Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
Russia is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, said Andrey Klimov, a member of the Russian Federation Council.
He made the remarks at an international conference “The Moscow-Baku Axis: Towards a New Caucasus Geopolitics” that kicked off in Baku on Thursday, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
The Russian senator urged the parties to the Karabakh conflict to find a compromise solution.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amending laws on state emblem, anthem and flag
- 26.09.2017Sentence of some life-term prisoners can be replaced by 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Issue of Lachin district executive authority official supporting Kurdish referendum is under investigation - UPDATED
- 26.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by president of Montenegrin Supreme Court
- 25.09.2017Date, agenda of first meeting of Azerbaijani parliament’s autumn session announced
- 25.09.2017OSCE PA special representative meets with Azerbaijani IDPs
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan applying new rules for conditional release of inmates serving life sentences
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan may reintroduce previously abrogated punishment
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Salyan district for visit
- 24.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Neftchala district for visit
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia