First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva delivered a speech at a plenary session of the Azerbaijani parliament [Milli Majlis] on March 7.
Mrs. Aliyeva announced that she is ceasing to act as an MP due to her appointment to a new post upon the order signed by Azerbaijani President Iham Aliyev on February 21, 2017, an APA correspondent reported from the parliament.
“I’ve been a member of parliament for more than ten years. It was great honor for me to be a member of the Azerbaijani parliament during these years,” noted Mehriban Aliyeva.
The MPs also have a great role in Azerbaijan’s formation as an influential state during the years of its independence, she added.
Mrs. Aliyeva noted that the legal basis of reforms ongoing in Azerbaijan is comprised of the bills, which have been prepared through joint work of parliament members and in line with modern realities and challenges.
“Dear colleagues, I’ve seen a pleasant atmosphere dominating here for the whole period I’ve been acting as a parliamentarian. Of course, Parliamentary Speaker Ogtay Asadov has had a big role in the creation of such an atmosphere,” she said.
Mehriban Aliyeva also briefed the parliament about the work carried out since 2005 in the Khazar district, from where her candidacy as MP was nominated.
Mrs. Aliyeva went on to say that she came up with numerous proposals and initiatives during her membership of parliament.
“Holding on to the ideas of humanism and justice, the initiative I made for the approval of the amnesty acts I put proposed in the years 2007, 2009, 2013, and 2016 drew support from my colleagues,” she said.
She pointed out that a total of 39,887 prisoners have been released thanks to the application of the amnesty acts.
“I’d like to express my gratitude to each one of those MPs who supported the amnesty acts which freed tens of thousands of prisoners. I’m hopeful that such initiatives will continue to be put forward by our MPs and turn into a tradition,” said the first-vice president.
“Furthermore, in order to help form healthy families and reduce the risks in this area, I came up with another initiative in 2014 as to a compulsory premarital examination.
After long discussions with my colleagues, a bill making amendments to the Family Code was adopted,” she added.
The first vice-president pointed out that on her initiatives, a number of events were held around the world in order for Azerbaijan to gain recognition as a multinational, tolerant and multi-confessional country.
Mrs. Aliyeva said that in all her speeches she delivered to the international community the realities about the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh, an integral part of Azerbaijan, and seven surrounding districts by Armenia, and about the fact that more than one million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced persons.
“The publications prepared by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation on the Khojaly genocide have been spread all over the world. I assess my 12-year activity in the parliament as a great school of life. The experience I gained as an MP is invaluable,” she said.
“Regardless of my position and activity, I have always relied on simple principles. Honest, dignity, compassion, benevolence, justice and mutual respect are the highest and most beautiful features endowed by God to people. In this high tribune, I’d like to assure all who believe in me that that I will give priority to moral values in my further activity as well. I will do my utmost for the protection of Azerbaijan’s independence and its comprehensive development,” she added.
The first vice-president expressed gratitude for her compatriots for their congratulations.
“Every letter, every congratulation I receive from ordinary people is very valuable for me. I express my deep gratitude to all for their kind words and support,” she said.
Mrs. Aliyeva also congratulated her female colleagues and all Azerbaijani women on the occasion of the forthcoming International Women's Day - March 8.
“I wish each deputy robust health, happiness and success in their work. I hope that the cooperation will continue in the future too,” added the first vice-president.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Shamkir district for visit
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Gadabay district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Samukh district for visit
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of renovated orphanage-kindergarten in Goygol
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Goygol district for visit
- 18.08.2017Former heads of state and government to attend Global Young Leaders Forum in Baku
- 11.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Ramil Guliyev, World Athletics Champion
- 11.08.2017Car bomb blast in Somali capital kills 1
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president attends opening of new roads in former “Sovetski”
- 08.08.2017President signs order on application of law "On the rules of conduct of the members of the Milli Majlis"
- 03.08.2017President: ‘Self-employment program should be prevalent in Azerbaijan’
- 03.08.2017Azerbaijani President arrives in Balakan district
- 31.07.2017Chingiz Ganizade awarded Shohrat Order
- 31.07.2017Interior Ministry issues statement about special operation conducted in Hajigabul
- 26.07.2017President Aliyev awards Ali Gojayev with order
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan sets rules for foreign donors giving grants to public legal entities
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister to visit Hungary
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: We managed to protect Azerbaijan from possible risks
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani presidents attends groundbreaking ceremony of another building for journalists
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: All freedoms, including freedom of speech ensured in Azerbaijan
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijan, EU hold next round of talks on new deal
- 18.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 12 illegal immigrants
- 14.07.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to first anniversary of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey
- 14.07.2017Elmira Suleymanova awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 13.07.2017Suleyman Ismayilov awarded “Shohrat” Order
- 12.07.2017Azerbaijani president warns public servants
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan to mark Shovkat Mammadova’s 120th jubilee
- 11.07.2017Azerbaijan detains 39 trespassers in June
- 11.07.2017MP: Serious structural reforms expected in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek delegation
- 10.07.2017Vidadi Zeynalov reimburses another 2 million 25 thousand manat for damage caused to the state
- 08.07.20176,094 crimes recorded in Baku during 1H 2017
- 07.07.2017Foreign Ministry officials pay respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 06.07.2017“Behind the murder of baby Zahra stands the indifference of international community and their support to aggressor Armenia”
- 06.07.2017Ramiz Mehdiyev: Latest bloody crime in Azerbaijan’s Fuzuli once again exposed terrorist essence of Armenia’s military-political regime
- 05.07.2017German MP: The civil population must not be made the main victim of violent confrontations.
- 04.07.2017How openDemocracy.net ignores alternative view point? – POSITION
- 04.07.2017US, Russian diplomats discuss upcoming Trump-Putin meeting - State Dept.
- 01.07.2017Group of Sovetsky residents sends letter to president about demolition of Haji Javad mosque
- 01.07.2017Azerbaijani president punishes official arbitrarily demolished Haji Javad mosque
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers