Most of Azerbaijan’s losses from oil price drop to be compensated – top official
He made the remarks Feb. 2 during a meeting with representatives of the public in country’s Guba district.
Hasanov said Azerbaijan did not notice the global economic crisis in 2008. However, the second waive of that crisis, which began in 2015, especially the dramatic fall in oil price, is affecting all countries including Azerbaijan.
“Even under such severe circumstances, Azerbaijan’s economy increased by 1.1 percent while growth in the non-oil sector amounted to 8.4 percent. What it means is, Azerbaijan has diversified its economy and ensured its sustainable, consistent and dynamic development, and properly defined a strategy of using all economic and social resources,” the top official noted.
He went on to add that the non-oil sector is today becoming the priority area in Azerbaijan’s economy, already making up 70 percent of GDP. “Nevertheless, energy potential will continue to be used and efforts made in this direction will last. Regardless of its price, oil is the core of Azerbaijan’s relations with the West and the entire world,” said Hasanov.
The top official said that Azerbaijan, as a country located at the center of East-West and North-South transport corridors, has significantly expanded its transport and transit opportunities over the last period.
He noted that upon the commissioning of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway line, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Central Asian countries will form a special circle in the West-East and Europe-Asia relations. “Work is underway to put the railway into full operation.”
The delivery of goods from China into the European market via Central Asia – Caspian Sea – South Caucasus – Turkey – Mediterranean Sea is under test, Hasanov said.
Azerbaijan has already put into operation the largest trade port in the Caspian Sea, the president’s aide said. “The railway will start to operate by late 2016 and after full operation of the same infrastructures in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia, Azerbaijan will get great incomes which will become extra resources for the future development of the country,” he stressed.
In addition, he said that Azerbaijan is one of the main routes in the transportation from South to North.
According to Hasanov, the delivery of goods from Iran and the Persian Gulf region to sea terminals of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Russia through the Caspian Sea ferries in Azerbaijan is one of the tasks lying ahead.
“In short, we are currently working on access to energy, transport and transit resources. Moreover, the work is underway on the Shah Deniz 2 exploitation within the Southern Gas Corridor and the transportation of Azerbaijani gas to Turkish and European markets,” he said.
TANAP is currently being implemented and after a while an export pipeline will be commissioned to deliver Azerbaijani gas to Turkey, Hasanov added.
“Therefore, a large part of the losses as a result of the decline in oil prices will be compensated. As mentioned by the president, we are planning to welcome the 2030 –the post-oil period that will see oil revenues end – with a strong, competitive economic system,” he emphasized.
The top official said the Azerbaijani government is developing a strategy to compensate lost profits in other areas. The strategy includes the Southern Gas Corridor, Azerbaijan’s transit opportunities, human capital, non-oil economy and other resources.
“As is obvious, we have broad capacities and opportunities. The government, under the leadership of President Ilham Aliyev, managed to form this capacity thanks to the profits from energy exports, which is a good response to those who alleges inefficient use of oil revenues,” Hasanov completed.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2017ISESCO condemns ceasefire violations by Armenia in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 13.01.2017Iraqi forces make gains against Islamic State in Mosul
- 13.01.2017Azerbaijan preparing code of ethics for MPs
- 12.01.2017Azerbaijan preparing bill on crimes of genocide
- 12.01.2017PACE co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Military capability of Nakhchivan is at the highest level"
- 11.01.2017Thorbjørn Jagland urges Armenia to return body of Azerbaijani serviceman, without delay
- 11.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev ends visit to Nakhchivan
- 11.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev pays tribute to national leader in Nakhchivan
- 11.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 10.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev pays condolence visit to Iranian embassy in Baku
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan enjoys great respect in Islamic world
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another priority of 2016 fulfilled – protection of foreign currency reserves
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has found solution to crisis that resulted from oil price drop
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan declares 2017 Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 09.01.2017UN: Cyprus reunification 'difficult but possible'
- 09.01.2017Garib Mammadov awarded Shohrat order
- 07.01.2017An-178 aircrafts, Azerbaijan purchased from Ukraine, undergoing certification tests
- 06.01.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev approves Action Plan for marking anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 06.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament spring session to commence on Jan. 12
- 05.01.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 01.01.2017Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament adopts statement on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament wraps up autumn session
- 30.12.2016Azerbaijani parliament holds last meeting of 2016
- 30.12.2016Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 65 times
- 28.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: ASAN service brought novelty into citizen-civil servant relationship
- 28.12.2016Ziyafat Asgarov: I don’t trust Minsk Group, we should count on our own power only
- 28.12.2016Draft law on labor pension submitted to Azerbaijani parliament
- 27.12.2016Parliament’s disciplinary commission discusses MP Astan Shahverdiyev’s controversial interview
- 27.12.2016Over 700 religious communities registered in Azerbaijan
- 26.12.2016Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani state pays special attention to countrymen living abroad
- 26.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens new park in Baku - UPDATED
- 26.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev views work done in Baku White City
- 24.12.2016Baku hosting “Address of future: President Ilham Aliyev’s strategy of reforms” conference
- 24.12.2016Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 55 today
- 23.12.2016Malta's PM: Hijackers of Libyan plane used fake weapons
- 23.12.2016US imposes sanctions against Syrian Central Bank chief, cabinet members
- 23.12.2016Azerbaijani president awards employees of Ombudsman's Office
- 22.12.2016Polish Govt rejects renewed pressure from EU on rights
- 02.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of academician Jalal Aliyev
- 03.02.2016Azerbaijan establishes Board of Appeal under president
- 03.02.2016Chief of State Security Service of Azerbaijan’s Nakhchivan promoted to major general
- 02.02.2016Azerbaijani top official meets public representatives in Guba
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP calls on counterparts and ministers to leave other posts
- 01.02.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes to restore Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast