IS militants besiege airbase near Syria's Palmyra
Islamic State (IS) militants besieged a Syrian airbase by the city of Palmyra on Monday, two days after lambasting the ancient city for the second time, reported a monitor group, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Battles erupted on Monday between the Syrian army and IS militants in the vicinity of the T4 airbase, located in the eastern countryside of Homs, near the ancient city of Palmyra, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The UK-based watchdog group added that IS militants succeeded in closing in on the airbase, two days after entering Palmyra, controlling both residential and historic city areas.
It added that IS militants are trying to storm the airbase.
Meanwhile, Syrian warplanes continue to pound IS posts in Palmyra, after withdrawing from the city following a considerable offensive by IS militants.
After hundreds of fighters joined IS militants upon command to take over Palmyra, IS militants launched their offensive against the city on Thursday, finally succeeding on Sunday.
The Syrian army captured Palmyra on March 27, 2016, a year after losing it to IS militants.
Palmyra contains the monumental ruins of a great city that once was one of the most important cultural centers of the ancient world.
The city's significance to IS militants is because it connects areas under the group's control in the eastern province of Deir al-Zour with areas under its control in the eastern countryside of the central province of Homs.
The recapture of Palmyra is also important as IS militants in Iraq have recently begun entering Syria following substantial losses in battles against the Iraqi army and the U.S.-led anti-terrorism coalition.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017National Council holds rally in Baku - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan approves customs cooperation protocol with Kyrgyzstan
- 22.09.2017Structural reforms in Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Minister completed
- 22.09.2017Armenian MP: 'We have no security issues in Baku' - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs attending Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Chief of State Border Service awarded “Flag of Azerbaijan” Order
- 20.09.2017Baku Mayor’s Office approves National Council request for rally
- 19.09.2017MP Rafael Huseynov protests against destruction of statues to Lenin, Stalin and “26 Baku commissars”
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan to grant status of state body to Judicial-Legal Council
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Jewish community
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani president: Future development to be defined by knowledge, rather than natural resources
- 15.09.201799 years pass since liberation of Baku from bolshevik-dashnak occupation
- 14.09.2017Moscow is ‘neither a lawyer nor a prosecutor’ in Karabakh settlement: Russian senator
- 14.09.2017BP CEO awarded “Dostlug” Order
- 12.09.2017Fuad Alasgarov: Lapshin is free to choose where to go
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan continues investigation into case of persons accused of spying for Armenia
- 12.09.2017Turkmenistan prevents terror attack on ferry set to sail from Turkmenbashi to Baku
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan strips 151 people of citizenship for fighting for terrorist organizations
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Unethical remarks by Akif Ali about Lotfi Zadeh unacceptable
- 11.09.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehman Aliyev appealed to president
- 11.09.2017Lapshin makes suicide attempt in prison
- 08.09.2017Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief to get new powers
- 06.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs decree on ensuring the activities of the State Agency for Compulsory Medical Insurance
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani MP: Soros and Armenians share common terrorist features
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 02.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan lives at its own expense
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Lankaran district for visit
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Jalilabad district for visit
- 02.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins autumn session
- 29.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends Eid al-Adha congratulations to the nation
- 29.08.2017Pakistan summons Indian envoy over mortar incident
- 28.08.2017Mehman Aliyev files appeal against court decision
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 25.08.2017New Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR appointed
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Qarabag victory is an important event in promotion of Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FC Qarabag squad
- 24.08.2017FC Qarabag return home after historic success
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani Parliament’s plenary meeting begins
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president pays tribute to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2016Thirteen years pass since Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev died
- 11.12.2016Trump to nominate Exxon CEO to be top diplomat: