Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan
Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan upon President Ilham Aliyev’s order.
Mehriban Aliyeva graduated from secondary public school No. 23 in Baku in 1982 with a gold medal, and later entered the Nariman Narimanov Azerbaijan State Medical University. She continued her studies at the Sechenov Moscow Medical Academy (currently the I.M.Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University), from where she graduated with an honorary diploma in 1988. She worked at the Moscow Scientific Research Institute for Eye Diseases under leadership of academician Krasnov in 1988-1992.
Since 1995, Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president at the Friends of the Azerbaijani Culture Foundation, created upon her initiative. In 1996, Mehriban Aliyeva founded the 'Azerbaijan - Irs' magazine, published in three languages (Azerbaijani, Russian, and English) for a wider promotion of Azerbaijani culture.
Mehriban Aliyeva has been heading the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since the very date of its establishment on May 10, 2004. The foundation's goal is to study and preserve the rich heritage of the National Leader of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, to bring up new generations in the spirit of his ideas of national statehood. The priority directions of the foundation are education, health, culture and social sphere. This covers assistance to children devoid of parents, recreation and improving logistics base of orphanages and boarding schools.
She was also awarded the title of ‘Woman of the Year’ in 2005 according to the social poll held in Azerbaijan. On June 9, 2005, the first lady of Azerbaijan was awarded the order of the ‘Ruby Cross’ from the International Charitable Foundation ‘Maecenas of the Century’ for her public support and charity activities, considerable contribution to the support of educational and cultural institutions and strengthening friendships between the peoples of Russia and Azerbaijan.
Mehriban Aliyeva received a PhD in Philosophy in 2005. On November 24, 2006, she was conferred with the title of ISESCO (Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) Goodwill Ambassador for extensive and selfless activity in various fields, including intercultural dialogue, attention to children in need of special care and support for improving living conditions, great support for education and projects being realized in the Islamic world.
The World Health Organization (WHO) awarded Mehriban Aliyeva for her exceptional services in protecting and strengthening the health of mother, child and family. This was made upon a unanimous decision of the 120th session of the WHO executive committee in Geneva on January 29, 2007.
Mehriban Aliyeva was honored with ‘Gold Heart’ international award in 2007 for her charitable activities and the outstanding achievements in services to the highest ideals of humanity.
The first lady was awarded the ‘Grand Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland’ on September 14, 2009. She received this Order for her contribution to development of friendly ties between Azerbaijan and Poland.
Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the ‘Order of Legion of Honor’ by French president’s order dated February 10, 2010.
She was honored with the title of Honorary Professor of Russian Federation’s I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University on February 13, 2012.
The Humanitarian Cooperation Council (HCC) of CIS member states and the CIS Interstate Humanitarian Cooperation Foundation (IHCF) presented Mehriban Aliyeva the ‘Stars of the Commonwealth’ Interstate Prize on April 13, 2012.
Mehriban Aliyeva was elected the deputy chairperson of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party at the fifth meeting of the party on June 7, 2013.
Mehriban Aliyeva was honored with Pakistani ‘Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Women Excellence Award 2013’ on December 27, 2013.
The first lady was awarded an honorary prize of the Turkish-German Friendship Federation on May 12, 2014 for her contributions to dialogue between civilizations, as well as for the services towards promotion of the Turkic world in Germany and development of relations between Azerbaijan and Germany.
Azerbaijan’s first lady received the Olympic Excellence award of the International Olympic Academy in Athens on June 16, 2014. She also chaired the Baku 2015 European Games Organizing Committee.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
- 21.02.2017At least five killed in protests over Guinea teachers' strike
- 20.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev’s messages from Munich - Commentary
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijani PM to present government’s annual report to parliament in March