IS militants besiege airbase near Syria's Palmyra
Islamic State (IS) militants besieged a Syrian airbase by the city of Palmyra on Monday, two days after lambasting the ancient city for the second time, reported a monitor group, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Battles erupted on Monday between the Syrian army and IS militants in the vicinity of the T4 airbase, located in the eastern countryside of Homs, near the ancient city of Palmyra, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The UK-based watchdog group added that IS militants succeeded in closing in on the airbase, two days after entering Palmyra, controlling both residential and historic city areas.
It added that IS militants are trying to storm the airbase.
Meanwhile, Syrian warplanes continue to pound IS posts in Palmyra, after withdrawing from the city following a considerable offensive by IS militants.
After hundreds of fighters joined IS militants upon command to take over Palmyra, IS militants launched their offensive against the city on Thursday, finally succeeding on Sunday.
The Syrian army captured Palmyra on March 27, 2016, a year after losing it to IS militants.
Palmyra contains the monumental ruins of a great city that once was one of the most important cultural centers of the ancient world.
The city's significance to IS militants is because it connects areas under the group's control in the eastern province of Deir al-Zour with areas under its control in the eastern countryside of the central province of Homs.
The recapture of Palmyra is also important as IS militants in Iraq have recently begun entering Syria following substantial losses in battles against the Iraqi army and the U.S.-led anti-terrorism coalition.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018President of ExxonMobil congratulated Ilham Aliyev
- 26.04.2018OSCE Secretary-General congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Dates set for next plenary meetings of Azerbaijani parliament
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani Presidential Administration head urges end to corruption in State Migration Service
- 24.04.2018New head of Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Refugees and IDPs introduced to staff
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament ratifies law on insolvency
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves amendments to Constitution of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 24.04.2018Suspects in Toronto van attack identified
- 23.04.2018Ministers and chairmen of committees appointed to the new government of Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018Chairman of Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency appointed
- 23.04.2018New appointments made for vacant posts in Cabinet of Ministers - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Ali Hasanov: US State Department's attitude to situation in Azerbaijan is biased as always
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: 44 out of 55 political parties submitted annual financial reports
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry confirms detention of ex-MP Huseyn Abdullayev
- 21.04.2018Rovshan Rzayev appointed head of State Committee for Refugees and IDPs
- 21.04.2018Samir Nuriyev to head Azerbaijan’s State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture
- 21.04.2018Inam Karimov appointed Azerbaijan’s minister of agriculture
- 21.04.2018No appointments for some posts in new gov’t, some officials remain in place - LIST
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov relieved of his duties Assistant to the Azerbaijani President for Foreign Policy Issues – head of department
- 21.04.2018Abid Sharifov, Elchin Afandiyev, Ismat Abasov relieved of their duties
- 21.04.2018Sahil Babayev named Azerbaijan’s new minister of labor and social protection of population
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev approves new composition of Cabinet of Ministers
- 21.04.2018Hajibala Abutalibov relieved of his duties as Baku mayor
- 21.04.2018Organizations which fail to abide by rules during emergencies to be closed until the situation ends
- 21.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints Novruz Mammadov as PM
- 21.04.2018Biography of Azerbaijan’s new Prime Minister Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov: I will do my best to fulfill tasks set by Azerbaijani president
- 21.04.2018Novruz Mammadov expresses gratitude to Azerbaijani president for confidence in him
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM - UPDATED
- 21.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament considering Novruz Mammadov’s candidacy as new PM
- 21.04.2018President Aliyev expresses gratitude to Artur Rasizade for his activity as PM
- 21.04.2018President of the Council of State of the Republic of Cuba congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 21.04.2018Total CEO congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism divided into two structures
- 20.04.2018Ali Hasanov awarded Order "For Service to Motherland"
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to consider approval of new PM on April 21 - UPDATED
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 13.12.2016Yashar Mammadov awarded 2nd grade order “For Service to the Motherland”
- 16.12.2016Azerbaijani Parliament’s plenary meeting begins
- 16.12.2016Tourist arrivals from Iran to Azerbaijan up by 58%
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president pays tribute to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 12.12.2016Thirteen years pass since Azerbaijani national leader Heydar Aliyev died
- 11.12.2016Trump to nominate Exxon CEO to be top diplomat: