Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan to mark production of 2 billion tons of oil this year
Azerbaijan will mark the production of 2 billion tons of oil this year, said the country’s President Ilham Aliyev.
The president made the remarks during talks with oil workers as he viewed on Wednesday the newly reconstructed well in SOCAR's Bibiheybat field, the world’s first industrially drilled oil well.
"I have repeatedly said that Azerbaijan is the country where oil was for the first time extracted industrially, but its exact location was unknown. Therefore, I gave instructions to find the exact location. Of course, we knew it was in Bibiheybat area. Now its location has been specified, too. And a new beautiful monument was erected. I think that it’s a great event for both oil workers and tourists coming to our country,” said President Aliyev.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is the birthplace of oil.
"Today, after about 200 years, Azerbaijan is known as an oil and gas country worldwide. Our oil belongs to our people. At the time we were part of Tsarist Russia, and the natural resources extracted here did not exert such an influence on the life of our people. There was poverty. The Azerbaijani people possessed great wealth, but could not use this wealth. During the Soviet period, Azerbaijan also proved itself as an oil republic,” said Azerbaijan’s president.
President Aliyev hailed Azerbaijani oil workers’ decisive role in the victory over fascism.
“If during the Second World War there was no labor of Azerbaijani oil workers, the results of the war could be completely different. Azerbaijani oil workers played a decisive role in the victory over fascism,” said the president, adding. “This year we will celebrate the production of 2 billion tons of oil. Imagine, if Azerbaijan had at the time been an independent state, it would have been one of the richest countries in the world.”
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018NATO issues statement on Gerasimov-Scaparrotti meeting in Baku
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss ombudsperson's annual report on April 24
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Only countries with strong economy can pursue independent policy
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Fight against corruption and bribery will continue in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Efforts for democratic development in Azerbaijan to be intensified
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani president: Armenian leadership fails to understand that destroyed mosques will live in our hearts
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Anti-national groups that became increasingly active during election ‘already marginalized’
- 18.04.2018Issues raised by candidates during election will be carefully considered: Azerbaijani president
- 18.04.2018President Aliyev: Democratic development in Azerbaijan has been very rapid over last 15 years
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Presidential election reflected Azerbaijani people’s will
- 18.04.2018Heads of religious confessions in Azerbaijan congratulate President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on execution of powers of government members
- 18.04.2018Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan resigns
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits National Flag Square
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev held - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Date set for inauguration ceremony of Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani Constitutional Court confirms April 11 presidential election results - UPDATED
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijan eyes to amend media rules in conditions of martial law
- 16.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ramiz Mehdiyev “Shohrat” Order
- 16.04.2018Plenum of Azerbaijani Constitutional Court on election results to be held tomorrow
- 15.04.2018Azerbaijan's CEC sums up presidential election results
- 15.04.2018Azerbaijani MP Astan Shahverdiyev passes away
- 15.04.2018Azerbajiani presidential election results cancelled at 4 polling stations
- 14.04.2018Azerbaijan’s CEC to summarize presidential election results on April 15
- 14.04.2018About 1,000 people attend National Council’s rally - UPDATED
- 13.04.2018Ziyafat Asgarov: OSCE/ODIHR statement on Azerbaijan election ‘completely biased’
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani official: Some members of ODIHR mission only engaged in contacts with opposition
- 13.04.2018Vugar Ahmadov: Azerbaijan election report by OSCE/ODIHR ‘pre-prepared’
- 13.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev: "No outside force can make us turn from this path"
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "I always rely on the support of the Azerbaijani people"
- 12.04.2018“They showed disrespect to the will of the Azerbaijani people" - OPINION
- 12.04.2018Siyavush Novruzov: We should throw their reports at airport so they can take them along when they leave
- 12.04.2018Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Czech ambassador
- 12.04.2018ECR mission: Presidential election in Azerbaijan held in accord with national legislation
- 12.04.2018Baku Mayor's Office authorizes National Council to hold rally
- 12.04.2018Zahid Oruj congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Gudrat Hasanguliyev phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Italian observer: No restrictions on int’l observers during presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Presidential election in Azerbaijan was free: Freedom and Democracy Fund
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan names new deputy head of Anti-Corruption Department
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijan to restrict use of hookah and electronic cigarette
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijani CEC initiates investigation into several political parties
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani parliament begins plenary session
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service granted new powers in making list of domestic terrorists
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan to impose heavy fines for prostitution and gambling