First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva delivered a speech at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani parliament [Milli Majlis] on March 7.
Mrs. Aliyeva announced that she is ceasing to act as an MP due to her appointment to a new post upon the order signed by Azerbaijani President Iham Aliyev on February 21, 2017, an APA correspondent reported from the parliament.
“I’ve been a member of parliament for more than ten years. It was great honor for me to be a member of the Azerbaijani parliament during these years,” noted Mehriban Aliyeva.
The MPs also have a great role in Azerbaijan’s formation as an influential state during the years of its independence, she added.
Mrs. Aliyeva noted that the legal basis of reforms ongoing in Azerbaijan is comprised of the bills, which have been prepared through joint work of parliament members and in line with modern realities and challenges.
“Dear colleagues, I’ve seen a pleasant atmosphere dominating here for the whole period I’ve been acting as a parliamentarian. Of course, Parliamentary Speaker Ogtay Asadov has had a big role in the creation of such an atmosphere,” she said.
Mehriban Aliyeva also briefed the parliament about the work carried out since 2005 in the Khazar district, from where her candidacy as MP was nominated.
Mrs. Aliyeva went on to say that she came up with numerous proposals and initiatives during her membership of parliament.
“Holding on to the ideas of humanism and justice, the initiative I made for the approval of the amnesty acts I put proposed in the years 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2016 drew support from my colleagues,” she said.
She pointed out that a total of 39,887 prisoners have been released thanks to the application of the amnesty acts.
“I’d like to express my gratitude to each one of those MPs who supported the amnesty acts which freed tens of thousands of prisoners. I’m hopeful that such initiatives will continue to be put forward by our MPs and turn into a tradition,” said the first-vice president.
“Furthermore, in order to help form healthy families and reduce the risks in this area, I came up with another initiative in 2014 as to a compulsory premarital examination.
After long discussions with my colleagues, a bill making amendments to the Family Code was adopted,” she added.
The first vice-president pointed out that on her initiatives, a number of events were held around the world in order for Azerbaijan to gain recognition as a multinational, tolerant and multi-confessional country.
Mrs. Aliyeva said that in all her speeches she delivered to the international community the realities about the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh, an integral part of Azerbaijan, and seven surrounding districts by Armenia, and about the fact that more than one million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons.
“The publications prepared by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation on the Khojaly genocide have been spread all over the world. I assess my 12-year activity in the parliament as a great school of life. The experience I gained as an MP is invaluable,” she said.
“Regardless of my position and activity, I have always relied on simple principles. Honest, dignity, compassion, benevolence, justice and mutual respect are the highest and most beautiful features endowed by God to people. In this high tribune, I’d like to assure all who believe in me that that I will give priority to moral values in my further activity as well. I will do my utmost for the protection of Azerbaijan’s independence and its comprehensive development,” she added.
The first vice-president expressed gratitude for her compatriots for their congratulations.
“Every letter, every congratulation I receive from ordinary people is very valuable for me. I express my deep gratitude to all for their kind words and support,” she said.
Mrs. Aliyeva also congratulated her female colleagues and all Azerbaijani women on the occasion of the forthcoming International Women's Day - March 8.
“I wish each deputy robust health, happiness and success in their work. I hope that the cooperation will continue in the future too,” added the first vice-president.
Related news releases
- 24.10.2017Turkish soldier martyred in PKK attack
- 22.10.2017Gunmen kill 13 Niger gendarmes in attack near Mali border
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments on humanization of penalties
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani MPs voice protest over PACE’s anti-Azerbaijan resolutions
- 20.10.2017MP Seyidov: Attempts being made to drive Azerbaijan out of Council of Europe - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament holds plenary meeting
- 19.10.2017Musavat Party postpones rally scheduled for Oct. 21
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan considers fining officials failing to control execution of public works and administrative penalties
- 19.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office denies Musavat Party request for rally
- 19.10.2017EU intends to help Azerbaijan increase its economic and export potential
- 18.10.2017Shaitdin Aliyev and Nizami Nadirov awarded Order "For Service to the Motherland"
- 18.10.2017Unauthorized rally in Baku to be prevented, police says
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan marks 26th anniversary of state independence
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijani president appoints new chairs and judges to first instance courts
- 14.10.2017Alexander Lukashenko: Belarus supports settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict within territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Netanyahu lauds Trump's Iran turn, sees chance to change nuclear deal
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani president approves regulations of Cabinet of Ministers Office
- 10.10.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva pays respect to prominent Orientalist Aida Imanguliyeva
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft law on humanization of penalties on Oct. 20
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 going to be a year of serious economic reforms in Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2017About 1200 people join rally in Baku - police - UPDATED
- 06.10.2017First Vice-President of Azerbaijan: "Our enemy resorts to all kinds of dirty deeds"
- 05.10.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Those killed in Las Vegas were victims of political corruption
- 02.10.2017Iraqi gov’t should decide upon sending Azerbaijani children home, diplomat says
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani MP: Some forces are worried about citizens’ support for president
- 02.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan – an island of stability and development
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani parliament opens autumn session
- 30.09.2017Zakir Garalov: Four Turkish citizens on int’l wanted list over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 30.09.2017Azerbaijan says investigation into espionage case will be completed by year-end
- 30.09.2017Blast hits Afghan capital near Shi'ite mosque, killing at least one
- 29.09.2017Karabakh Liberation Organization stages rally outside UN Baku Office in support of Iraq’s territorial integrity
- 29.09.2017Chairman of Azerbaijani Supreme Court’s Board for Criminal Cases criticizes some judges
- 29.09.2017State and government officials attend farewell ceremony for Lotfi Zadeh
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins public hearings on amendments proposed by president to Criminal Code
- 28.09.2017Christian missionaries engage dangerous activity in Azerbaijan – MP
- 27.09.2017Azerbaijan replacing arrests for some crimes with financial sanctions
- 27.09.2017ADB to allocate nearly $800 mln to Azerbaijan
- 26.09.2017Ali Huseynli: Analyses show that unfounded life imprisonment is prevalent
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan intends to join Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers