan imposes ban on the sale of medicines on unregulated prices
- 21.11.2016Ali Ahmadov: YAP is the only political party created at people’s request
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijani President approves National Action Plan on combating the financing of terrorism
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan to mark Aziz Aliyev’s 120th anniversary
- 18.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of judicial authorities
- 18.11.2016Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijan is region's most important country
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijani president comments on whether his children will engage in politics
- 18.11.2016Travel agencies in Azerbaijan not to pass accreditation for getting e-visas for tourists
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan eyes amendments to law on nationals living abroad
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast