President: Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would’ve been impossible without first State Program
Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would have been impossible if the first State Program had not been adopted, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
The first and second programs on the development of districts have been successfully implemented, President Aliyev said addressing a conference dedicated to the results of third year implementation of "The State Program on socio-economic development of Azerbaijani districts in 2014-2018" in Baku Jan. 30.
“I’m confident that the third State Program will also be carried out successfully,” the president said, calling the first State Program a ‘historical step’.
“Today’s achievements of Azerbaijan would have been impossible if the first State Program had not been accepted,” President Aliyev said. “All of our cities have been renovated. Major infrastructure projects have been realized, which gives impetus to dynamic development in Azerbaijan. The first stage had more to do with infrastructure projects, which was reasonable.”
“In the first stage, we were unable to ensure our energy security. The Baku-Tbilisi-Jeyhan oil pipeline was still under construction. We were buying gas from abroad,” the head of state said noting that the first goal was to ensure our energy independence.
“Of the 35 existing electric stations, 26 have been built in the country since 2004 as part of the State Program. At the time, gasification was 51% in Azerbaijan, and in districts there was almost no gasification. Today gasification is 91%,” he added.
Speaking of the infrastructure projects, the president said there can not be investment or development in a country that has no highway infrastructure. “The construction of highway infrastructure brings together large manpower. The aim is to have quality highways connecting cities and villages,” he said.
The head of state recalled that four reservoirs have been built in the country over the past four years.
“I have to mention the Takhtakorpu, Shamkirchay, and Tovuzchay reservoirs,” the president said. “We import a significant amount of water resources from abroad. Thus we need to create our own water resources, which required massive investment. However, the main part of the work has been accomplished.”
President Aliyev pointed out that the main infrastructure projects have been realized since the first State Program.
“I had wanted these to be accomplished as soon as possible. This infrastructure will be serving Azerbaijan for decades. Investment can be made in a place that has a base infrastructure. No businessman can invest in a place where there is no gas, electricity, water, and highways,” he added.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Unlike many countries, last year we managed to maintain our foreign exchange reserves
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani president: If we acted under dictation of external powers, we would face great problems
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President joins Novruz festivities in Baku
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP slams local banks for taking advantage of hardship faced by citizens
- 17.03.2017Burbulis: Russia, Azerbaijan enjoy co-op at all levels
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan president signs pardon order - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani president: We overcame difficulties; there’ll be economic growth this year
- 16.03.2017Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway will connect not only countries but continents as well
- 13.03.2017German ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s north
- 13.03.2017Novruz Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 11.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission approves 450 pleas
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan Pardon Commission holds next meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs express dissatisfaction over distorted information on Wikipedia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani MP stresses need to tighten bill on information security
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament postpones plenary session
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijan parliament approves ombudsperson’s annual report - UPDATED
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani MPs praise Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment as first vice-president
- 07.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: It was great honor for me to be an Azerbaijani MP
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins next plenary meeting
- 07.03.2017US navy ship forced to change course after Iranian attack vessels approach
- 06.03.2017CEC terminates Mehriban Aliyeva’s parliamentary powers
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani government’s report for 2016 submitted to parliament
- 06.03.2017Mehman Huseynov arrested on concrete charges, attempts to politicize this issue inadmissible: Azerbaijani official
- 06.03.2017Two earthquakes recorded in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017Today marks Mammad Amin Rasulzade’s 62nd death anniversary
- 04.03.2017Members appointed of Observation Council of Youth Foundation under Azerbaijani President
- 01.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva views special boarding school in Turkan
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss bill on pension age rise on March 7
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament announces agenda for upcoming meeting
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani media reps: It’s inadmissible to spread disinformation of Armenian sources
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov’s books on genocide policy against Azerbaijanis presented
- 25.02.2017Ali Hasanov: Mehriban Aliyeva’s appointment will contribute to Azerbaijani people, state in coming years
- 25.02.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds event on occasion of 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Deputy PM: Our main goal is to legally punish perpetrators of Khojaly genocide
- 24.02.2017Trump vows military build-up, hammers nationalist themes
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani Parliament adopts bill on Khojaly Genocide - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017State Commission: Negotiations for Elnur Huseynzade ongoing with int’l organizations
- 30.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan leading implementation of Southern Gas Corridor
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani people will return to their ancestral lands - Ilham Aliyev
- 30.01.2017President: Strong business sector created in Azerbaijan
- 28.01.2017Deputy prime minister: Our society is at stage of strict reforms
- 27.01.2017At least 20 killed in Somali rebel attack
- 26.01.2017Azerbaijani mother, two children killed in ISIL bombing in Syria