Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 29.07.2016Azerbaijan’s ANS says will appeal to relevant authorities against judgment on license cancellation
- 29.07.2016Iran to export Russian gas to Georgia via Armenia
- 29.07.2016Azerbaijan’s ruling party creates initiative groups on referendum
- 28.07.2016Currency traders disclose reason for decline in Azerbaijani manat
- 28.07.2016Pope Francis trips as he arrives for Mass in Poland
- 28.07.2016Azerbaijani deputy PM: Age limit removal doesn’t mean that 18-year-old citizen must be elected MP
- 28.07.2016Revolutions, wars in Middle East pose serious challenges to Azerbaijan: deputy PM
- 28.07.2016Azerbaijan announces date of pre-referendum campaign
- 28.07.2016Azerbaijani CEC creates working group for referendum on constitutional reforms
- 27.07.2016Azerbaijani CEC: Results of referendum on constitutional amendments to be announced before Oct.21
- 26.07.2016Azerbaijan to hold referendum on constitutional amendments on Sept. 26
- 26.07.2016Normalization of Turkey-Armenia relations possible after liberation of Azerbaijani lands, says ambassador
- 26.07.2016International Bank of Azerbaijan unable to return Israeli company’s deposits
- 25.07.2016Milikh Yevdayev awarded Shohrat order
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijani vice-speaker: Draft Referendum Act envisages cases in which parliament can be dissolved
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijani president to set date for referendum on constitutional amendments
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijani Constitutional Court approves draft amendments to constitution - UPDATED
- 24.07.2016UN chief condemns Kabul terrorist attack
- 22.07.2016No Turkish military base being created in Azerbaijan – parliament vice-speaker
- 22.07.2016Azerbaijan Deposit Insurance Fund to sell properties of liquidated banks at auction
- 22.07.2016Constitutional Court to consider draft amendments to Azerbaijan’s Constitution on July 25
- 21.07.2016AZN 3M allocated to continue construction of residential building for journalists in Baku
- 21.07.2016Azerbaijan plans to hold referendum on constitutional amendments this year
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijan allocates building and sructures to Turkish Armed Forces
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani currency rates on July 20
- 19.07.2016Azerbaijani MP: Each state may include priority provisions in constitution
- 19.07.2016Baku Court of Appeal to consider lawsuit on cancellation of ANS license
- 19.07.2016Azerbaijani President: "Despite the crises in the world, we are on the path of development"
- 18.07.2016First vice-president and vice-president positions proposed to be established in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2016Azerbaijan presidential term can be extended
- 18.07.2016Draft referendum act on amendments to Azerbaijani Constitution submitted to Constitutional Court
- 18.07.2016Azerbaijan appoints new consul general to Turkey’s Kars
- 16.07.2016Azerbaijani president deeply concerned over events in Turkey
- 15.07.2016Cavusoglu: It’s planned to create new Turkey-Azerbaijan-Kazakhstan trilateral co-op format
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijan puts 41 officials on wanted list
- 15.07.2016Azerbaijani President: "Ukrainian president's visit to Azerbaijan is a very serious political step"
- 12.07.2016Azerbaijani parliament to break up for summer recess this week
- 10.07.2016President Aliyev: Global threats growing, economic crisis deepening
- 05.07.2016Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms repeat parliamentary election results - UPDATED
- 04.07.2016Baghdad bombing death toll exceeds 200
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast