Ilham Aliyev: New page opened in Azerbaijan’s football history
“A new page was opened in the history of the football of our country. FC Qarabag qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stage, and I sincerely congratulate you on this historic victory,” said the president. “You gave the people of Azerbaijan the joy of victory. In a tense struggle, you once again demonstrated that Azerbaijani sportsmen are strong, professional and attached to their people and state, and worthy represent their country on the international arena.”
President Aliyev stressed that this historic victory, at the same time, is important because it was gained by Qarabag football club which is dear to us all.
“Qarabag team bears the name of Karabakh and represents the city of Aghdam which is under occupation, so your victory is of great importance. It’s not just a sporting victory, it’s the victory of our state and Azerbaijani youth,” the head of state said. “We gain victories both on battlefields and sports arenas, just as in April of last year, heroic Azerbaijani servicemen, having shown heroism and courage, liberated a part of our lands from occupation. At present, full of life exists in these lands, and citizens have begun to return to the liberated territories. Now they are living there, building and creating. Now the flag of Azerbaijan is waving in these territories. And you also raised the Azerbaijani flag at a football stadium yesterday. Every patriotic citizen of Azerbaijan and millions of Azerbaijanis living abroad are very happy with your victory, and they are proud of the fact that the Azerbaijani football club, especially the team named after Karabakh, is now among the strongest teams of the world and Europe.”
The president called Qarabag’s victory ‘a manifestation of the development of football in Azerbaijan.’
“I’m very glad that football, the most popular sport in the world, is developing in Azerbaijan. We have long been waiting impatiently for this improvement and the victories of our football players. And we are witnessing this today. So our national team as well as clubs shows good results, worthy game, perseverance, will and patriotism. Therefore, I believe that football in our country will develop further, and both national teams and clubs will represent our country with dignity,” he said.
President Aliyev added that this victory is also the result of the work done in country’s sports in recent years because sport in Azerbaijan is part of the state policy.
Today, Azerbaijan is known as a sports country worldwide, said the president, hailing Azerbaijani athletes’ high results in world championships and the Olympic Games.
He stressed that the first European Games and the fourth Islamic Games held in Baku once again demonstrated the power of Azerbaijani athletes.
“Azerbaijan ranked second in the European Games medal standing and first in the 4th Islamic Games. This is a historic victory. At the same time, our athletes won 18 medals at the Rio Olympics last year. They took the 14th place in the world by the number of medals. This is historic achievement for a young and independent state. I’m very glad that football, the world’s most popular sport, is also developing in Azerbaijan. New stadiums are being built in the country. Historical Tofig Bahramov stadium was renovated a few years ago, an Olympic stadium with 70,000 spectators was built. Besides, stadiums are being constructed in districts as well. The development of sports depends on the availability of infrastructure. To this end, the most modern sports infrastructure is being created both in districts and Baku,” said the president.
President Aliyev went on to say that after this victory, children will be involved more into football, and the number of those who are willing to be football players and look like them will grow.
“Now you are known all over Azerbaijan. Attention will increase towards you. I’m confident that you will be a model for young people, young athletes in future as how you have behaved with dignity both in sports and in everyday life. Yesterday's victory is not accidental. You have been heading to this victory for many years”, he said.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018115 int’l observers registered at CEC to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Presidential candidates granted 6-hour airtime per week: CEC
- 16.03.2018Parliamentary speaker: Solution to dollar loan problems of Azerbaijani population being considered
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament approves government’s annual report
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing compensation for demolished houses in Sovetsky
- 16.03.2018PM Artur Rasizade presenting government’s annual report at parliament
- 16.03.2018Reception was hosted for participants of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018The name of the head of the PACE observation mission at the elections in Azerbaijan is known
- 15.03.2018New deputy chairman of Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora appointed - EXCLUSIVE
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Founders of ADR would be proud of today’s Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan plays stabilizing role in region – president
- 15.03.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan among world leaders in terms of poverty, unemployment level
- 15.03.20186th Global Baku Forum kicks off
- 14.03.2018Isa Gambar discharged from Ankara hospital
- 14.03.2018Nazim Ibrahimov: Global Baku Forum to ruin anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 13.03.2018Five approved presidential candidates in Azerbaijan fail to submit voter signatures to CEC
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets OSCE PA delegation
- 13.03.2018UK: 2 in hospital after suspicious package at MP office
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani parliament to hold session dedicated to centenary of March 31 Genocide
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan invests $482M in Georgia last year
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of Penitentiary Service and Main Medical Department of Justice Ministry
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Customs Committee
- 10.03.2018About 1,500 people attend National Council’s rally
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to hold media event
- 10.03.2018CEC: 21 international, over 22,000 local observers registered for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC registers three more presidential candidates
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan to set up 41 polling stations abroad for presidential election
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: Nobody can ever defeat Azerbaijani state
- 10.03.2018Four arrested after balcony protest at Iranian embassy in London
- 09.03.2018Head of OSCE/ODIHR Election Observation Mission received at CEC
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing salaries for servicemen of Foreign Intelligence Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards servicemen of Internal Troops
- 09.03.2018MP: Azerbaijan likely to see another biased attitude of OSCE/ODIHR towards upcoming presidential election
- 08.03.2018New public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 3 more candidates for presidential election
- 07.03.2018Baku Mayor’s Office authorizes National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman comments on National Council’s March 10 rally
- 07.03.2018OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission to start working in Azerbaijan on March 8
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani women
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries for military servants and non-civil servants of Interior Troops
- 24.06.2008Samad Seyidov: “There are some true points in the report on Azerbaijan and those will be taken into consideration”
- 24.06.2008Mirmahmud Miralioglu: “Statements about the cooperation of Azerbaijan Popular Front Party, Musavat and Classical Popular Front Party are not real”
- 24.06.2008Azerbaijan’s President signs executive order on celebrating composer Arif Malikov’s 75th jubilee
- 24.06.2008Andres Herkel: “Azerbaijan should do much for execution of the undertaken commitments”
- 24.06.2008Greek Ambassador to Azerbaijan to visit Shaki
- 24.06.2008President Ilham Aliyev meets with Bulgarian outgoing ambassador