President: Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would’ve been impossible without first State Program
Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would have been impossible if the first State Program had not been adopted, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The first and second programs on the development of districts have been successfully implemented, President Aliyev said addressing a conference dedicated to the results of third year implementation of "The State Program on socio-economic development of Azerbaijani districts in 2014-2018" in Baku Jan. 30.
“I’m confident that the third State Program will also be carried out successfully,” the president said, calling the first State Program a ‘historical step’.
“Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would have been impossible if the first State Program had not been accepted,” President Aliyev said. “All of our cities have been renovated. Major infrastructure projects have been realized, which gives impetus to dynamic development in Azerbaijan. The first stage had more to do with infrastructure projects, which was reasonable.”
“In the first stage, we were unable to ensure our energy security. The Baku-Tbilisi-Jeyhan oil pipeline was still under construction. We were buying gas from abroad,” the head of state said noting that the first goal was to ensure our energy independence.
“Of the 35 existing electric stations, 26 have been built in the country since 2004 as part of the State Program. At the time, gasification was 51% in Azerbaijan, and in districts there was almost no gasification. Today gasification is 91%,” he added.
Speaking of the infrastructure projects, the president said there can not be investment or development in a country that has no highway infrastructure. “The construction of highway infrastructure brings together large manpower. The aim is to have quality highways connecting cities and villages,” he said.
The head of state recalled that four reservoirs have been built in the country over the past four years.
“I have to mention the Takhtakorpu, Shamkirchay, and Tovuzchay reservoirs,” the president said. “We import a significant amount of water resources from abroad. Thus we need to create our own water resources, which required massive investment. However, the main part of the work has been accomplished.”
President Aliyev pointed out that the main infrastructure projects have been realized since the first State Program.
“I had wanted these to be accomplished as soon as possible. This infrastructure will be serving Azerbaijan for decades. Investment can be made in a place that has a base infrastructure. No businessman can invest in a place where there is no gas, electricity, water, and highways,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for final plenary meeting in spring session
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani president confers “People’s Artist” title on Yusif Eyvazov
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to convene extraordinary meeting
- 21.05.2018PACE sanction on Samad Seyidov ‘unfair’: OSCE PA vice-president
- 18.05.2018New head of Naftalan City Executive Authority appointed
- 18.05.2018Hasan Hasanov: First state called Azerbaijan established 7th century BC, when there was no trace of Armenians - INTERVIEW
- 18.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE sanctions – result of double-standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2018PACE decision directed against Azerbaijan’s economic development, says lawmaker
- 18.05.2018MP: Azerbaijan to continue its principled activity in PACE
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani lawmakers slam PACE sanctions decision
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new administrative building of New Azerbaijan Party
- 17.05.2018Head of Binagadi District Executive Authority dismissed
- 16.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Nakhchivan to escape from blockade once North-South Transport Corridor is ready
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits statue of national leader Heydar Aliyev in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Nakhchivan
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 15.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Mississipi
- 12.05.2018US to help North Korea's economy if it denuclearizes
- 11.05.2018Elchin Afandiyev awarded Shohrat Order
- 11.05.2018Rector of Azerbaijan State University of Culture and Arts removed from duty
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev appoints head of department for humanitarian policy issues at Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Rovshan Najaf appointed head of department at Azerbaijani Presidential Administration
- 11.05.2018Jewish community of Azerbaijan marks Day of Salvation and Liberation
- 11.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "Azerbaijan’s principled position on the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani President: "If Heydar Aliyev was at that time in Azerbaijan, he would not have allowed the Karabakh conflict to begin"
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends solemn ceremony to mark 95th anniversary of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Exhibition titled “Heydar Aliyev: Personality, Mission, Heritage” opens in Baku
- 10.05.2018Parliament speaker: Heydar Aliyev always lived up to Azerbaijani people’s expectations and proved to be a true leader
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament holding special meeting
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends tree-planting campaign on occasion of national leader Heydar Aliyev’s birthday
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijani Chamber of Accounts to present annual report in parliament
- 10.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits grave of national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan marks 95th birthday anniversary of National Leader Heydar Aliyev
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends ceremony to mark May 9 - Victory Day in Baku
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan marks Day of Victory in Great Patriotic War
- 08.05.2018Karabakh conflict settlement discussed at EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee meeting
- 07.05.2018Prosecutor General's Office: Extradition of person inflicted injures to Supreme Rada MP to be considered
- 07.05.2018Sabuhi Shahverdiyev appointed prosecutor for Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- 07.05.2018Ali Hasanov: Azerbaijani legislation allows NGOs to operate freely
- 07.05.2018Deputy PM comments on possible early parliamentary elections in Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan leading implementation of Southern Gas Corridor
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani people will return to their ancestral lands - Ilham Aliyev
- 30.01.2017President: Strong business sector created in Azerbaijan
- 28.01.2017Deputy prime minister: Our society is at stage of strict reforms
- 27.01.2017At least 20 killed in Somali rebel attack
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijani mother, two children killed in ISIL bombing in Syria