Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
“A new page was opened in the history of the football of our country. FC Qarabag qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stage, and I sincerely congratulate you on this historic victory,” said the president. “You gave the people of Azerbaijan the joy of victory. In a tense struggle, you once again demonstrated that Azerbaijani sportsmen are strong, professional and attached to their people and state, and worthy represent their country on the international arena.”
President Aliyev stressed that this historic victory, at the same time, is important because it was gained by Qarabag football club which is dear to us all.
“Qarabag team bears the name of Karabakh and represents the city of Aghdam which is under occupation, so your victory is of great importance. It’s not just a sporting victory, it’s the victory of our state and Azerbaijani youth,” the head of state said. “We gain victories both on battlefields and sports arenas, just as in April of last year, heroic Azerbaijani servicemen, having shown heroism and courage, liberated a part of our lands from occupation. At present, full of life exists in these lands, and citizens have begun to return to the liberated territories. Now they are living there, building and creating. Now the flag of Azerbaijan is waving in these territories. And you also raised the Azerbaijani flag at a football stadium yesterday. Every patriotic citizen of Azerbaijan and millions of Azerbaijanis living abroad are very happy with your victory, and they are proud of the fact that the Azerbaijani football club, especially the team named after Karabakh, is now among the strongest teams of the world and Europe.”
The president called Qarabag’s victory ‘a manifestation of the development of football in Azerbaijan.’
“I’m very glad that football, the most popular sport in the world, is developing in Azerbaijan. We have long been waiting impatiently for this improvement and the victories of our football players. And we are witnessing this today. So our national team as well as clubs shows good results, worthy game, perseverance, will and patriotism. Therefore, I believe that football in our country will develop further, and both national teams and clubs will represent our country with dignity,” he said.
President Aliyev added that this victory is also the result of the work done in country’s sports in recent years because sport in Azerbaijan is part of the state policy.
Today, Azerbaijan is known as a sports country worldwide, said the president, hailing Azerbaijani athletes’ high results in world championships and the Olympic Games.
He stressed that the first European Games and the fourth Islamic Games held in Baku once again demonstrated the power of Azerbaijani athletes.
“Azerbaijan ranked second in the European Games medal standing and first in the 4th Islamic Games. This is a historic victory. At the same time, our athletes won 18 medals at the Rio Olympics last year. They took the 14th place in the world by the number of medals. This is historic achievement for a young and independent state. I’m very glad that football, the world’s most popular sport, is also developing in Azerbaijan. New stadiums are being built in the country. Historical Tofig Bahramov stadium was renovated a few years ago, an Olympic stadium with 70,000 spectators was built. Besides, stadiums are being constructed in districts as well. The development of sports depends on the availability of infrastructure. To this end, the most modern sports infrastructure is being created both in districts and Baku,” said the president.
President Aliyev went on to say that after this victory, children will be involved more into football, and the number of those who are willing to be football players and look like them will grow.
“Now you are known all over Azerbaijan. Attention will increase towards you. I’m confident that you will be a model for young people, young athletes in future as how you have behaved with dignity both in sports and in everyday life. Yesterday's victory is not accidental. You have been heading to this victory for many years”, he said.
Related news releases
- 13.01.2018Isa Gambar hospitalized for heart problem
- 13.01.2018Office of OSCE Representative on Freedom of Media should avoid taking tendentious approach toward Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson issues statement on 28th anniversary of January tragedy
- 11.01.2018Draft law on implementation by Azerbaijan of int'l organizations’ decisions to be tabled in parliament again
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to declare 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’ - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani president announces 2017 economic indicators
- 10.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan witnessed successful, rapid development in 2017
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev declares 2018 ‘Year of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic’
- 10.01.2018Grandson of famous Azerbaijani intellectual Ahmed bey Agaoglu passes away
- 08.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament denies reports of increase in MP salaries
- 04.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends Christmas congratulations to Azerbaijan’s Orthodox Christian community
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament not to discuss issue of electing new ombudsperson during spring session
- 04.01.2018Azerbaijan approves plan of events to commemorate 28th anniversary of 20 January tragedy
- 02.01.2018The Azerbaijani MFA expresses its attitude towards the events in Iran
- 02.01.2018Date set for Azerbaijani parliament’s first plenary meeting in 2018
- 01.01.2018Congratulatory address of Ilham Aliyev to the people of Azerbaijan on the occasion of the Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis and New Year
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament wraps up last plenary meeting in 2017
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani Parliament to mark 100th anniversary
- 28.12.2017Two more issues included in agenda of Azerbaijani parliament's last session for 2017
- 27.12.2017Rafael Gvaladze awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev signs order to increase minimum wage
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends congratulations on Day of Solidarity of World Azerbaijanis
- 24.12.2017Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani journalists extend birthday congratulations to President Ilham Aliyev - VIDEO
- 24.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended groundbreaking ceremony of first building in MIDA Hovsan residential complex
- 24.12.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev turns 56 today
- 23.12.2017India intends to cooperate with Azerbaijan on space
- 23.12.2017New Azerbaijan Party holds conference titled 'At the junction of East and West: New Energy and Communication Opportunities' - UPDATED
- 23.12.2017New excise rates set for goods imported to Azerbaijan
- 22.12.2017Procedure for calculation of old-age labor pensions in Azerbaijan announced
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: No problem in Azerbaijan on religious and national grounds
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: For Azerbaijan, Islamic solidarity is not only an idea but also a priority
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani to hold presidential election on 17 October 2018
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends int’l conference dedicated to Year of Islamic Solidarity
- 20.12.2017Survey: 85.2% of respondents will vote for President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.12.2017Georgia to pay special attention to teaching state language in regions with ethnic minorities
- 16.12.2017Azerbaijani First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva awarded high order of Russian Orthodox Church
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 15.12.2017Details emerge of CEC’s empowerment to strip an MP of mandate for ethics violations
- 15.12.2017Free airtime for election candidates remains in force, MP says
- 24.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Qarabag victory is an important event in promotion of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017New Interior Minister of Nakhchivan AR appointed
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva marks her birthday
- 24.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FC Qarabag squad
- 24.08.2017FC Qarabag return home after historic success
- 23.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves structure of Cabinet of Ministers Office