First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva delivered a speech at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani parliament [Milli Majlis] on March 7.
Mrs. Aliyeva announced that she is ceasing to act as an MP due to her appointment to a new post upon the order signed by Azerbaijani President Iham Aliyev on February 21, 2017, an APA correspondent reported from the parliament.
“I’ve been a member of parliament for more than ten years. It was great honor for me to be a member of the Azerbaijani parliament during these years,” noted Mehriban Aliyeva.
The MPs also have a great role in Azerbaijan’s formation as an influential state during the years of its independence, she added.
Mrs. Aliyeva noted that the legal basis of reforms ongoing in Azerbaijan is comprised of the bills, which have been prepared through joint work of parliament members and in line with modern realities and challenges.
“Dear colleagues, I’ve seen a pleasant atmosphere dominating here for the whole period I’ve been acting as a parliamentarian. Of course, Parliamentary Speaker Ogtay Asadov has had a big role in the creation of such an atmosphere,” she said.
Mehriban Aliyeva also briefed the parliament about the work carried out since 2005 in the Khazar district, from where her candidacy as MP was nominated.
Mrs. Aliyeva went on to say that she came up with numerous proposals and initiatives during her membership of parliament.
“Holding on to the ideas of humanism and justice, the initiative I made for the approval of the amnesty acts I put proposed in the years 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2016 drew support from my colleagues,” she said.
She pointed out that a total of 39,887 prisoners have been released thanks to the application of the amnesty acts.
“I’d like to express my gratitude to each one of those MPs who supported the amnesty acts which freed tens of thousands of prisoners. I’m hopeful that such initiatives will continue to be put forward by our MPs and turn into a tradition,” said the first-vice president.
“Furthermore, in order to help form healthy families and reduce the risks in this area, I came up with another initiative in 2014 as to a compulsory premarital examination.
After long discussions with my colleagues, a bill making amendments to the Family Code was adopted,” she added.
The first vice-president pointed out that on her initiatives, a number of events were held around the world in order for Azerbaijan to gain recognition as a multinational, tolerant and multi-confessional country.
Mrs. Aliyeva said that in all her speeches she delivered to the international community the realities about the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh, an integral part of Azerbaijan, and seven surrounding districts by Armenia, and about the fact that more than one million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons.
“The publications prepared by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation on the Khojaly genocide have been spread all over the world. I assess my 12-year activity in the parliament as a great school of life. The experience I gained as an MP is invaluable,” she said.
“Regardless of my position and activity, I have always relied on simple principles. Honest, dignity, compassion, benevolence, justice and mutual respect are the highest and most beautiful features endowed by God to people. In this high tribune, I’d like to assure all who believe in me that that I will give priority to moral values in my further activity as well. I will do my utmost for the protection of Azerbaijan’s independence and its comprehensive development,” she added.
The first vice-president expressed gratitude for her compatriots for their congratulations.
“Every letter, every congratulation I receive from ordinary people is very valuable for me. I express my deep gratitude to all for their kind words and support,” she said.
Mrs. Aliyeva also congratulated her female colleagues and all Azerbaijani women on the occasion of the forthcoming International Women's Day - March 8.
“I wish each deputy robust health, happiness and success in their work. I hope that the cooperation will continue in the future too,” added the first vice-president.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017Montenegrin President thanks US Senate for ratifying NATO accession
- 28.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Today we show example of how to govern a country
- 28.03.2017Four militants killed in raid in NE Bangladesh, death toll rises to 10
- 27.03.2017Deputy Chief of Azerbaijani Foreign Intelligence Service promoted to higher military rank of Major General
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 23.02.2017Nakhchivan’s Supreme Assembly approves constitutional amendments
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Nothing can hinder realization of Southern Gas Corridor
- 22.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: Despite being a small country, Azerbaijan is doing huge work
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers