Iraqi forces make gains against Islamic State in Mosul
Iraqi special forces stormed the Mosul University complex in the city's northeast on Friday and pushed Islamic State back to reach two further bridges across the Tigris river, the military said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The militants were fighting back at Mosul University, which they seized when they took over the city in 2014. A Reuters reporter witnessed heavy clashes inside the campus.
Iraqi forces have recaptured most districts in eastern Mosul in nearly three months of a U.S.-backed offensive, which accelerated at the turn of the year with new tactics and better coordination.
They aim to take full control of the eastern bank of the Tigris river, which bisects Mosul from north to south, before launching attacks on the west, still fully in Islamic State hands.
Driving the ultra-hardline Islamist group out of its Mosul stronghold will probably spell the end for the Iraqi side of the caliphate it has declared, stretching into Syria.
By late on Friday, Iraqi elite forces had taken control of part of the university complex and reached two more of the five bridges that link east and west Mosul, Sabah al-Numan, spokesman for the counter-terrorism service (CTS) said.
"God willing, in a very short while we will announce the clearing of the entire left bank ... there are not many areas left (under IS control) on this bank," he told state television.
Iraqi forces have now reached Mosul's three southernmost bridges, having battled their way to the Fourth Bridge several days ago.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan to deploy 12,000 police during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 21.04.2017National Council postpones rally
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fine for illegal child adoption
- 20.04.2017Draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs to be discussed at parliament’s plenary session
- 20.04.2017U.S. considers restoring Pyongyang to terror sponsor list: Tillerson
- 19.04.2017Content of new draft code of conduct for Azerbaijani MPs revealed
- 19.04.2017Allahshukur Pashazade to visit Georgia
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan increasing fines for interference with voting
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss new draft code of conduct for MPs
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan to increase fines for slander and insult
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan to double maximum fine term for crime
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ: If EITI puts end to dual standards, Azerbaijan may consider membership issue
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: There is good investment climate in Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s export potential will continue to grow
- 17.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be very successful for Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference of non-oil exporters
- 17.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Aran Regional Development Center in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev visited statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Yevlakh
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Yevlakh district
- 14.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Orthodox Christian community
- 13.04.2017Ali Hasanov: Protesting reconstruction of Sovetsky is not the best example of religious devotion
- 13.04.2017Family members of Ordukhan Teymurkhan, who is living in Netherlands, appeal to Azerbaijani president
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijani president orders to establish special commission to investigate situation around Haji Javad Mosque
- 13.04.2017Trump: US 'not getting along with Russia at all'
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of non-smoking places
- 11.04.2017Turkey deported Jalilov a few months before St. Petersburg terrorist attack
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani oil price rises 1.5%
- 11.04.2017State Energy Service established in Nakhchivan.
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of some Azerbaijani embassies abroad – report
- 10.04.2017Shortcomings revealed in activities of Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry – report
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan achieved positive results in first quarter of 2017
- 10.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: 2017 will be successful year for Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017Deputy PM calls for end to injustice against Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs Cabinet of Ministers meeting
- 10.04.2017Israeli envoy: Karabakh conflict settlement should be based on Minsk Group
- 08.04.2017Siyavush Novruzov: Relevant authorities investigating Ali Karimli’s migrant trade issue
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC warns political parties over failure to submit financial reports
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves annual report by National Coordinator for combating human trafficking
- 07.04.2017Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 06.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan has never been as strong in history as it is now"
- 17.01.2017ISESCO condemns ceasefire violations by Armenia in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 19.01.2017Azerbaijani MPs complains about state agencies
- 19.01.2017Bloody clothes of 20 January martyrs still remain: CMO
- 13.01.2017Azerbaijan preparing code of ethics for MPs
- 12.01.2017Azerbaijan preparing bill on crimes of genocide
- 12.01.2017PACE co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan