Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
Azerbaijan will mark the production of 2 billion tons of oil this year, said the country’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The president made the remarks during talks with oil workers as he viewed on Wednesday the newly reconstructed well in SOCAR's Bibiheybat field, the world’s first industrially drilled oil well.
"I have repeatedly said that Azerbaijan is the country where oil was for the first time extracted industrially, but its exact location was unknown. Therefore, I gave instructions to find the exact location. Of course, we knew it was in Bibiheybat area. Now its location has been specified, too. And a new beautiful monument was erected. I think that it’s a great event for both oil workers and tourists coming to our country,” said President Aliyev.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is the birthplace of oil.
"Today, after about 200 years, Azerbaijan is known as an oil and gas country worldwide. Our oil belongs to our people. At the time we were part of Tsarist Russia, and the natural resources extracted here did not exert such an influence on the life of our people. There was poverty. The Azerbaijani people possessed great wealth, but could not use this wealth. During the Soviet period, Azerbaijan also proved itself as an oil republic,” said Azerbaijan’s president.
President Aliyev hailed Azerbaijani oil workers’ decisive role in the victory over fascism.
“If during the Second World War there was no labor of Azerbaijani oil workers, the results of the war could be completely different. Azerbaijani oil workers played a decisive role in the victory over fascism,” said the president, adding. “This year we will celebrate the production of 2 billion tons of oil. Imagine, if Azerbaijan had at the time been an independent state, it would have been one of the richest countries in the world.”
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman meets with OSCE/ODIHR delegation
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend UN Human Rights Council’s session
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party wraps up signature campaign
- 21.02.2018Jens Stoltenberg: "NATO sees no Russian threat to any of its members"
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 20.02.2018Parl’t vice-speaker: Numerous int’l observers to monitor presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers decides on second phase of resettlement from Sovetski area of Baku
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC registers 13th presidential candidate
- 19.02.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan: Voter lists to be ready by March 3
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani government’s annual report expected to be tabled in parliament in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan presidential candidates to submit registrations to CEC
- 17.02.2018CEC receives 6 requests to observe presidential election
- 17.02.2018CEC Chairman: 13 people nominated for presidency as of yet
- 17.02.2018CEC approves presidential candidacy of another 7 people
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ruling party launches signature collection campaign in support of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy
- 15.02.2018New chairman of Nakhchivan Supreme Court appointed
- 15.02.2018Ramiz Rzayev reappointed chairman of Azerbaijan's Supreme Court
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office publicizes statistics of complaints about referendums and elections held since 2002
- 15.02.2018Thirteen candidates nominated for presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2018Unauthorized rallies during voting to be resolutely prevented, deputy minister says
- 15.02.2018No one can prevent transparent, democratic election campaigning in Azerbaijan – deputy minister
- 15.02.2018Deputy Minister: Unlike in Germany and other countries, prisoners in Azerbaijan hold their voting right
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC: Main condition for holding democratic elections is socio-political stability
- 15.02.2018Presidential aide: Local executive authorities instructed to review places for election campaigning
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev set tasks for authorities to ensure holding transparent election - official
- 15.02.2018Agenda for Azerbaijani parliament’s plenary session announced
- 15.02.2018Rules for student admission to higher education institutions changes in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitations to int’l organizations, parliaments of various countries for observation of presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani CEC chairman issues warning to executive representatives and officials
- 14.02.2018Plenipotentiary representatives of Azerbaijan’s ruling party for presidential election approved
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves candidacy of four more persons nominated for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC approves Ilham Aliyev’s presidential candidacy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to discuss approval of Ilham Aliyev’s candidacy for presidential election
- 13.02.2018Palestinian leader Abbas tells Putin he wants U.S. peace role diluted
- 12.02.2018Arzu Rahimov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 12.02.2018Plenipotentiary representative of Azerbaijan’s ruling party at presidential election appointed
- 12.02.2018Population’s free medical examination starts in Azerbaijan on Feb. 12
- 10.02.2018Umid (Hope) and Musavat Parties not to participate in presidential elections
- 10.02.2018New Azerbaijan Party holds republican meeting relating presidential elections
- 10.02.2018Official: NAP decision to nominate Ilham Aliyev for presidential election is supported by majority of Azerbaijani people
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling