Mehriban Aliyeva appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan
Mehriban Aliyeva has been appointed first vice-president of Azerbaijan upon President Ilham Aliyev’s order.
Mehriban Aliyeva graduated from secondary public school No. 23 in Baku in 1982 with a gold medal, and later entered the Nariman Narimanov Azerbaijan State Medical University. She continued her studies at the Sechenov Moscow Medical Academy (currently the I.M.Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University), from where she graduated with an honorary diploma in 1988. She worked at the Moscow Scientific Research Institute for Eye Diseases under leadership of academician Krasnov in 1988-1992.
Since 1995, Mehriban Aliyeva has been the president at the Friends of the Azerbaijani Culture Foundation, created upon her initiative. In 1996, Mehriban Aliyeva founded the 'Azerbaijan - Irs' magazine, published in three languages (Azerbaijani, Russian, and English) for a wider promotion of Azerbaijani culture.
Mehriban Aliyeva has been heading the Heydar Aliyev Foundation since the very date of its establishment on May 10, 2004. The foundation's goal is to study and preserve the rich heritage of the National Leader of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, to bring up new generations in the spirit of his ideas of national statehood. The priority directions of the foundation are education, health, culture and social sphere. This covers assistance to children devoid of parents, recreation and improving logistics base of orphanages and boarding schools.
She was also awarded the title of ‘Woman of the Year’ in 2005 according to the social poll held in Azerbaijan. On June 9, 2005, the first lady of Azerbaijan was awarded the order of the ‘Ruby Cross’ from the International Charitable Foundation ‘Maecenas of the Century’ for her public support and charity activities, considerable contribution to the support of educational and cultural institutions and strengthening friendships between the peoples of Russia and Azerbaijan.
Mehriban Aliyeva received a PhD in Philosophy in 2005. On November 24, 2006, she was conferred with the title of ISESCO (Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) Goodwill Ambassador for extensive and selfless activity in various fields, including intercultural dialogue, attention to children in need of special care and support for improving living conditions, great support for education and projects being realized in the Islamic world.
The World Health Organization (WHO) awarded Mehriban Aliyeva for her exceptional services in protecting and strengthening the health of mother, child and family. This was made upon a unanimous decision of the 120th session of the WHO executive committee in Geneva on January 29, 2007.
Mehriban Aliyeva was honored with ‘Gold Heart’ international award in 2007 for her charitable activities and the outstanding achievements in services to the highest ideals of humanity.
The first lady was awarded the ‘Grand Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland’ on September 14, 2009. She received this Order for her contribution to development of friendly ties between Azerbaijan and Poland.
Mehriban Aliyeva was awarded the ‘Order of Legion of Honor’ by French president’s order dated February 10, 2010.
She was honored with the title of Honorary Professor of Russian Federation’s I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University on February 13, 2012.
The Humanitarian Cooperation Council (HCC) of CIS member states and the CIS Interstate Humanitarian Cooperation Foundation (IHCF) presented Mehriban Aliyeva the ‘Stars of the Commonwealth’ Interstate Prize on April 13, 2012.
Mehriban Aliyeva was elected the deputy chairperson of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party at the fifth meeting of the party on June 7, 2013.
Mehriban Aliyeva was honored with Pakistani ‘Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Women Excellence Award 2013’ on December 27, 2013.
The first lady was awarded an honorary prize of the Turkish-German Friendship Federation on May 12, 2014 for her contributions to dialogue between civilizations, as well as for the services towards promotion of the Turkic world in Germany and development of relations between Azerbaijan and Germany.
Azerbaijan’s first lady received the Olympic Excellence award of the International Olympic Academy in Athens on June 16, 2014. She also chaired the Baku 2015 European Games Organizing Committee.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Deputy PM calls for end to injustice against Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 10.04.2017Israeli envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement should be based on Minsk Group
- 08.04.2017Siyavush Novruzov: Relevant authorities investigating Ali Karimli’s migrant trade issue
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC warns political parties over failure to submit financial reports
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves annual report by National Coordinator for combating human trafficking
- 07.04.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 06.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan has never been as strong in history as it is now"
- 21.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Azerbaijani Security Council's meeting
- 21.02.2017What powers does Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President have?
- 21.02.2017President: Mehriban Aliyeva has been playing important role in Azerbaijan’s socio-political life for years
- 21.02.2017At least five killed in protests over Guinea teachers' strike
- 20.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev’s messages from Munich - Commentary
- 20.02.2017Azerbaijani PM to present government’s annual report to parliament in March