First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva delivered a speech at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani parliament [Milli Majlis] on March 7.
Mrs. Aliyeva announced that she is ceasing to act as an MP due to her appointment to a new post upon the order signed by Azerbaijani President Iham Aliyev on February 21, 2017, an APA correspondent reported from the parliament.
“I’ve been a member of parliament for more than ten years. It was great honor for me to be a member of the Azerbaijani parliament during these years,” noted Mehriban Aliyeva.
The MPs also have a great role in Azerbaijan’s formation as an influential state during the years of its independence, she added.
Mrs. Aliyeva noted that the legal basis of reforms ongoing in Azerbaijan is comprised of the bills, which have been prepared through joint work of parliament members and in line with modern realities and challenges.
“Dear colleagues, I’ve seen a pleasant atmosphere dominating here for the whole period I’ve been acting as a parliamentarian. Of course, Parliamentary Speaker Ogtay Asadov has had a big role in the creation of such an atmosphere,” she said.
Mehriban Aliyeva also briefed the parliament about the work carried out since 2005 in the Khazar district, from where her candidacy as MP was nominated.
Mrs. Aliyeva went on to say that she came up with numerous proposals and initiatives during her membership of parliament.
“Holding on to the ideas of humanism and justice, the initiative I made for the approval of the amnesty acts I put proposed in the years 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2016 drew support from my colleagues,” she said.
She pointed out that a total of 39,887 prisoners have been released thanks to the application of the amnesty acts.
“I’d like to express my gratitude to each one of those MPs who supported the amnesty acts which freed tens of thousands of prisoners. I’m hopeful that such initiatives will continue to be put forward by our MPs and turn into a tradition,” said the first-vice president.
“Furthermore, in order to help form healthy families and reduce the risks in this area, I came up with another initiative in 2014 as to a compulsory premarital examination.
After long discussions with my colleagues, a bill making amendments to the Family Code was adopted,” she added.
The first vice-president pointed out that on her initiatives, a number of events were held around the world in order for Azerbaijan to gain recognition as a multinational, tolerant and multi-confessional country.
Mrs. Aliyeva said that in all her speeches she delivered to the international community the realities about the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh, an integral part of Azerbaijan, and seven surrounding districts by Armenia, and about the fact that more than one million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons.
“The publications prepared by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation on the Khojaly genocide have been spread all over the world. I assess my 12-year activity in the parliament as a great school of life. The experience I gained as an MP is invaluable,” she said.
“Regardless of my position and activity, I have always relied on simple principles. Honest, dignity, compassion, benevolence, justice and mutual respect are the highest and most beautiful features endowed by God to people. In this high tribune, I’d like to assure all who believe in me that that I will give priority to moral values in my further activity as well. I will do my utmost for the protection of Azerbaijan’s independence and its comprehensive development,” she added.
The first vice-president expressed gratitude for her compatriots for their congratulations.
“Every letter, every congratulation I receive from ordinary people is very valuable for me. I express my deep gratitude to all for their kind words and support,” she said.
Mrs. Aliyeva also congratulated her female colleagues and all Azerbaijani women on the occasion of the forthcoming International Women's Day - March 8.
“I wish each deputy robust health, happiness and success in their work. I hope that the cooperation will continue in the future too,” added the first vice-president.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers